PDA

View Full Version : Extended Warranty?

x3man
03-04-2007, 05:59 PM
How much is the extended warranty? How long does it last? What does it cover? Did anyone here get one? What do you think??? Also, when do you have to get it by?

tjgolden
03-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Try these sites: http://www.twinkidneygrill.com/page/page/4264307.htm and
http://www.twinkidneygrill.com/Repair.html This is the site of an Atlanta BMW dealer

I was quoted $4700.00 from a San Diego dealer for extended warranty ($2800) and extended maintenance ($1900)

UncleJ
03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
tj, thanks for the links. Looks like a tidy saving, assuming of course it is actually a BMW warranty and applicable in CA. I have never seen the "invoice" cost to dealers of the two plans. Does anyone know how much it actually costs the dealer? Having that figure would be helpful in negotiating a better price as we all know that is a serous profit center for them. I am coming up on 11 months with my '06 so I expect to see a pitch any day now to sign up before it is "too late".

kjboyd
03-05-2007, 02:40 PM
you can buy it anytime up until the original warranty/service expires.

x3man
03-05-2007, 08:13 PM
The extended warranty is an "additional" 2 year / 50,000 mile plan. i.e. That translates to 6 years / 100,000 miles. I would like to know exactly what is covered and what is not. For example, is the entire repair cost covered for all repairs? I wonder if it's worth it or not and if so, at what price?

kjboyd
03-05-2007, 08:49 PM
if you use the links provided, it goes over all the details.

SFX3
03-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Have you looked at Warranty Direct? They have better coverage (even wear and tear items) than most warranties and are accepted everywhere, not just at BMW just in case you are in a jam....and probably cheaper....and offer 7yr/100k option. *note* They are currently not selling coverage in CA because they are rewriting their policy for CA customers (this according to their customer service rep) but will be offering it once again in a couple of weeks.

erikbmw1
03-08-2007, 10:42 AM
thanks for the links

x3man
03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Have you looked at Warranty Direct? They have better coverage (even wear and tear items) than most warranties and are accepted everywhere, not just at BMW just in case you are in a jam....and probably cheaper....and offer 7yr/100k option. *note* They are currently not selling coverage in CA because they are rewriting their policy for CA customers (this according to their customer service rep) but will be offering it once again in a couple of weeks.

Yes, thanks.

Their BEST (most expensive plan) is $3,300 for 4 years and 100,000 miles from date of purchase of extended contract:

What's covered

Virtually every mechanical, electrical and computer related part of your vehicle is covered. Just like your factory warranty, it lists only a limited number of items not covered.

Type of coverage

Mechanical breakdowns
Wear-and-tear failures
Unlimited number of claims

What else is included?
FREE Deluxe 24x7 Roadside Assistance Membership

$100 towing benefit
Lost Key/Lockout Service
Mechanical First Aid
Emergency Tire Service
Battery Boost and more…
Car rental for up to 8 days per occurrence
Travel interruption benefits
60 day money back guarantee!

What cars are eligible?

Vehicles still covered under the original full factory warranty or those up to 4 model years old with less than 50,000 miles.

Where can I go for repairs?

You may use ANY repair facility of your choice. Choose your dealer, trusted mechanic or national chain, it's up to you.

How are claims paid?

Claims are paid directly to the repair facility with our corporate credit card. There are no paperwork, billing hassles or waiting to be reimbursed.

AND... Even though they say "wear and tear", look at the NON-COVERED items:

A. THE FOLLOWING PARTS: BATTERY; SHOCK ABSORBERS; MANUAL TRANSMISSION CLUTCH ASSEMBLY; FRICTION CLUTCH DISC AND PRESSURE PLATE; THROW OUT BEARING; MANUAL AND HYDRAULIC LINKAGES; GPS NAVIGATION SYSTEMS; SAFETY RESTRAINT SYSTEMS (INCLUDING AIR BAGS); GLASS; LENSES; SEALED BEAMS; LIGHT BULBS; BRAKE ROTORS & DRUMS; TV/VIDEO/ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEMS; WEATHER STRIPS; TRIM; MOLDINGS; BRIGHT METAL; CHROME; UPHOLSTERY AND CARPET; PAINT; OUTSIDE ORNAMENTATION; BUMPERS; BODY SHEET METAL AND PANELS; TIRES; WHEELS/RIMS; PHONE SYSTEMS; EXHAUST & EMISSIONS SYSTEMS.

