PDA

View Full Version : Cai?

in_d_haus
01-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Ok, since I've had my upgrade of an exhaust made for me I'm thinking fo a CAI. I'm looking at 3 of them: ECIS, AA, and Conforti.

The Conforti and AA look the cleanest, the ECIS looks like it was pieced together at a Home Depot but it is the least expensive and I'm sure they all work the same.

My only concern is if I go budget will the ECIS interfere with the ZKWs? The stick back farther than stock lights and that mondo air filter is darn near rubbing on the stock lights.

The AA and Conforti units (which look suspiciously similar except for the filter) use a smaller filter giving more room.

POLL TIME! do I spend a few extra bucks?

Plaz
01-16-2003, 10:57 AM
I like the overall sound of the Conforti, and I like the ITG filter better from an academic point of view... but the shreiking/whistling noise that goes along with it on an M54 (or at least *my* M54) is too much for me. I'm reverting to the stock airbox. :dunno:

bluer1
01-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Sounds like 'haus just found a used Conforti for sale.
:thumbup:

in_d_haus
01-16-2003, 11:11 AM
Wrong model unfortunately..I've got an E36, Plaz has the E46.

bluer1
01-16-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
Wrong model unfortunately..I've got an E36, Plaz has the E46.

:cry:
My bad, I didn't even look at the info and have had sigs turned
off forever.

in_d_haus
01-16-2003, 11:21 AM
So I called HMS motorsport (seller of ECIS) and asked about the interferance. ECISs line was busy. They said when it first came out it had a 9" filter and it did interfere with the projector headlights. Now they have an 8" filter and it fits fine.

Hm....

JST
01-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by in_d_haus
So I called HMS motorsport (seller of ECIS) and asked about the interferance. ECISs line was busy. They said when it first came out it had a 9" filter and it did interfere with the projector headlights. Now they have an 8" filter and it fits fine.

Hm....

As you say, they all basically work the same. The ECIS unit that I had on my 323 was relatively well-built, and it didn't really look that bad. Since it's not something I looked at everyday, getting the nicest looking wasn't that big a priority.

I've decided against doing the CAI on the current car. The E46 really needed the extra engine sound, but the M3 is fine stock (esp. with the baffle removed). I remain skeptical of the filtration properties of the K&N. Finally, as Plaz said, the whistle/shriek that is common to all CAIs got on my nerves. You just never quite get used to it.

nate
01-16-2003, 11:39 AM
Of those, the Conforti...

Probably nice with the software too.

I also like the Dinan, because of the filter re-location.

Plaz
01-16-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by JST
The E46 really needed the extra engine sound

Agreed. I'm wondering how much I'll miss that, and if a UUC TSE exhaust system would take care of that for me. :dunno:

elfhearse
01-16-2003, 12:17 PM
I just got an ECIS for M coupe but stuck it in my 2.8 Coupe because it's the winter driver.
ECIS doesn't use a K&N but a generic "version" 5"(?) cone, probably not much difference between them. ($)
The sound takes some getting used to, sort of a cross between turbo spool up/whale blow-hole sound when you get on it.

ezsce46
01-16-2003, 12:24 PM
GruppM, think w/ a gb is around $450. Great reviews from the Fanatics.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=43580&highlight=GruppM

Plaz
01-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by ezsce46
GruppM, think w/ a gb is around $450. Great reviews from the Fanatics.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?threadid=43580&highlight=GruppM

For E36? Not sure it exists.

ezsce46
01-16-2003, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Plaz
For E36? Not sure it exists.

my bad. :banghead:

brave1heart
01-16-2003, 08:36 PM
The whistle/shriek at partial throttle was driving me nuts the first couple of weeks. Then I got used to it and I don't notice it any more. What I do notice, however, is the awesome growl that you get when you floor it and also the improvement in acceleration, esp. in the low RPMs where the 325's engine needs it the most. I am really happy with the ECIS CAI!

operknockity
01-16-2003, 09:10 PM
Does BenFer make a CAI that fits an E36? Killer Junior just recently posted a bunch of info about them as well as a dyno run with their product. There was also a group buy going on over on E46Fanatics.

mtnbound
01-18-2003, 11:40 AM
Yup, Benfer has an E36 Dyno here:

http://www.benferperformance.com/ebay/images/benferdyno.jpg

Bill325Ci
01-20-2003, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by brave1heart
The whistle/shriek at partial throttle was driving me nuts the first couple of weeks. Then I got used to it and I don't notice it any more. What I do notice, however, is the awesome growl that you get when you floor it and also the improvement in acceleration, esp. in the low RPMs where the 325's engine needs it the most. I am really happy with the ECIS CAI!

The group by was actually on Bimmervibe.com. Unfortunately, it has ended.