PDA

View Full Version : Key-Fob failure

sportzfan76
03-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I haven't seen this type of problem posted here....if this has been previously posted and I missed it I apologize.

This weekend I was unable to lock/unlock the car with the key fob remote and determined
the Key-Fob (non-comfort access) for my 2007 E60 has failed. (I have a second one available for a backup, but it is a strange occurance). As you know all the memory settings are stored in the fob so I now have lost all the audio system settings, station presets for FM & SAT as well as seat/steering wheel postion(s), airvent settings, door locks etc etc. :mad:

At first I thought it was just a dead powercell in the fob, but he owner's manuel indicates that the key-fob is re-charged while it is in the ignition and the engine is running.

Could I still need just a new battery for the fob... or possibly a whole new fob?? 10 months seems pretty quick for the battery to fail and not accept a charge.

Anyway, this obviously is not a major problem or a world crisis...but it is truely is a pain-in-the-butt trying to remember all the presets and then re-entering all the personalized settings that existed :dunno:

Me530
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
The battery could be faulty.....and hence, a replacement battery could be the answer. Good luck!

stevepow
03-04-2007, 06:43 PM
If you have Comfort Access, there's a replaceable battery - if no CA, then it charges while in the ignition.

sportzfan76
03-04-2007, 09:01 PM
Stevepow wrote:

if no CA, then it charges while in the ignition.

Exactly ! ! ! - and yet my fob will not recharge and its memory is gone. :tsk:

kevinp
03-05-2007, 04:03 AM
Sounds like its time to bring it into Herb Chambers for a new fob.

merklebob
03-05-2007, 06:53 AM
or the coding got messed up. look in the manual for reprograming the fob. ive had to do it several time on non bmws.

sportzfan76
03-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Kevinp said:

Sounds like its time to bring it into Herb Chambers for a new fob.

True, True - Key Fob cannot br reinitialized and does need to be replaced.

(Not at a herb chambers dlr , though LOL)