PDA

View Full Version : 2007 BMW X3 Adaptive Brake Light Question

Icealicy
03-03-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi guys, today I tested my 2007 BMW X3 (safely, lol) to see if the Adaptive Brake Lights would turn on. I think they are yellow right? I've seen them on some other BMW X3 at the dealership when it braked at one point... Anyways, without going off topic, my question is that are the adaptive brake lights on the 2007 BMW X3? Mine did not turn on. I've heard somewhere on this forum it depends on the speed, and the brake force (like 16 ft per bla bla bla) w/e... Anyways I will try tomorrow to see if they work, but at a greater speed. Yes I will try it safely, and not on the street with other cars. Rather in my neighborhood on a clear road in front of my house... Rofl. Any information is helpful...

AzNMpower32
03-03-2007, 08:57 PM
You cannot physically, possibly see your own adaptive brake lights work while you are driving the vehicle...............

IIRC, I think another set of taillamps come on when the adaptive brake lights come into play. They come into play when ABS is activated or when DBC takes over the brakes.

Icealicy
03-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention this: my cousin was standing in the back to see if they were turning on. He said "no". He reported none of the yellow adaptive brake lights come on.

MTLX3
03-03-2007, 09:04 PM
I though they were just brighter red...:dunno:

Icealicy
03-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Also, I hate the lag in the the car... When I accelerate from a red light it's like on gear 2, and then it switches to 1, and then it goes to 2... Wtf? I hate this. My dad doesn't notice this because he's not an enthusiast about noticing this. However, I do, it drives me nuts! Hehe.

Icealicy
03-03-2007, 09:06 PM
I though they were just brighter red...:dunno:
Well I've seen them yellow @ a BMW dealer. Yes it was a X3 2007...

Here is a pic from some other place somewhere I got from the web:
http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2060913.009/2060913.009.mini9L.jpg

dug01
03-03-2007, 09:11 PM
Well I've seen them yellow @ a BMW dealer. Yes it was a X3 2007...

Here is a pic from some other place somewhere I got from the web:
http://www.germancarfans.com/news/2060913.009/2060913.009.mini9L.jpg
I would think that yellow brake lights are not legal in the US--only red. When braking hard extra lights come on above and inboard of the regular stop lights.--this is standard equipment.

AzNMpower32
03-03-2007, 09:18 PM
does the owner's manual not say which lights come on? cuz it does on my '04.

MJS
03-04-2007, 06:01 AM
does the owner's manual not say which lights come on? cuz it does on my '04.

Owner's Manual? What is this thing you speak of?

mapezzul
03-04-2007, 06:17 AM
Adaptive brake lights are indeed RED not yellow. They will only come on in emergency braking situations such as when ABS is activated. It is a second cluster of bulbs in a red area of the light that in the EU is used for the rear fog light. In the US there are stipulations on the rear fog in certain states so BMW does not include that feature, instead they add the adaptive braking here in the US, in the EU adaptive braking is illegal. US DOT regulations mandate that brake lights must be red. Best of luck oh and on the BMWUSA website I believe there is a video of one of the cars with these lights working.

MJS
03-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Adaptive brake lights are indeed RED not yellow. They will only come on in emergency braking situations such as when ABS is activated. It is a second cluster of bulbs in a red area of the light that in the EU is used for the rear fog light. In the US there are stipulations on the rear fog in certain states so BMW does not include that feature, instead they add the adaptive braking here in the US, in the EU adaptive braking is illegal. US DOT regulations mandate that brake lights must be red. Best of luck oh and on the BMWUSA website I believe there is a video of one of the cars with these lights working.

Good info!

The link on BMW's site doesn't show it in action on a X3, but here it is.

http://www.bmwusa.com/uniquelybmw/Innovations/Safety/Safety_Innovations

Icealicy
03-16-2007, 06:42 PM
Are you guys serious? MY BMW X3 I checked recently has these adaptive break lights! Wow. Lol...

Sonoman707
03-18-2007, 10:13 PM
My '04 has 'em... and they work... and they are red.

:dunno:

phuksi
03-20-2007, 08:09 AM
It is a second cluster of bulbs in a red area of the light that in the EU is used for the rear fog light.

I don't know about MY2007 but in MY2006 the rear fog was in the trunk door (either on left, right or both sides or not at all depending on the market). And it has another brake light bulb right next to the normal brake light for lighting larger area under hard braking. As we know in MY2007 the lights have been redesigned and the rear fog has been relocated to what seems to be the left and right lower corners (based on the pic in the thread).

In the US there are stipulations on the rear fog in certain states so BMW does not include that feature, instead they add the adaptive braking here in the US, in the EU adaptive braking is illegal.

Don't know about adaptive braking... :D I guess you could describe autobahn braking as on/off... But adaptive braking lights are not illegal. At least not in all EU countries.

- p