PDA

View Full Version : Nav or no Nav

clarksongknight
03-03-2007, 03:14 AM
Have 08 550i on order, cw,sp,sat.ipod, etc no nav. Will this effect resale, I really dont need it but should I reconsider. Also,those who thought they would not use it ,do you? Last, is the Bmw system well thought out, when nav is on what else does the screen show. Your input will be helpful. Thanks

jagu
03-03-2007, 03:20 AM
Buy it ony if you need it. It will be outdated when you're ready to sell the car.

clarksongknight
03-03-2007, 04:19 AM
Thank you. I am trying to not listen to my 17 year old mechanical engineering major who thinks all gadgets are great. Besides, if I get into my car in the morning and I dont know where i am going I am in trouble! My son is the me major.

Rubber Ducky
03-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Have 08 550i on order, cw,sp,sat.ipod, etc no nav. Will this effect resale, I really dont need it but should I reconsider. Also,those who thought they would not use it ,do you? Last, is the Bmw system well thought out, when nav is on what else does the screen show. Your input will be helpful. Thanks
It works well and BMW keeps improving it. If you're buying, it will help resale. If you're leasing (36 mos. example), it costs about $900 spread over the course of the lease. Good system and could save your butt someday. This is a $60-70 K car, top of the line - you want a stripped version?

(I have in our 550i and find it extremely useful and functional - and it has saved my butt more than once. Don't be a schmuck - buy the nav.)

krash
03-03-2007, 05:47 AM
$60k car without NAV?

Seems silly.

$25k Nissan Altima's have NAV Systems.

bimmerturn
03-03-2007, 05:50 AM
You got to get the NAV, even if you don't think you will need it now I am sure you will when you have it. :)

Me530
03-03-2007, 07:04 AM
Get NAV.

sph17
03-03-2007, 07:20 AM
Then again if you need NAV you can spend about $300 for a Garmin StreetPilot with no DVD needed.

You can load the whole USA either onto a 1 GIG SD card or the HD of the unit, and switch it from vehicle to vehicle as needed, or take it with you on a trip to use in a rental car. If you tavel to Europe you can get an SD card of all of Europe for under $300 to use on your trip.

Yes, it is rediculous that the unit and all of the US costs about what just the SD card for Europe alone costs.

Just another thought.

NASA43
03-03-2007, 08:21 AM
I never had a Nav system and always used the good old Road Atlas. I picked up a 530i this week at the Performance Center and drove it back home to Alabama. I decided to go through Asheville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga back to Huntsville for a more scenic route than going thru Atlanta.

All I can say is I love Nav now. I have HUD also so the directions appear in the HUD display showing you how far to the next road change as well as whether you are turning left or right. Also, the voice directions tell you what to do. I got Nav so I could get the HUD. I'm glad I got both. :thumbup:

KrisL
03-03-2007, 08:25 AM
Buy it ony if you need it. It will be outdated when you're ready to sell the car.

Psh.

My 2003 E46 has nav, and it's certainly not outdated. As a matter of fact, firmware updates are still happening adding features! I've got a 2007 map disc and it works great.

I've got a Garmin Nuvi 350 that rocks - I use it whenever I'm in a different vehicle - but when I'm in my car? I use the nav. It lowers the volume on my audio when it gives directions and other things that a portable unit just can't do. People are still actively hacking it too - there's applications out there that allow you to change the startup screen, all the text, and even the voices.

So yes, get nav. It's one of the only options that carries some resale value.

Rubber Ducky
03-03-2007, 08:30 AM
I never had a Nav system and always used the good old Road Atlas. I picked up a 530i this week at the Performance Center and drove it back home to Alabama. I decided to go through Asheville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga back to Huntsville for a more scenic route than going thru Atlanta.

All I can say is I love Nav now. I have HUD also so the directions appear in the HUD display showing you how far to the next road change as well as whether you are turning left or right. Also, the voice directions tell you what to do. I got Nav so I could get the HUD. I'm glad I got both. :thumbup:
Hey, NASA43 is really right about HUD + NAV - either one without the other is silly.

