BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Why are E70 Interior Colors Limited in US

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  dbtheo 
#1 ·
I'm ordering a 2007 X5 4.8 soon and wondering why BMW does not offer all of the interior colors availible in other countrys. For example, in both Canada and the U.K., they offer Camel and Saddle brown in addition to Beige, Gray and Black. From pictures I've seen of the Camel, I like it much better than the beige, plus it comes with black dash and carpet.

Does anyone know why the US has limited selections? Can we special order a US X5 with these colors? They're made in the same factory in SC.

#2 ·
I'm ordering a 2007 X5 4.8 soon and wondering why BMW does not offer all of the interior colors availible in other countrys. For example, in both Canada and the U.K., they offer Camel and Saddle brown in addition to Beige, Gray and Black. From pictures I've seen of the Camel, I like it much better than the beige, plus it comes with black dash and carpet.

Does anyone know why the US has limited selections? Can we special order a US X5 with these colors? They're made in the same factory in SC.
The only thing I can think of is that the leather is made in another country and isn't imported to the US due to taxes. Not sure though :dunno:

#3 ·
Thanks for a shot at an explanation. I don't believe it's an import or tax issue since the X5 (for the entire world) is manufactured in the US at their plant in South Carolina.

Maybe BMWNA thinks us Americans would get confused with too many choices.

I like the camel interior with black trim/carpet so much, I would wait until 2008 if I thought it would be available then. I still wonder if it could be special ordered since X5's on the same assembly line have what I want.

#4 ·
X5 Colors

SpeedR,

I tried ordering my '07 X5 in Imola Red, but was told the factory is not accepting any colors outside of what is stanbard. Too bad, the colors you see available for the Z4 line are much more interesting and both vehicles:cry: are made on the same production line in S.C.

Buckstop:(

#5 ·
Some marketing genius in N.J. is responsible for limiting the options/colors. in their largest market, the U.S. Write to BMWUSA, as I have done, and complain. If enough people bitch, maybe they will either 1: Fire the moron in charge of this, or 2: Offer us what the rest of the World gets.

#7 ·

Because we are Americans, not europeans, even though many americans origin is europe
But we have plenty of food variety-all types of junk that make us look very different!

#9 ·
BMW pricing in the U.S. is bargain basement compared what they charge in the rest of the world. To help achieve this, limiting choices is one of the little tricks they use to streamline production and reduce costs.
Good theory, however, all X5's (for the entire world) are assembled at the same plant, on the same exact line in South Carolina. I don't see how they could reduce cost by limiting color options to cars on the assembly line for USA mixed with others on the same line.

#14 ·

Contact your salesman at your dealership and see if he is able to put through a special order through BMWNA.The US doesn't officially have the individual program, but many people have been able to order individual interior and exterior colors.You just need a salesman who wants to work with BMMNA to get it done.There probably aren't many because they don't get any extra money for putting in special orders.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.