PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate in CA??

sf550
03-05-2007, 03:34 PM
Leased new 550 without front plates. Instructed to "put them on" ;) what is the real life experience without plates?? Can you get pulled over for driving without? Is it worth the hassle to keep the front looking clean??

vegastrashed
03-05-2007, 03:42 PM
It's mandatory to have the front plates on in CA. After having said that, I do not. I've been fortunate enough not to receive a fix-it ticket. Even if I did I know exactly where to go to get it signed off.

AzNMpower32
03-05-2007, 04:10 PM
My experience with front plate laws is feel free to not have a front plate. I currently do not have a front plate on either the X3 or the Lexus ES (which is registered in VA). Maybe 10***37; of cars around here don't have a front plate, and I notice a lot of them are Bimmer drivers.......so it's not terribly unusual considering it's illegal. I have not gotten caught with it and understand that I run the risk of being caught any time. If you choose to do so, realize that you'd better not be caught speeding or anything else because that's an opportune time for the officer to also notice and cite you for it.

That said, my friend in his Honda Civic Si was ticketed for it before. He says a cop was stopped at a red light in opposing traffic, and turned to follow him once my friend made the left turn. He was eventually ticketed solely for the front plate, not speeding or anything else. Bad luck I guess...... :dunno:

325ic a beer
03-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Without it you will be cited.
It is not worth any hassle.
Just put the fu#@in thing on and your golden.
Police just love a$$holes without them on the front of their cars.
"Do I smell alcohol on your breath? Step out of the car please....."
(Even 1 beer and you will be asked out of the car.)

WAM
03-05-2007, 07:23 PM
I have not been pulled over for not having a plate, but I have received a $100 ticket in San Francisco, whilst parked. When I protested the cost of the ticket, they changed it to a $10 fix-it ticket, which had to be certified by a cop.

jcflys
03-05-2007, 08:59 PM
Just put the dumb thing on. I don't agree with front plate laws, but the potential ticket is a waste of your time. In Maryland anytime you go to the airport the BACON stands in the middle of the fing road and looks at the plates and tag of every car on the road. They will ticket you everytime.

royz86
03-05-2007, 11:46 PM
I installed it even though it looks better to not have one... but hey, thats the law and i dont wanna spend bucks for a ticket

kevinp
03-06-2007, 04:02 AM
Just put the dumb thing on. I don't agree with front plate laws, but the potential ticket is a waste of your time. In Maryland anytime you go to the airport the BACON stands in the middle of the fing road and looks at the plates and tag of every car on the road. They will ticket you everytime.

Yes you are correct sir.:thumbup:

I move aroud the airport terminal very slowly because they are always looking for speed:mad:

stream
03-06-2007, 09:50 AM
I haven't had a front plate on my cars in over 10 years. Have received 2 fix-it tickets in that time. I used double stick tape to attach the plate and have a cop sign off on the ticket, remove the plate, and mail in the $10 fine.

Some argue it's an excuse for a cop to pull you over and start looking for other issues, but I've had the opposite experience. Both times I was pulled over for something else (running red light & speeding) and argued with cop (since I really wasn't running the light or speeding at the time), and both times after a little back and forth, the cop circled my car and came back and said, OK, but you don't have a front plate so I'm going to give you a ticket for that.

AzNMpower32
03-06-2007, 02:44 PM
Good thing we use Dulles Int'l most of the time then :eek: It's wierd though, I never see any actual cops around the departures/arrivals area. It's always just airport security people moving people along so people don't park in the dropoff section for more than 2 seconds.

Now, the airport express lanes on the Dulles Toll Road are a different story. VA cops checking your speed every 2 miles.

bmwindy
03-06-2007, 02:59 PM
I previously owned a 1986 325e and a 1999 Z3 and over the years Volvo 960 and S60. I am now seriously considering a '08 528. How have the BMW's changed since then and how would you compare the current/new 528 with the new Volvo S80? Is it reasonable to expect a new 528 to be a car you could own and operate for 8-10 years, or are they 2-3 year lease cars?

I would like some good advice and in reading the posts herein most of you seem very knowledgable.

Thanks for whatever advice you can provide.:)

QuickBimmer
03-10-2007, 08:33 PM
They normally don't bother you unless your speeding in my experience. My front plate being missing got me out of a speeding ticket. The cop gave me a warning on my speed than gave me a fix it ticket.