PDA

View Full Version : Where does the term "evo" or "evolution" come from...

bmw325
01-15-2003, 02:32 PM
When referring to cars of course...
There's a magazing called "Evo", and the high performance models from several car companies have the word "Evo" in their name. I think there was an e30 M3 that was called the "Evolution sport". So what's the derivation of this term? It does seem to be most prevalent on UK market cars, so I assume it originated there?

PropellerHead
01-15-2003, 02:39 PM
In 1762, a biologist named Bonnet first used the term evolution to describe the theory of embryological development. Bonnet believed that each embryo grew from a little homunculus contained within the egg, with each homunculus containing eggs, each carrying its own homunculus, and so on like a set of Russian nesting dolls.
In common usage, which dates from at least 1647, evolution was a concept of progress, the idea that things developed from simple to complex in an orderly manner.

Kaz
01-15-2003, 03:14 PM
The most common origin on cars I can think of is on euro E30M3s and MB 190E 16v cars when they would continue to 'evolve' them for Touring Car homologation.

More recently Mitsubishi has used the term on the WRC-homologation Lancers over the past decade, and now on a rally version of the Pajero.

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 03:29 PM
Not to forget the Lancia Delta Integrale EVO

Kaz
01-15-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Alex Baumann
Not to forget the Lancia Delta Integrale EVO

Ah, the Delta Integrale...

http://www.whalley-integrale.uk.com/airbig.gif

:thumbup:

Was there ever a Stratos EVO preceeding it?

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Kaz

Was there ever a Stratos EVO preceeding it?

Not that I know of.

Delta was an awesome car. As I was in the college in UK, a good classmate buddy of mine (he was from Andorra) had one. We used to drive from the campus to Nottingham on those twisty british roads. It was hell of a fun :thumbup:

Alex Baumann
01-15-2003, 03:46 PM
I was doing a google search and found out that even Porsche had an EVO :D