UncleJ
03-09-2007, 08:32 AM
Well, that certainly does not cover about everything except the cooling system and drive train! Not much of a deal IMHO.

SFX3
03-10-2007, 02:18 PM
Is Warranty Direct more expensive? Its hard to tell because of the difference in coverage years (2yrs to 3 yrs), although Im sure to most owners the 100k miles would be more relevant. Those wear and tear exclusions listed above are a shorter list than the BMW exclusions. The BMW extended warranty is not like your original warranty but rather its the same as the CPO warranty. I had a CPO e46 and a lot of things were not covered. This is getting to be a tougher choice than expected.

x3man
03-11-2007, 07:48 PM
How does the BMW extended warranty differ from the original warranty?

petren
03-12-2007, 08:14 AM
Well, I am only 3k km away from kicking into the extended warranty and after I called BMW to tell me what's covered and what's not I got an answer that really freaked me out: We'll tell you after you come in and look at it. They said major parts are covered but even those have some clause on them and there is also a deductible. So I just hope nothing will break in the extended warranty time. Next time I won't get it. They said everything is detailde in a book that was supposed to come with the car when I got it, (which I didn't get) and for which they would charge me to buy...

petren
03-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Exclusions from Coverage under this PROGRAM

Your PROGRAM provides you with certain MAINTENANCE coverage for your new (or qualified pre-owned) BMW Vehicle. There are components or parts on any vehicle that are subject to gradual deterioration or normal wear and tear as the result of driving habits, conditions or use of the vehicle. Therefore, coverage for items such as (but not limited to) piston rings, valves and valve guides, suspension bushings, ball joints, and tire rod ends, drive shaft flex discs (guibo joint) and other parts and/or components are not covered by the BMW Maintenance Program. Also excluded from coverage are items such as (but not limited to): engine, transmission, body adjustments: all batteries (except remote transmitter batteries replaced as part of a recommended service); suspension dampers (shock absorber/strut elements); all hoses; exhaust systems (including catalytic converters); paint; glass; headlamps; bulbs; mirrors; lenses; body and chassis; body seals and gaskets; moldings/trim (including chrome) and fasteners; convertible top (covering, all components including electronics); air, water, oil or fluid leaks; wind or body noises; tires and wheels; tire balance and rotation; wheel alignment; gasoline and gasoline additive, windshield washer additive (except when used in conjunction with scheduled maintenance), wear and tear of soft trim items, such as: interior and exterior trim, seats, upholstery, headliner, carpeting, floor and trunk mats, door panels; Items reimbursable under your Original New Vehicle Limited Warranty (if applicable); damage due to poor fuel quality, abuse, misuse, neglect, alteration, fire, accident, flood, or other water damage, explosion, improper repair or negligence, altered or unreadable Vehicle Identification Number or odometer irregularities, maintenance or repairs after the vehicle is deemed a total loss, maintenance or repairs performed by other than an Authorized BMW center within the United States or Puerto Rico, vehicles used in competitive events, oil changes or other maintenance performed outside the recommended maintenance intervals as indicated by the service interval indicator"

This is from the link above. I wonder what's left that is covered...

x3man
03-12-2007, 08:48 PM
Well, it didn't mention brakes but excluding engine, transmission, suspension, etc... is a joke.

Anyone from BMW NA want to comment on why anyone would buy this extended warranty for a X3?

petren
03-13-2007, 08:59 AM
I 'd really like to hear what BMW NA has to say about this. The BMW Durham dealer told me that 80***37; is covered but the above summary is really conflicting with that statement. One thing is sure, they are saying they will diagnoze the car then they will decide whether it is warranty or not. In the mean time we pay the $50 deductible plus the diagnosing and we'ere left at the dealership mercy as to what the final cost will be.

To me this is a costly (for suctomers) joke.

SFX3
03-13-2007, 03:58 PM
$50 deductible? There's a deductible on claims on the extended warranty?

petren
03-14-2007, 07:08 AM
yes, according to my dealer it is.

teamfalcon
03-21-2007, 01:09 PM
I googled Fidelity Warranty Services and now I'm a little concerned.

