PDA

View Full Version : 2007 550i - Initial thoughts - First 250 miles

Pjuran
03-04-2007, 08:48 AM
250 Miles on my new 550i w/Sports Package. Took delivery last week This is my first BMW.

Initial thoughts:

Smooth consistent Power form the V8. Really nice. Six cylinders, turbo or not, can***8217;t touch this baby.

Very thirsty engine ***8211; hopefully after break in period fuel consumption will level out.

Over all construction. Feels heavy and solid. Built very well.

Suspension is not as harsh as I was expecting. In fact it is smoother than my A4.

The car has the dreaded Dunlop***8217;s run flats ***8211; So far so good. On black top paved roads its smooth as butter. On concrete roads a little nosier and I can feel a little vibration through the pedals. But I can deal with it.

Sport seats ***8211; Very comfortable. Best I***8217;ve ever come across.

I-Pod integration - flawless ***8211; No complaints in general. Could be a bit faster but that is just nit picking.

IDrive ***8211; Coupled with the voice commands it is easy to use and understand.

I do not understand what all the complaints are about. If you can***8217;t figure out how to use this thing and master it in 2 hrs you are probably not too bright and BMW probably doesn***8217;t want you as a customer. Come on people. A monkey can use it.

Navigation ***8211; again easy to use and set up. No issues

Bluetooth phone integration ***8211; Flawless. No issues

Center console could be better

Drink holders suck

ish
03-04-2007, 08:58 AM
You big friggen tease..........where r the PICS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cry:

mdsbuc
03-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the writeup on your new bimmer. It sounds like a real beauty. But, as they say, this post desperately needs some pics! :thumbup:

Alex550
03-04-2007, 11:01 AM
I hope you enjoy your new toy. After about 4 months, I still love mine.

shosan521
03-04-2007, 04:02 PM
250 Miles on my new 550i w/Sports Package. Took delivery last week This is my first BMW.

Initial thoughts:

Smooth consistent Power form the V8. Really nice. Six cylinders, turbo or not, can't touch this baby.

Very thirsty engine hopefully after break in period fuel consumption will level out.

Over all construction. Feels heavy and solid. Built very well.

Suspension is not as harsh as I was expecting. In fact it is smoother than my A4.

The car has the dreaded Dunlop's run flats So far so good. On black top paved roads its smooth as butter. On concrete roads a little nosier and I can feel a little vibration through the pedals. But I can deal with it.

Sport seats Very comfortable. Best I've ever come across.

I-Pod integration - flawless No complaints in general. Could be a bit faster but that is just nit picking.

IDrive Coupled with the voice commands it is easy to use and understand.

I do not understand what all the complaints are about. If you can't figure out how to use this thing and master it in 2 hrs you are probably not too bright and BMW probably doesn't want you as a customer. Come on people. A monkey can use it.

Navigation again easy to use and set up. No issues

Bluetooth phone integration Flawless. No issues

Center console could be better

Drink holders suck

I agree with the OP on two points in particular...fuel consumption and iDrive. Milage isn't too bad for a V8. I'm getting on average about 16.5 after my first 800mi. Of course, doing 125 on the Autobahn might have something to do with that crappy number. Oh BTW, did I mention, it will do this under 4k RPM's?! :)

As to the iDrive...easy as they come. I really really really don't see what all the fuss is about. After about 30min of use, I got the basics down. Now 600mi later of traveling through Europe...I know exactly what I'm doing.

Also wanted to add my 2 cents about the HUD. If you plan on doing urban driving and using Nav...get the HUD! It makes Nav so much user friendly and safter. I don' t have to look down at the map on the iDrive screen to figure out where I need to turn. Of course the lady announces it too, but she annoying and there is a little picture representation of the intersection/exit on the HUD which makes finding your way around that much eaiser.

Matt

SSbear44
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Reading this post was very difficult as i am awaiting delivery of my 550i, it is sitting somewhere on the docks of NJ, I ready to go get it myself but for the work to be done. I hope to have delivery end of this week. Sound like you are enjoying your car, congrats!!

Chris D
03-07-2007, 04:08 PM
According to my car's tracking, I am averaging 21 mpg. I have about 3,000 miles on my car and absolutely love it.

I agree with your comment about i-drive. The only thing I can assume is that some people simply aren't spending the time to familiarize themselves with the system, because an ape could use it after some training.

SSJay
03-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Have had an '06 550i for a few weeks. Completely agree that the iDrive is easy to figure out and use. Had everything down in under an hour. That's not the point though. The point is it's not nearly as efficient as "old" systems.

Say you want to control foot/head A/C distribution... instead of quicly turning a knob, you now have to go through a series of slides and turns to do this :thumbdwn: . Plus, most menu changes take about half a second.

The same goes for basic radio and navigation operations. Things that would usually be a single click or knob on an "old system" is now a series of slides, turns, and clicks, most of which require looking at the screen unless you have the entire process memorized.

Again, it's not hard to use, it just takes a little longer to do normal things. I'd be comlpetely happy with the system if it did away with all on dash controls and rendered a beautiful, very clean looking dash. Then it would have a point/purpose. But it doesn't. You still have a fairly standard looking instrument cluster. Still have knobs for temperature and fan speed, various buttons, etc.. The iDrive is simply there to be technologically advanced. It doesn't make anything easier, faster, or safer (imho). Also, while it's easy for me to learn and use, it's not so easy for my parents, and I can't imagine it would be so easy for anyone who's never really used computers. It's not like the 5 series is targeted exclusively to the younger generation, and the 7 definately isn't.

That said, how can you not love the 550 :thumbup: ? It's amazing. Very accurate review by Pjuran.