Rubber Ducky
03-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Psh. People are still actively hacking it too - there's applications out there that allow you to change the startup screen, all the text, and even the voices.
Where might one find access to these hacks? Tks.

stevepow
03-03-2007, 08:49 AM
Get the Nav - crazy to get a car like that without that option.

More details on the Hacks, please :-)

KrisL
03-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Where might one find access to these hacks? Tks.

Over on the X5World navigation forum:
http://www.x5world.com/navigation-system

I've also got some information on my own web page. I also have a download link to custom hacked firmware that I made:
http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/nav

These hacks are for the pre-idrive cars. iDrive hasn't been hacked yet from what I know... give it a year or two...

Mikebuzzsaw
03-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Nav is awesome. I use it almost everyday driving to random clients addresses.

Scared of it getting out of date? Borrow your friends 08' BMW Nav DVD and just copy it...

HWF
03-03-2007, 12:56 PM
If you get the NAV, you also get RTTI. May or may not be of interest to you.

stream
03-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Voice command also comes with nav, which is useful.

I hardly ever use nav (in a few cars I've owned), but I bought my car from dealer inventory and all the 545i cars came with nav ordered. In fact, since I had the MP3 retrofit done a year ago, I've had the nav DVD in the glovebox (and used it perhaps twice) since I use the DVD drive for MP3 DVDs (8 GB each). Don't think I'd order it in future car.

zoomlens
03-03-2007, 02:22 PM
NAV is great...a big improvement from the version on my former 2002 model.

vern
03-03-2007, 03:24 PM

+ 1 good choice, Nav and HUD. Wouldn't have another car without it if it was offered.
cheers
vern

Alex550
03-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Get the NAV!

adgrant
03-03-2007, 08:19 PM
Then again if you need NAV you can spend about $300 for a Garmin StreetPilot with no DVD needed.

What the Garmin will need though is a clear view of the sats. Better not drive though the Big Dig tunnels and expect the Garmin NAV to work.

Bedford530i
03-03-2007, 08:49 PM
What the Garmin will need though is a clear view of the sats. Better not drive though the Big Dig tunnels and expect the Garmin NAV to work.

Kind of hard to get lost in a tunnel (even if it is the Big Dig). :rofl:

More of a problem in a city where a clear view to the satellites is obstructed by tall buildings.

KrisL
03-03-2007, 08:58 PM

More of a problem in a city where a clear view to the satellites is obstructed by tall buildings.

New units with the Sirf III chipset generally have no problems at all.

adgrant
03-03-2007, 09:07 PM

That may depend on the tunnel. Even if you don't get lost in the tunnel (or on the lower deck of a bridge), there may be a highway intersection on the other end of the tunnel. A portable NAV unit may take several minutes before it locks back on to the sats.

adgrant
03-03-2007, 09:08 PM
New units with the Sirf III chipset generally have no problems at all.

Not true at all. I have a Sirf III unit and it has problems in Manhattan. No GPS will work in a tunnel or under an overpass or on the lower deck of a bridge.

JSpira
03-03-2007, 09:32 PM
No GPS will work in a tunnel or under an overpass or on the lower deck of a bridge.

The integrated satnav systems, such as in our cars, will work by using dead reckoning. I find that DR is pretty accurate btw.

adgrant
03-03-2007, 09:41 PM
The integrated satnav systems, such as in our cars, will work by using dead reckoning. I find that DR is pretty accurate btw.

Which is why the BMW Nav system is better than any of the $300 hand held units being suggested by sph17.

JSpira
03-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Which is why the BMW Nav system is better than any of the $300 hand held units being suggested by sph17.Works for me. :thumbup:

MSAMMY
03-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Get the NAV, it's awsome and well worth the price. At first, I didn't think I needed another Woman telling me what to do and how to get there, but after listening to her, I found my way to several locations I would have never found with a "Google" map. It's awesome and you can "shut her up" by clicking on the Idrive and follow the onscreen directions yourself. Again, order the NAV. the map is awesome!!! :thumbup:

kevinp
03-04-2007, 05:40 AM
I would demo. the nav in a car prior to buying it, or better, find someone with the nav and try theirs. My friend has a 2006 750Li and after trying his nav extensively, I decided to keep the $2000, but a Garmin C330, use it in my BMW, in our van for trips and in rentals when we vacation or when I'm on business.