I NEED A LEGIT EXTENDED WARRANTY!!!!!

2003 325I original owner 48000 miles.

SFX3
03-22-2007, 03:04 AM
They are all "legit"....although that $50 BMW deductible feels dubious. Just keep your expectations in check when servicing wear and tear items and you'll be fine. Keep us informed of your decisions.

teamfalcon
03-22-2007, 07:12 AM
They are ALL legit??? (Scratching head).

Um.......don't know about that.

crowman
04-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Did anyone have any more on this? I seriously need to consider warranty for my 2004 x3.

petren
04-05-2007, 11:40 AM
As of today I am into the exended warranty program. The good news is that if you read the agreement from BMW, it says most of the major components are covered. The bad news is that BMW decides what is a "major component" and also charges a 50 dollar deductible for any work order regardless of whether the reapair is covered or not under EW.

For example just before my car warranty expired I did a final review and performed the followoing repairs then I asked out of curioisty what would have been covered under extended warranty if I were to bring it after the 80k km basic warranty expire:

- TSB about the transmission stuck in 3rd gear - (would not have been covered under EW)
- TSB about the window guide noise( not covered under EW)
- TSB about the front suspension sway bar bushings and cle over bumps( two service guys were arguing about coverage: one said yes the other no in front of me. (Who do you think is gonna win?)
- hood cover shrunk like a cotton shirt until it didn't fit anymore( replace not covered under EW)
- repair front suspension rubber boot (not covered under EW).

I agree that is not something you will give you a clear idea but I'd say unless you expect something major like an engine failure, alternator failure or any other big stuff to fail don't get the extended warranty.

kjboyd
04-05-2007, 11:43 AM
what is wrong with the front bushings?!

petren
04-05-2007, 11:54 AM
....earlier X3's 2004-2006 had some clonking noise coming from the front suspension when going over bumps or simply driving on uneven road. there is a TSB for that(TSB# 31 02 04.). I had it done twice, once at 30k km and now at 80km. The dealer told me they had some lower quality bushings and links and first time they simply replaced them with what they had in stock. They said they now replaced them with proper ones.

bimbokoto
11-17-2008, 11:47 PM
I'm not sure if the 4-year factory warranty still applies. BMW.com website says the warranty for the entire car, including original BMW parts is two years. I imported my X3 2.0d 2005 model directly from BMW AG. After the standard pre-delivery instpection, a accepted delivery of my unit in late Nov. 05. So counting from the PDI, the covered period should be until late Nov. 07. Unfortunately, I didnt have problems with my X3 until after the "warranty period"

The battery that first came with the unit got drained and was replaced sometime in Feb 2008. They did the usual check before they installed the new batter to see if there are other consumers that drained the battery. There turned out to be none. But only a week ago, the new battery drained out again. They did the usual test for unwanted consumers that may have caused the battery to drain so fast and found nothing. But when they were about to replace the battery, my local dealer called and said they discovered that the alternator wasnt charging the battery correctly and needs to be replaced. What?!! So soon?

I dont know anything abt the technical stuff, but isnt it too soon for an original BMW part to just conk out? 2nd hand Japanese cars and even my basic Ford sedan lasted way longer than that. Of course the last minute change in my dealer's diagnosis makes me suspect if they're giving me the right one, but that's another story. I just cant help but think that the 2yr original warranty may not really be enough. I know I'm not being very objective here, as I should have felt that as early as when I accepted delivery and not only now when something's wrong already. But what does that make of BMW's supposed reputation of better performance and reliability compared to the "ordinary" cars? Isn't that one of the reasons why we opted for a BMW, and in that sense, shouldnt that be considered as some kind of an "implied warranty"? :tsk:

TheCritic
11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Have no earthly idea how the warranty works in the Philippines, but it is unfortunately common for BMWs to drain their batteries flat when left to sit for a week or three. There are battery maintainers available from BMW and others (a solar model may work if you park outside).

