PDA

View Full Version : not sure where to ask about "step vs sport"

m123xyz
03-06-2007, 07:08 AM
brochure lists

steptronic trans w/sport and man shift modes

OR

sport auto trans with sport and manual shift modes

anyone know the diff? other than paddle shifters?

SteVTEC
03-06-2007, 08:31 AM
It's the same transmission, but the "sport auto" has the paddles and does throttle blipping on downshifts.

m123xyz
03-06-2007, 09:09 AM
thanks much

stevepow
03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
It's the same transmission, but the "sport auto" has the paddles and does throttle blipping on downshifts.

I think that is not true. The Sport auto has faster shift times, is a new trans and is not available until June or so. Very little detail on that trans is available - what we do know is that we don't know what it is. What I guess is that it is somehow supposed to be a more "friendly" sporting answer to the unpopular low-end SMG like I have in my car since the better SMG like the M cars have is probably too expensive and too complicated for non-M drivers - or some such logic like that.

There are certainly some short comings with the 550/SMG - auto mode is really bad, and in manual mode, the shift times from 1st to 2nd seem really odd - takes a good bit of getting used to, although I rarely think about it anymore - I'm used to it.

The positives about the current 550/SMG is once you do get used to it, it is a lot of fun to drive and gives a similar control that a manual does - unlike some of the paddle shift autos that will still shift when they want to no matter what - the 750 sport I drove was like that. A normal auto with paddles is not a suitable replacement for SMG or manual to me.

I'm looking forward to more info on that new Sport Auto - elusive though for now.

SteVTEC
03-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I think that is not true. The Sport auto has faster shift times, is a new trans and is not available until June or so. Very little detail on that trans is available - what we do know is that we don't know what it is.The 40% improved shift time is in reference to the main automatic tranny available now and on "all variants". The only thing the "Sport Automatic" talks about is the addition of flappy paddles on the steering column, and then the throttle blipping. All of that is control related and not to physical hardware differences in the transmission itself, which is why I think it's all the same basic transmission.

casper
03-06-2007, 12:49 PM
The 40% improved shift time is in reference to the main automatic tranny available now and on "all variants". The only thing the "Sport Automatic" talks about is the addition of flappy paddles on the steering column, and then the throttle blipping. All of that is control related and not to physical hardware differences in the transmission itself, which is why I think it's all the same basic transmission.

The cost for the "Sport Automatic" is below $500 which supports the theory that it only adds paddles and throttle blipping.