PDA

View Full Version : GGT gone for 08 MT 550i?

Mac Daddy
03-03-2007, 09:51 AM
Pouring over the new brochure it appears that the manual transmission 550i's EPA ratings (17/24) are up from 2007 models, and about the same as the steptronic (17/25). Also, there is no mention of the Gas Guzzler Tax on the newly released pricing sheets!

Has the $1300 GGT gone away for the 6-speed 550i? :clap:

Tanin
03-03-2007, 03:19 PM
Could have been a mistake but I didn't pay GGT on my 550 I picked up 10 days ago. It was never in my quote when ordered and I keep waiting for the the dealer to bring it up during delivery. :dunno:

FYI: no mention of GGT on the window sticker either :thumbup:

RMK
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I understand from my dealer, and he showed me the center net broadcast to dealers, that there is no longer a gas guzzler tax on both the 550 and 650 and that has been off for some time.

jcflys
03-03-2007, 10:38 PM
I concur, I ordered my 550i today and specifically asked about the Gas Guzzler Tax and was told that there is none. That was a nice surprise.

Mac Daddy
03-04-2007, 06:20 AM
That's a nice little windfall! :thumbup:

I had $1300 factored in to the plan for the hated GGT. It never made sense to me that the manual transmission cars paid it while the autos didn't anyway.

///M Rakete
03-04-2007, 07:22 AM
It never made sense to me that the manual transmission cars paid it while the autos didn't anyway.

It's a reflection of the interoperability between the engine and an automatically controlled transmission that is possible with today's computer technology. Unlike the past where there was an efficiency defecit with the automatic transmission today it can equal or even beat a manual configuration in terms of emissions and fuel efficiency. Now I suspect that some of this may be a false advantage (the fuel economy) because of the EPA's test cycle and how the cars are driven. Even with the recent change in the test cycle to reflect more real world driving I still wonder. What will be interesting is whether the Automatic Sport Transmission has a different rating or not. The 2008 brochure has a separate 0-60 specification for this configuration but it's still "TBD". Is it possible that the automatic will produce near SMG-like shifts and performance?