PDA

View Full Version : Car back from service....long thread

SFX3
03-06-2007, 11:00 AM
I just got my car back from the dealer after a week. Thought I would put my problems and results for anyone interested that might have/had similar issues.

1. windows/door rattles: mine were really bad...the slightest road imperfection produced very loud rattles, moans, and squeaks from all 4 doors.
--- 4 door seals replaced: 99% of the noise is gone...car makes a flexing sound only when pulling in to a noticeable change in grade (e.g. when pulling into my driveway from the road).

2. power passenger seat (tilt function) malfunction...wouldnt work.
---motor for seat back adjustment not plugged in...guess it unplugged?

3. noise (high pitch ticking sound) from central vent area with fan on medium to high.
---faulty final stage unit, replaced

4. rattle from sunroof area (passenger rear side) when shade is open:
---tightened sunroof glass: rattle is still there but less I suppose...if I keep the shade closed approx 10%, the rattle is drastically reduced.

5. rear window switches dont light up
---switch not designed to light up: I never knew this. Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.

6. SRS light lit up intermittently.
---replaced seat occupany detector: got a new passenger seat covering (leather) for the bottom part out of this reapir.

7. Auto. transmission was kinda acting weird...shifting was kinda strange at times.
---performed retrofit programing for hill as per SI 24 05 06: smooth and appropriate shifts so far.

8. Fabric bunched up on both A-pillars near the dash.
---Fabric replaced...both sides: was told this was a common problem. Part had to be ordered...hence the long down time.

9. Nav OS updated to v.28: Dramatic difference in quality from v. 23 or 24....cant remember. Difference is quite dramatic. Main differences are: perspective mode. map moves not the car symbol itself when driving in "travel direction setting".

10. Various routine maint. also performed.

Conclusion: Very happy with overall outcome. Very happy with BMW of SF service dept. Was given a mini cooper to drive around (national car rental on site....I think it was coincidence that I got a Mini...rental paid by BMW).

stangmatt66
03-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Can you please add your X3's year and configuration to your signature and to this post so we know what kind of X3 you're having problems with? Thanks!

kataraika
03-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Wow. That's a lot of problems, and the noise/rattle problems often can be the worst because they're so annoying and service departments often have trouble fixing them. This is the problem I have with BMW: they claim their engineering is so great that vehicles made by Toyota, Acura, etc. are not even comparable, but then they can't begin to match the other manufacturers in terms of reliability. Yes, it's true that BMW ride dynamics are far superior, but a great engineer is a great engineer, and they should be able to make a car that not only drives great but also is bulletproof in terms of reliablity. I just placed an order for an X3 anyway, but I had to do it with my fingers crossed because of reliability issues such as these. My sympathies for your problems.

AzNMpower32
03-06-2007, 02:11 PM
5. rear window switches dont light up
---switch not designed to light up: I never knew this. Can anyone else confirm? Thanks.

Yah, discussed this before. Design flaw that's finally fixed in the '07s.

The point is, everything got fixed. I take it that you don't go to the service dept. often, hence the long accumulated list of items.

SFX3
03-06-2007, 02:29 PM
It is a lot of problems but Ive had BMWs before and usually the dealership resolves my issues to satisfaction. Ive never had a drive train issue (except on a gf's '96 328is where the tranny failed and was replaced under extended warranty with 76k miles) in any BMW ive ever owned so Im satisfied with the engineering quality. As for the rattles and such, Ive had 2 Acuras in the past and they were also full of them (which wasnt resolved to satisfaction). To be fair, both service departments have been nothing but courteous and professoinal whenever Ive asked for service so Im also satisfied in that respect.

Sorry, if it sounded like I wrote the original thread to complain about my X3. Rather, I just wanted to point out some issues that I had which may be applicable to other X3 owners.

fa590
03-06-2007, 03:08 PM
i've had many of the same problems, but the one that they have not fixed or even diagnosed is the noise comming from my central air vent. it is kinda a high piched chirping, when the fan is on medium. i wonder if it is the same problem. can you give me any more details?

for me it seems to be much worse in the warm weather when there is humidity in the air.

SFX3
03-07-2007, 12:09 AM
i've had many of the same problems, but the one that they have not fixed or even diagnosed is the noise comming from my central air vent. it is kinda a high piched chirping, when the fan is on medium. i wonder if it is the same problem. can you give me any more details?

for me it seems to be much worse in the warm weather when there is humidity in the air.

High pitch chirping sounds about right. Does the pitch change when you accelerate (derpess on the gas pedal)? mine did. No change in pitch if the car was in park and I depressed the gas. As stated they (bmw) said they replaced a "final stage unit"...not sure what part that is but I believe its part of the climate system. I think my service manager told me its a known problem but dont quote me on that.

UncleJ
03-07-2007, 06:38 AM
SF, do you notice any difference in starting out after the transmission reflash? I wondered if it might cause a brief lag experienced in some '07's and most Audi's. Mine is going into the dealer's service soon and I was debating with myself about getting that done as I am very happy with the performance now and don't want to do anything to muck it up!

SilverX3
03-07-2007, 01:14 PM
got a 2005 X3 and 2006 1 M sport

Both rattle like hell especially around the door and M sport panels (side skirts)

In my mind : having driven several E46 models, they are still the best BUILT BMW I have experienced

anything after E46 : quality issues du to BMW cost cutting excercises

Sold my X3 and bought a CX-7 will keep this for a year then will buy a E46 Touring 2005 last series with low KM.... very hard to find one

SFX3
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Uncle J, I definitely notice a difference. Before the trans reflash the car would hunt for gears on long hills and give me abrupt jerky gear changes. Now the shifts are really smooth. However, I may noticed a slight drop in fuel economy but its too early to tell for sure.

UncleJ
03-07-2007, 03:57 PM
SF, thanks for the feedback. I will get it done.

fa590
03-07-2007, 06:10 PM
High pitch chirping sounds about right. Does the pitch change when you accelerate (derpess on the gas pedal)? mine did. No change in pitch if the car was in park and I depressed the gas. As stated they (bmw) said they replaced a "final stage unit"...not sure what part that is but I believe its part of the climate system. I think my service manager told me its a known problem but dont quote me on that.

sound dead on, i'm having the same issue.