PDA

View Full Version : All Terrain tyres

x3drive
03-06-2007, 04:54 AM
Are there any alternatives from the standard fit tyres (18" Sport), which are more suitable as All Terrain tyres, which would be suitable as replacements for off road mud/gravel/sand work. Maybe thinking to go down to a 17"?

ish
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Try search on Tire Rack.com

NateXTR
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
tee-hee, what colour is your X3? Just playing with you, I like the imperial spelling better myself (tyre), just not used to seeing it on this forum.

There are many great tires on the market that work well for both road and light off-road. I have had good luck with the Dueler series from Bridgestone; the HT is a nice SUV tire, the AT is a great light truck tire, and the MT is a real mud tire.

Good luck!

x3drive
03-08-2007, 04:24 AM
Yeah slipped into old school there....

Thanks for the tip. Aware there is a vast range available in common 4WD sizes - anything suitable and recommended to replace 235/50 R18 tire size ?

eg Would a Bridgestone Dueler A/T D693 in a 215/65 R16 be suitable ? This would require a smaller and narrower rim - 16x7 ???

NateXTR
03-08-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah the last number is the rim size.

adsapp
03-12-2007, 09:21 AM
When changing tire sizes, I have found this "Tyre" calculator very helpful. It will show ranges of tire sizes and differences in rolling circumferences from your previous tire size. It will also show acceptable rim sizes for a given tire size.

http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/TyreCalc.asp

I first found this when I had to replace the crappy OEM tires on our XC90. Their were only two tires on the market at the time in the appropriate size - both were wearing out at 20k and had lousy snow traction. The tire calculator led me to a 255/55-18 that was an OEM size on Range Rover for lots of years. There were over 40 tires that met my specs!

I ended up with a Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza for that car with a great mix of road use and snow traction. Having much better wear than original but don't think I will get the claimed 65k out of them.

As previously mentioned, Tire Rack website will provide tons of info and reviews once you settle on a tire size.