Good luck on your choice:rofl:

simplemind
03-04-2007, 05:54 AM
I would demo. the nav in a car prior to buying it, or better, find someone with the nav and try theirs. My friend has a 2006 750Li and after trying his nav extensively, I decided to keep the $2000, but a Garmin C330, use it in my BMW, in our van for trips and in rentals when we vacation or when I'm on business.

Good luck on your choice:rofl:

I think if you have already spent the $2k, then "it's the only way to go", if you know what I mean :D

The way to know for sure is to demo the OEM nav with a Garmin sitting on the dash. Perform several tests, see not only which one is easier to use, but which is more accurate.
Sure, I like the clean, built-in look, but functionally, there is nothing yet in OEM to match the Garmins. Also, where I have the C550 located (near the A-Pillar), it is much easier to view without completely taking my eyes off the road. If I were going the OEM route, HUD would be a requirement, but that also adds another $k.
BTW, check Fry's for the C330 - $280 now :thumbup:

kevinp
03-04-2007, 08:16 AM
I think if you have already spent the $2k, then "it's the only way to go", if you know what I mean :D

The way to know for sure is to demo the OEM nav with a Garmin sitting on the dash. Perform several tests, see not only which one is easier to use, but which is more accurate.
Sure, I like the clean, built-in look, but functionally, there is nothing yet in OEM to match the Garmins. Also, where I have the C550 located (near the A-Pillar), it is much easier to view without completely taking my eyes off the road. If I were going the OEM route, HUD would be a requirement, but that also adds another $k.
BTW, check Fry's for the C330 - $280 now :thumbup:

Simple,

Thanks for your input, we are the few exceptions with our opinion.:thumbup:

adgrant
03-04-2007, 08:34 AM
Sure, I like the clean, built-in look, but functionally, there is nothing yet in OEM to match the Garmins.

The opposite is true. See dead reckoning.

chuck92103
03-04-2007, 08:37 AM
The opposite is true. See dead reckoning.

+1 You need to compare the $1500 Garmin to the built in Nav for the entry level Garmin model does not have a lot of features or the same level of map detail.

Translation = You get what you pay for.

sph17
03-04-2007, 08:52 AM
Which is why the BMW Nav system is better than any of the $300 hand held units being suggested by sph17.Neither of my E39's have NAV, so the Garmin was the way I chose to go. I decided that the entry level units filled my need, so we bought two. In the three months we have had them they have been more than worth what we paid for them.

Are they perfect, no. Are there things I would like to be differnt or better, yes. Do I like them siiting on my dash or stuck to the windshield by the rear view mirror, no. Would I leave them home when I am going on a trip because of their "weaknesses", no.

I didn't advocate purchasing a $300 portable GPS unit over built in NAV, I put it out as an altenative.

I would like to have built in NAV and HUD in my next vehicle, but if I found a great vehicle without them, I would be tempted to purchase it, and put a portable GPS in it.

adgrant
03-04-2007, 09:50 AM
I would like to have built in NAV and HUD in my next vehicle, but if I found a great vehicle without them, I would be tempted to purchase it, and put a portable GPS in it.

Typically if you want NAV in a 3 series you have to order the car not buy it off the lot. I have ordered the last 4 cars I have leased. The last three all had NAV.

kevinp
03-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, the old motto, "to each, his own" certainly sums up the feelings on having a built-in nav or a portable device.

Choice is a wonderful thing!:thumbup:

simplemind
03-04-2007, 03:05 PM
+1 You need to compare the $1500 Garmin to the built in Nav for the entry level Garmin model does not have a lot of features or the same level of map detail.

"Dead reckoning is a ***8220;backup***8221; feature that allows a vehicle navigation system to continue estimating your location in situations where it***8217;s unable to receive signals from GPS satellites.

