PDA

View Full Version : Pitting Wheels

kjboyd
03-04-2007, 10:06 PM
for those of you who have had pitting on your wheels.... have you been able to have them replaced under warranty?

CillaJ
06-20-2007, 02:03 PM
bump

kjboyd
06-20-2007, 02:49 PM
my dealer repainted mine for me.

MerckxMad
06-21-2007, 11:01 AM
At my annual service visit, I pointed out the pitting on all four rims. The tech's response was to use a better cleaner and wax. My X3 is leased, so in two years, they're getting a car back with four pitted rims.

mateo
06-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Mine are hard as hell to clean. I just wish I knew what to clean them with.

-Mateo

calgaryx3
06-22-2007, 09:42 AM
Mine are hard as hell to clean. I just wish I knew what to clean them with.

-Mateo

I've had an X3 since '05 (my first BMW) and had the same sentiments as you until two weeks ago when we picked up our new '07 E90 335I. At the time, the dealer threw in some BMW brand car care supplies, including, surprise surprise, a BMW wheel cleaner in a spray bottle. Since then, I've used this product on both the X3 and the 335I with amazing results.

We're all too familiar with excess brake dust so characteristic of newer beemers. As such, everytime I wash the car(s) now, I spray the wheels down with this lovely, citrusy cleaner. I spray it on cool dry wheels, as I go about washing the rest of the car. By the time I get to the wheels, the cleaner has broken down the dust so much, that a pressurized rinse with a hose, and a quick wipe down with a sudsy mitt is all that is needed to get the wheels sparkling clean. I wish I had tried this stuff two years ago. I would have saved some pitting, not to mention plenty of dirty wash mitts! At $11.50 CDN a bottle, I don't think that you can go wrong.

Good luck!
Asif

mateo
06-23-2007, 07:25 PM
I've had an X3 since '05 (my first BMW) and had the same sentiments as you until two weeks ago when we picked up our new '07 E90 335I. At the time, the dealer threw in some BMW brand car care supplies, including, surprise surprise, a BMW wheel cleaner in a spray bottle. Since then, I've used this product on both the X3 and the 335I with amazing results.

We're all too familiar with excess brake dust so characteristic of newer beemers. As such, everytime I wash the car(s) now, I spray the wheels down with this lovely, citrusy cleaner. I spray it on cool dry wheels, as I go about washing the rest of the car. By the time I get to the wheels, the cleaner has broken down the dust so much, that a pressurized rinse with a hose, and a quick wipe down with a sudsy mitt is all that is needed to get the wheels sparkling clean. I wish I had tried this stuff two years ago. I would have saved some pitting, not to mention plenty of dirty wash mitts! At $11.50 CDN a bottle, I don't think that you can go wrong.

Good luck!
AsifNice. Thanks. Is it pittting, or just road tar? Mine seams to be road tar, not pitting. All though it looks like pitting w/out a doubt, its not.

-Mateo

kjboyd
06-23-2007, 08:45 PM
it's actually the clear coat finish being eaten, not the rim itself frm what i was told

calgaryx3
06-23-2007, 10:01 PM
Nice. Thanks. Is it pittting, or just road tar? Mine seams to be road tar, not pitting. All though it looks like pitting w/out a doubt, its not.

-Mateo

Yes, it's pitting from the brake dust causing minor imperfection, and a rough finish of the clear coat.

Try the BMW wheel cleaner, and providing you keep the wheels reasonably clean on a regular basis, you won't have (as many) problems.

Good luck
Asif

Evlengr
06-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Here's a quick one. Is it dangerous to use a pressure washer? I had my SAV getting some road dings out and when they returned it, the wheels looked brand new (was pressure washed).

Are there other brand name product's other than BMW's that work just as well? And using good judgement is it safe to use a pressure washer?

calgaryx3
06-25-2007, 12:54 PM
Here's a quick one. Is it dangerous to use a pressure washer?

And using good judgement is it safe to use a pressure washer?

Here's a quick answer:

YES

and

YES *grin*

I use a pressure washer quite often, especially during the winter months to remove some of the heavier road grime from the wheels and wheel well areas. No problems yet to report of, and of course, as you say, common sense prevails anytime when using high pressure.

A

UUNetBill
06-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Pressure wash:

GOOD for wheels.

BAD for PDC sensors. Use caution!!

That said, I pressure wash EVERYTHING. Cars, motorcycle, quad, patio furniture, house, driveway, garage floor. . .but I draw the line at the dogs and kids (although they could use it sometimes!) :)

Let common sense be your guide.

Evlengr
06-26-2007, 07:54 AM
Ahh Bill I am toying with moving out to Colorado (actually Colorado Springs area). Are the dealers and service good there. And any special considerations for your X3 in that environment (aka higher altitude)?

UUNetBill
06-26-2007, 09:56 PM
Ahh Bill I am toying with moving out to Colorado (actually Colorado Springs area). Are the dealers and service good there. And any special considerations for your X3 in that environment (aka higher altitude)?

Well, the Colorado Springs area is where I've lived since '93, came out here with the USAF and retired from same in 2000. The local dealer in the Springs had fantastic service back in the early to mid 90's when I brought my E36 back from Germany. :bigpimp: Only have 1100 miles on our X3 so far, haven't had to check with the dealer so far. We actually got ours in Denver (about 3-4 BMW dealers in the metro area that I know of) and we were VERY happy with the dealer we purchased from. Haven't had any issues with the altitude at all; most modern vehicles adapt well enough without any changes. There will be a performance drop as opposed to vehicles closer to sea level, since there ain't all that much air up here to burn. :D I'd still say the X is more than adequate out here. If you want to discuss the pros/cons of a move to CO, let me know. I'm originally from the east myself, so I can hopefully provide some insight for you. I'm open to discuss offline if you want.

Bill