PDA

View Full Version : NavTECH

CD-55
01-16-2003, 06:19 AM
In October I notified NavTech of two new through roads in my area.

A few days ago (January) I heard back from them. They told me that they have now added these roads to their database, and the next version of the data disk will include them.

So I wrote them again:

“Barbara, Thank you for investigating the missing sections of road I noticed! I will let you know if I find anything else missing from my map data disk. In late December I received the new nationwide DVD for my BMW 3-series. I assume this must be the most current version available for my vehicle. My new DVD includes the previously missing section of VA-7100, but is still missing that small portion of VA-828. How will I know which future version of your product will include all of VA-828? When that version is available, would it be possible to complementary of NavTech? In return I will be happy to continue to notify you of similar map updates as I find them. PS: I am very impressed that this DVD now includes the back roads of central VA near Orange County! My CD just had the highways in this area. Sincerely yours”

NAVTECH: “The geometry of VA-828/Wiehle Ave and VA-7100 have both been updated fairly recently. When the updated geometry of the database is available depends on the product plans of your navigation system manufacturer. Regards, Barbara L Clark, Database Update Request Department”

Navtech: “When a new version of your BMW DVD is released, we will notify you via a mailed postcard. But you will have to purchase it at the full price. Navigation Technologies Customer Contact Center”

So the lesson is: Don’t expect a discount or a free update when you help NavTech update their data.

jw
01-16-2003, 06:48 AM
Interestingly enough, just last week I was cursing my 2002 CD that didn't include the new portion of FF Co. Pkwy. I've found many other errors and have emailed them. Never once got a reply.

Never expect free products from NavTech. Has someone tested whether you can play copied DVDs in the new units?

CD-55
01-16-2003, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by jw
Interestingly enough, just last week I was cursing my 2002 CD that didn't include the new portion of FF Co. Pkwy. I've found many other errors and have emailed them. Never once got a reply.

Never expect free products from NavTech. Has someone tested whether you can play copied DVDs in the new units?

I did not expect a FREE DVD, but I figured… why not ask, maybe they will go for it.

Stamping DVD’s cost them only pennies. And the fact is I am not going to buy an update for a few years, just for a missing road or two. So it is not like they are losing my revenue, because I am not going to buy their update.

I will write back and tell them I am not going to pay to update it any time soon. Maybe when they understand that they are not losing my revenue, they will understand.

I will even offer to return to them my 2 disc, this way I will not steal revenue from them by selling my disc (which are fairly current) on Ebay.

rbright
01-16-2003, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by CD-55
I did not expect a FREE DVD, but I figured… why not ask, maybe they will go for it.

Stamping DVD’s cost them only pennies. And the fact is I am not going to buy an update for a few years, just for a missing road or two. So it is not like they are losing my revenue, because I am not going to buy their update.

I will write back and tell them I am not going to pay to update it any time soon. Maybe when they understand that they are not losing my revenue, they will understand.

I will even offer to return to them my 2 disc, this way I will not steal revenue from them by selling my disc (which are fairly current) on Ebay.

YOu should get one free update next year. The disks that we just received (DVD) are considered the first disk that we have received (the one we paid for with the car). We will get a free update next year, then we must purchase from there out.