PDA

View Full Version : New X3 and I got questions

ViperNY
03-02-2007, 06:15 PM
Just got my new X3 today with 2 miles on the clock. Here is the final package and spec's,
2007 X3Si
Base Price: $38,000
Destination Charge: $695
Exterior Features:
Black Sapphire Metallic $475
Interior Features:
Beigh with Nevada Leather
Packages:
Cold Weather Package $1,000
- Ski Bag
- Heated Front Seats
- Heated Rear Seats
- Retractable Headlight Washers
Options:
Sport Package $2,200
STEPTRONIC 6-Speed Automatic Transmission $0
Premium Package $2,450
Privacy Glass $350
On-Board Navigation System $1,800
Premium Sound System $675
Accessories:
Aerodynamic Package $0
Shadowline Trim $0
Auto-Dimming Exterior Rearview Mirrors $0
Phone cradle $0
Cargo rubber mat $0

Price As Built: $47,645
Price Paid: $45,100 (leased)

I will take some pictures tomorrow, too much rain today. Anyway, I have a question about the optional alarm that I did not go for. I noticed tonight as I looked out my window that the red light under the rear view mirror is blinking just like my 525i. Does this blink even if you dont have the alarm installed, or do you think they put it in during all the confusion that went on during the deal.

Vipz

stangmatt66
03-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes, the clown-nose can be programmed to blink without the alarm.

AzNMpower32
03-02-2007, 06:39 PM
The clown nose can flash, but it doesnt mean you have the alarm.

x3ronnie
03-02-2007, 07:07 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but what does the clown nose do?

kjboyd
03-02-2007, 07:58 PM
it blinks.

SFX3
03-03-2007, 12:09 AM
.....and what exactly is privacy glass?

MJS
03-03-2007, 04:23 AM
Very nice! Congrats! Sounds like a beautiful combo.

Privacy glass is kinda like a very light tint. Very light.

x3ronnie
03-03-2007, 06:58 AM
it blinks.

So is that it? Mine doesn't blink. I mean does it serve any purpose, or is it strictly there to blink (or not in my case).

MMME30W
03-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but what does the clown nose do?

You press it, and it goes "honk honk". :D

No, seriously, for those without an alarm, you can get it programmed so when the car is locked it blinks periodically giving the impression you have an alarm.

UncleJ
03-03-2007, 07:52 AM
On my '06 the clown nose also is a rear view mirror dimmer switch, that works by turning it. I don't have (and didn't want) the automatic darkening mirror(s). I like the nose because I can see at a glance if the car is locked. I don't have the alarm either.

x3ronnie
03-03-2007, 09:42 AM

No, seriously, for those without an alarm, you can get it programmed so when the car is locked it blinks periodically giving the impression you have an alarm.

LOL!

erikbmw1
03-08-2007, 10:39 AM
:thumbup:

kjboyd
03-08-2007, 12:11 PM
why is that funny? it's assures me that i have indeed, locked my doors.

x3pig
03-08-2007, 01:37 PM
OK - this brings up an issue I have with how BMW decided to package things in 2007. The problem is that unless you have the actual alarm installed (I was quoted C$700 here in Canada) there is no way to setup the car to provide positive feedback that the car is locked using the remote. The clown nose does not start blinking until about 30 s to a minute after I lock the car with the remote, which makes it useless for this purpose. At the same time the turn signals blink regardless of whether the car actually got locked (i.e. all doors are closed before hitting the lock button) so this is not very useful either.

My other car is a VW and they have a good system for this. First, the lights always blink when you hit the lock/unlock button. However, the car will chirp the horn when it is actually locked (if door / liftgate is open when I hit the remote lock button it will do it only after they are physically closed). And funnily enough VW manage to do all this without a $700 option.

Did anyone find a reasonable solution to this (other than: oh, well, we got to live with this)?

kjboyd
03-08-2007, 03:08 PM
something must be wrong with your electrics then, because my lights blink immediately with the lock and unlock feature.. including the Clown Nose... obvisouly you have a Canada spec car so that might be the difference.

AzNMpower32
03-08-2007, 04:42 PM
This would be an excellent joke if BMW actually manufactured a handful of BMWs with this feature. :rofl:

(Some random couple, first time BMW) "Honey, what's this red thing under the mirror for" "Um, I don't know sweetie. Can you push it?" "honk honk" :confused:

David1
03-09-2007, 06:52 AM
Yes, the clown-nose can be programmed to blink without the alarm.

Are you sure about this on the O7? I have an 07 and 3 dealers say it is not possible to do, but could be done on the 06's wothout the alarm. Either way I don't care. A blinking light won't stop a smash and grab.

UncleJ
03-09-2007, 08:22 AM
Neither will an alarm for that matter. With a flashing light how will the perp know it is not an alarm? My clown nose blinks after the car is locked and the turn lights flash. No chirp from the horn but an audible "clunk" from the locking. I suppose an alarm is useful, but frankly I have had more trouble with them then I feel they are worth. Think about it when was the last time you heard a car alarm (not your own) go off and did something about it?

ViperNY
03-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Are you sure about this on the O7? I have an 07 and 3 dealers say it is not possible to do, but could be done on the 06's wothout the alarm. Either way I don't care. A blinking light won't stop a smash and grab.

My X3 is 1 week old, stick says 2007 and the light blinks when the truck is locked. I had not requested anything special with regards to programming other than day time running lights and one click unlocking for drivers door only, two clicks to unlock all doors.

Vipz

midijab
03-09-2007, 10:40 AM

I have an 07 with no alarm, but my clown nose does blink. Here's how the dealer activated an E46 to get the clown nose to blink without alarm. I would assume the procedure would be very similar for the X3.

1) Have your dealer hook up the shop computer (MODIC) to the car.
2) Go to the "Anti-Theft" activation section.
3) Activate the alarm, but uncheck the "DWA" option.

After this is done, your corner light should blink once when locked and twice when unlocked remotely. In addition, the clown nose will blink when car is locked just as if an alarm was present.

Some of the SA's need to have you help guide them through the process. Buy them a latte, tell them you're an enthusiast, and you're looking to have your car just the way you want it. ;)

x3pig
03-09-2007, 06:21 PM
midijab - this gives me an idea - perhaps it is possible to just install the alarm siren without all the other sensors and code the car to chirp when locking, etc.

Has anyone try to do something along these lines?