The location calculated by dead reckoning usually become less accurate the longer you go without GPS reception."

Maybe I just don't see the value of DR for me. I don't spend a lot of time in tunnels or downtown NYC, and I have yet to not get reception, except in my garage. :yikes:

I didn't need more confusion in my life, so I guess I didn't get what I didn't pay for :D

Would I never get OEM nav....., I would, when they get there act together, but I still say it IS nice to have it built-in w/ HUD!

royz86
03-06-2007, 12:11 AM
oh c'mon, 550 without nav?

lots of 530s with nav nowadays, so go with it... also resale value will be affected as you sell the car, well at least those who are looking for "top of the line bmw" will also demand navigation systems built into the car...

mason
03-06-2007, 06:38 AM
Nav is great. It eases your frustration. It reduces the tension between you and the other half. I can assure you that this is not just a gadet talk.

dillusiv
03-07-2007, 01:21 AM
who can i goto to get nav retro fit /w rtti (/w voice command prompts etc...)? I have an530xi 2006. I avoided the nav after being so frsutrated with the inputs when i demo'd it in the car.... but after a year without nav... been thinking about just having it for the sake of just having it seems better than to have nothing... (been spoiled by Japanese NAV systems)

obi.wan
03-07-2007, 08:44 AM
Having used the Volvo Nav for about 4 years that I thought was significanlty inadequate, I have realized that the bmw one is even worse off.
The volvo one is way better.

I think Nuvi is way better than any integrated one BUT

I cannot stand the wires, positioning etc.

so I would still get the BMW one again and curse everytime I use it.

simplemind
03-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Having used the Volvo Nav for about 4 years that I thought was significanlty inadequate, I have realized that the bmw one is even worse off.
The volvo one is way better.

I think Nuvi is way better than any integrated one BUT

I cannot stand the wires, positioning etc.

so I would still get the BMW one again and curse everytime I use it.

Well said! :thumbup:

ks-man
03-07-2007, 07:18 PM
I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but what is HUD? I'm assuming it is something Up Display (Head's?), but reading it on this board it sounds like it is a separate option from the nav-system. I don't see it listed as an option though. Can you get HUD without Nav and if so what will it do? Thanks.

simplemind
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm sure I will get flamed for this, but what is HUD? I'm assuming it is something Up Display (Head's?), but reading it on this board it sounds like it is a separate option from the nav-system. I don't see it listed as an option though. Can you get HUD without Nav and if so what will it do? Thanks.

You are right, Heads Up Display, but not available w/o also getting Nav. :mad:

ks-man
03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Is there anything the HUD does other than show the Nav? Also is it include with the NAV or do you have to pay extra to get it?

ks-man
03-08-2007, 12:31 AM
Never mind, I found the info.

adgrant
03-08-2007, 12:06 PM
who can i goto to get nav retro fit /w rtti (/w voice command prompts etc...)? I have an530xi 2006. I avoided the nav after being so frsutrated with the inputs when i demo'd it in the car.... but after a year without nav... been thinking about just having it for the sake of just having it seems better than to have nothing... (been spoiled by Japanese NAV systems)

I don't think a retrofit is cost effective but check out http://www.bimmernav.com.

I agree that the UI in the BMW Nav system leaves something to be desired but skipping NAV altogether does seem like an overreaction.

ks-man
03-08-2007, 01:57 PM
So I was looking on BMW's website about HUD, but it doesn't give very good information on it...neither does Edmunds. Does anybody have a link with the information about everything HUD offers? I'm trying to decide if I want it (I think I do), but I first want to know what I will get for it. Thanks.

deelee
03-12-2007, 01:24 PM
what all voice commands does the nav follow?have a 528xi with nav in production

Rubber Ducky
03-12-2007, 01:29 PM
what all voice commands does the nav follow?have a 528xi with nav in production
Listed here...

deelee
03-12-2007, 02:11 PM
thanks fo the info.but can you give an example as to how it is done..like for air distribution?or with some other example