PDA

View Full Version : Strange sound coming from the central dash area

SFX3
03-03-2007, 01:22 AM
Anyone ever hear a foreign sound coming from the central vent area when the fan is on medium to medium high? Pitch changes as you accelerate. Pitch does not change when the car is in park and you gas it. Sound can be described as ticking like-to belts (engine)slipping...but Im pretty sure its not the fan or alternator belt.

x3ronnie
03-03-2007, 07:59 AM
I have been hearing a whining noise, and I thought it might be the climate control fan. Not wanting to go in for service, I try to ignore it.

SFX3
03-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I try to ignore it for the sound comes and goes...but when its there its annoyingly loud enough to get on my nerves if the music isnt on.

imenezes
03-22-2007, 03:25 PM
I get the same sound too on my 2004 X3 2.5i. Its highly annoying. The tech said it was a loose tensioner but a week after the service it restarted. The sound also varies with weather conditions (ie. in winter the sound is minimal) probably due to contracting of the tensioner. Recommend you get them to look into it.

petren
03-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Yes, there is a TSB for that. go to the dealer and quote TSB 64 18 05. I had that fixed too. They replaced the fan

SFX3
03-23-2007, 04:01 PM
I got my car serviced for this complaint. The work order said a faulty "final stage unit" was replaced. The noise disappeared for about a week and then came back. Now its worse than ever. Guess I'll have to take it in for that TSB listed above. Thanks Petren.

x3ronnie
03-28-2007, 04:45 AM
Recently the noise has gone completely away. I wonder if it is related to the cold temperatures. Unless I have to go in for service for something else, I will try to ignore it (if it comes back).