UncleJ
11-18-2008, 08:09 AM
bim, I too have no idea how the warranty works in the P.I. but it seems as if you might have a case for a "goodwill repair" from your authorized BMW dealer. Even though the car operates in a very difficult environment with high humidity, high heat, monsoon rains, and periodic flooding the alternator should probably not have failed this soon. I am assuming you are in Manila where there would be a dealer and some independent shops that work on high end european cars. If that is the case perhaps you might want to get a seond opinion from an independent shop, but be prepared to pay for their time. It could also be something besides the alternator itself. Good luck!

X3-terrestrial
11-18-2008, 09:27 AM
But what does that make of BMW's supposed reputation of better performance and reliability compared to the "ordinary" cars? Isn't that one of the reasons why we opted for a BMW, and in that sense, shouldn't that be considered as some kind of an "implied warranty"? :tsk:

....hmmmm not always, in my experience BMW parts are not as durable as others.-

-The alternator in our 2003 e46 died at 60k miles, even though it warned me. The battery light started to come on yellow, and my voltmeter built in my radar detector read 12.5 volts, so I had time to drive it to the indy shop and get an aftermarket alternator with life-time warranty for $150.
-Control arm bushings failed also close to 60k miles.
-Thermostat just failed last week at 65k miles.

In the x3 they had to replace the whole rear differential at 43K miles due to a "clunk"when shifting. (a $2000 repair) thanks for the 4 years warranty.

I have had 7 VW's in the past and all made it to 100,000 miles with any issue. My previous 2001 vr6 Jetta which I sold when I got the X3, made it to 130,000 miles with just the starter failing at 120k. Installed it myself and paid $130.00 for an aftermarket life-time warranty one.

So, to answer your question, BMW parts are not according to the whole BMW status. They just don't last long. What I know is that no other car has given me the ecstasy I feel each and every time I drive a bimmer.

A good question for your dealer would be why the charging system didn't detect a deep in the volts, and why the batt light didn't come on??

bimbokoto
11-19-2008, 08:28 AM
Have no earthly idea how the warranty works in the Philippines, but it is unfortunately common for BMWs to drain their batteries flat when left to sit for a week or three. There are battery maintainers available from BMW and others (a solar model may work if you park outside).

:) not so differently from how it works in california ... as far as i know, the warranty on bmws is global; terms should be uniform although enforced locally by the local, authorized dealers ....

bimbokoto
11-19-2008, 08:32 AM
....hmmmm not always, in my experience BMW parts are not as durable as others.-

A good question for your dealer would be why the charging system didn't detect a deep in the volts, and why the batt light didn't come on??

good point x3-t ... will ask my dealer that when they call to update me one of these days .. incidentally, bmw phils just gave me a "goodwill warranty" ... they wont charge me for the cost of the replacement alternator; just the labor ... i just hope the cost of labor is not as much as the cost of a new alternator ... :thumbup:

thanks to all for your thoughts ..

ciao ciao :thumbup::thumbup:

bimbokoto
11-19-2008, 08:35 AM
bim, I too have no idea how the warranty works in the P.I. but it seems as if you might have a case for a "goodwill repair" from your authorized BMW dealer. Even though the car operates in a very difficult environment with high humidity, high heat, monsoon rains, and periodic flooding the alternator should probably not have failed this soon. I am assuming you are in Manila where there would be a dealer and some independent shops that work on high end european cars. If that is the case perhaps you might want to get a seond opinion from an independent shop, but be prepared to pay for their time. It could also be something besides the alternator itself. Good luck!

Thanks UncleJ ... was preparing to do that [2nd opinion] if BMW Phils disapproved my dealer's request for a "goodwill warranty" .. but it did approve .. so i guess i was lucky .. thanks mucho ...:bigpimp:

X3-terrestrial
11-19-2008, 09:45 AM
... as far as i know, the warranty on bmws is global; terms should be uniform although enforced locally by the local, authorized dealers ....
In my native country, in Latin America (not Mexico) the warranty/maint. offered for new bimmers is 3 years/50,000 kms only.

... i just hope the cost of labor is not as much as the cost of a new alternator

If dealer hourly rate is close to what it is here, ($104.00/hr) be prepared to pay at least 3 hrs labor (plus shop supplies and taxes)

WHITEX
11-19-2008, 01:55 PM
I would buy factory warranty only. After market warranty companies come & go. If they close up...you're warranty is worthless. And watch for scams..