PDA

View Full Version : Glad I went with 2008 550i instead of new M3!

jcflys
03-07-2007, 10:08 AM
Well the pictures and video are out as most of you know. I am not really impressed with the looks of the car. The front end and side vents are nice, but I dont care much for some of the other stuff. I was really torn for a while between the two cars and then started hearing about the MSRP and delays in getting it to the market so I decided to go with the 550i.

It looks like I made the right decision for me anyway. It will have lots of upgrade potential, but it is already going to be an expensive car.

Would any of you 2007-2008 550i owners consider trading yours in? Not me.

Robert A
03-09-2007, 09:11 PM
Well, I have a new 2007 530i and there's one important thing to remember: The 2008 E60 is the same car. Now, there are cosmetic differences, but the chassis and the running gear is the same, and the iDrive, at least on paper, is still poorly conceived. Autocar reported that the only change to the handling was lighter (still) steering. Otherwise, it's the same car.

Well the pictures and video are out as most of you know. I am not really impressed with the looks of the car. The front end and side vents are nice, but I dont care much for some of the other stuff. I was really torn for a while between the two cars and then started hearing about the MSRP and delays in getting it to the market so I decided to go with the 550i.

It looks like I made the right decision for me anyway. It will have lots of upgrade potential, but it is already going to be an expensive car.

stevepow
03-09-2007, 09:44 PM
The 2008 E60 is the same car.

:confused:

I thought there were new engines, a new standard step trans, a new sport auto trans, a new M suspension in the 550i Sport - other than that and the cosmetics, I reckon its the same car :rolleyes:

SteVTEC
03-10-2007, 06:23 AM
revised engines, trannys, and suspensions do not a whole new car make. :p

rich/minn
03-10-2007, 06:38 AM

I agree. I traded my 2006 3 series sport, for a 2007 530 sport(got a great deal on the 530). I just could not get used to the way the e90 looked from the outside. I think the e60's adapted to the new exterior look, much better. Of course this is all subject, to your personal taste. I would definetly go with the 550, before the new m3.

stevepow
03-10-2007, 09:45 AM
revised engines, trannys, and suspensions do not a whole new car make. :p

Of course not - you have to add the cosmetics. :)

At any rate, I only meant to clarify that, in truth, the overall cosmetics are some of most similar aspects of the new model, not the least. There can be some fairly big differences under the skin depending on the model.

Robert A
03-10-2007, 10:54 AM
Yes, there are new engines - but it's still the same basic E60.

:confused:

I thought there were new engines, a new standard step trans, a new sport auto trans, a new M suspension in the 550i Sport - other than that and the cosmetics, I reckon its the same car :rolleyes:

itzeug
03-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Okay, well let me just start by saying that out of all the new designs, it is pretty clear that the 5 series was hurt the most, because it is obviously the ugliest. now as for 550 vs new m3, it is sad that you feel you made the better choice, because you didnt! you chose the old and the ugly, vs, well, vs the M3.

just my opinion, don't bash me, i really think the 5 is nasty lookin

Robert A
03-10-2007, 11:11 AM
I think my car is pretty good looking, but what really matters is how it drives.

Okay, well let me just start by saying that out of all the new designs, it is pretty clear that the 5 series was hurt the most, because it is obviously the ugliest. now as for 550 vs new m3, it is sad that you feel you made the better choice, because you didnt! you chose the old and the ugly, vs, well, vs the M3.

itzeug
03-10-2007, 11:13 AM
I think my car is pretty good looking, but what really matters is how it drives.

i totally agree with you. i understand that there are better looking cars, and i also chose my car for the way it drives, 100***37; only reason i bought it, is because of the way it drives. but when you are spending SOOO much money on a car, you can have it look good as well. it can satisfy more then one need, which is why its a good car.

btw.. the new m3 def. drives better then the 5 anyway (?)

krash
03-10-2007, 02:49 PM

:dunno:
5 Series ugly???
WTF!

stevepow
03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
Never drove or owned an M3 that wasn't a fine car. I'm glad you are happy with your decision, but for many, that new M3 is gonna be HOT HOT HOT!

5s and 3s are apples and oranges or maybe truffles and caviar - both very good in the proper course.

chuck92103
03-10-2007, 07:53 PM
The M car to have in my mind is the M coupe.

The M3 has lost its way and will weigh as much as a 6 series. :tsk: BMW has sold out the M badge plopping it on anything with 4 wheels like MB has done with AMG. A real tragedy.

The 335 will be more desirable than the M3 for many reasons including tranny options.

stevepow
03-10-2007, 11:59 PM
The M car to have in my mind is the M coupe.

The M3 has lost its way and will weigh as much as a 6 series. :tsk: BMW has sold out the M badge plopping it on anything with 4 wheels like MB has done with AMG. A real tragedy.

The 335 will be more desirable than the M3 for many reasons including tranny options.

Yep, 335i and 535i will likely be the sweet spot for the current run of cars.

jacksonhunter31
03-11-2007, 08:45 AM

I couldn't disagree more. I think the five series is the best of Bangle's creations..the design language seems to flow thru the entire car--not just added on. I've heard him interviewed and I think for him the 5ers are the design he's happiest with. I understand that some folks don't lke them--but that may be because people tend to like what they know and are familar with--and Bangle has stretched the car enthusiasts' understanding of design. BMW has always had terrific engineering, but often the exterior shell and interior design were safe, and sometimes even boring.

It is measure of his influence that you can see his design language showing up in cars like Lexus, Audi and even some US makes.

rich/minn
03-11-2007, 12:46 PM
I couldn't disagree more. I think the five series is the best of Bangle's creations..the design language seems to flow thru the entire car--not just added on. I've heard him interviewed and I think for him the 5ers are the design he's happiest with. I understand that some folks don't lke them--but that may be because people tend to like what they know and are familar with--and Bangle has stretched the car enthusiasts' understanding of design. BMW has always had terrific engineering, but often the exterior shell and interior design were safe, and sometimes even boring.

It is measure of his influence that you can see his design language showing up in cars like Lexus, Audi and even some US makes.

I completely agree.:thumbup: