PDA

View Full Version : 2008 550i Sport Package too Sporty or Pimping?

bmwguynj
03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Funny question to you guys.

I was thinking about getting a 07 550i Sport and know that the slightly revamped 08 550i is out now, so I can either go for a leftover 07 at a better price or get the latest and greatest 08.

I like the new 08 550i Sport with the Aero Kit, but I have come to think is that kit just adding too much to the 550i? What I mean is I like the current 07 550i Sport, since it has always looks clean and classy, but do you believe the 08 Aero Kit is just adding too much sport and pimping to the new 08 550i sport? I think I am getting old since this is a business vehicle and the Aero Kit with the lower ground effects makes it more like a tricked out ride.

Maybe this is why in the past the Aerokit was an accessory option instead of mandatory Sport Package Option.

Your comments would be much appreciated.

550ZSP
03-07-2007, 12:57 PM
I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. If you think the M5 is too "tricked out looking," then I'd say that the 08 500i Sport would fall under the same appearance category since the body kits are very similar.

If that's the case, I'd suggest going for the 07 since you'll be able to get one at a great price / lease rate right now.

BMWSTL
03-07-2007, 12:58 PM

I was thinking about getting a 07 550i Sport and know that the slightly revamped 08 550i is out now, so I can either go for a leftover 07 at a better price or get the latest and greatest 08.

I like the new 08 550i Sport with the Aero Kit, but I have come to think is that kit just adding too much to the 550i? What I mean is I like the current 07 550i Sport, since it has always looks clean and classy, but do you believe the 08 Aero Kit is just adding too much sport and pimping to the new 08 550i sport? I think I am getting old since this is a business vehicle and the Aero Kit with the lower ground effects makes it more like a tricked out ride.

Maybe this is why in the past the Aerokit was an accessory option instead of mandatory Sport Package Option.

IMHO, the aero kit looks very classy. It's sporty for sure, but in a conservative, very "proper" sort of way. Not a "boy racer" trim package. I doubt that BMW will offer an "aero kit delete" (they offer a "spoiler delete" with the M5).

If the aero kit concerns you, and you want an '08 with the sport package, one option would be to get the 535i as it doesn't have the aero kit as part of ZSP. An '07 550i would also work, but you'd be getting the older transmission and some other "older" items as well (if that matters to you; some changes are pretty subtle).

Lou

bmwguynj
03-07-2007, 12:59 PM
I guess it's a matter of personal opinion. If you think the M5 is too "tricked out looking," then I'd say that the 08 500i Sport would fall under the same appearance category since the body kits are very similar.

If that's the case, I'd suggest going for the 07 since you'll be able to get one at a great price / lease rate right now.

Thanks again for the comments. Either way you can't lose and it's just a matter of preference like you said and possibly what you use it for (more business or pleasure). Congrats on your upcoming 08 550i Sport!

bmwguynj
03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
IMHO, the aero kit looks very classy. It's sporty for sure, but in a conservative, very "proper" sort of way. Not a "boy racer" trim package. I doubt that BMW will offer an "aero kit delete" (they offer a "spoiler delete" with the M5).

If the aero kit concerns you, and you want an '08 with the sport package, one option would be to get the 535i as it doesn't have the aero kit as part of ZSP. An '07 550i would also work, but you'd be getting the older transmission and some other "older" items as well (if that matters to you; some changes are pretty subtle).

Lou

Lou thanks for the feedback. I too was thinking about the 535i, but it's still no 550i. I guess I should try to see a 08 550i sport in person to get a better feel for it.

SSbear44
03-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I was faced with the same issue, although it was january so i was able to special order an 07. To me, the increase cost and the changes were not worth it for an 08. I too did not want the m-kit and am confused why they married it to the sport package. If you like the old style, then why spend the money just to be current. The only problem you may have is finding an 07 in the US with the options you want.

bmwguynj
03-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I was faced with the same issue, although it was january so i was able to special order an 07. To me, the increase cost and the changes were not worth it for an 08. I too did not want the m-kit and am confused why they married it to the sport package. If you like the old style, then why spend the money just to be current. The only problem you may have is finding an 07 in the US with the options you want.

SSbear, there are still some 07 550is on the dealer lots here in S.CA and the discounts are around $3K without negotiation yet, so to get a 07 550i or an 08 535i is weighing on my mind, but either an 07 or 08 550i is still in a different class as a 07 535i. BMW is doing an awesome job of providing it's buyers with so many great choices!

SSbear44
03-07-2007, 01:12 PM
I guess it was just the setup i was looking for that he couldn't find. He showed me the dealer search. I got a decent deal at about $1500 over invoice and a .0015 money factor. I pick up Saturday, so i will let you know how it feels and looks. I have never minded being a year behind in model year as long as the new model didn't have anything special i would miss.

bmwguynj
03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
I guess it was just the setup i was looking for that he couldn't find. He showed me the dealer search. I got a decent deal at about $1500 over invoice and a .0015 money factor. I pick up Saturday, so i will let you know how it feels and looks. I have never minded being a year behind in model year as long as the new model didn't have anything special i would miss.

Congrats to you again! I was thinking if I were going for the 6 Cylinder version, I would definitely wait for the 535i, instead of settling for the 07 530, that seems like a no brainer.

SSbear44
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
is it saturday yet??? :banghead:

BMWSTL
03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
I too was thinking about the 535i, but it's still no 550i.

I'm thinking hard about the 535i instead of a 550i. I will need to drive both to make up my mind. But I wouldn't shrug it off. It's pretty close in performance to the 550i for a lot less money.

The 535i has 300 lb-ft of torque available from 1400 - 5200 rpm, and per BMW its 0-60 times only .2 seconds slower than the 550i. It's about $8k less for similarly equippped cars (automatic). Not too shabby.

Lou

stevepow
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM

I was kind of thinking the same thing. It would be nicer if that was an option.

jcflys
03-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Everything about driving a BMW is PIMP baby!! I think it looks classy instead of gaudy or over done. It would be different if you had one of those big old ricer wings on the back with the cheap ground affects.

But I urge you not to get it, because I don't want a lot of people driving the same pretty beast that I will be driving.

bmwguynj
03-08-2007, 10:23 AM
Everything about driving a BMW is PIMP baby!! I think it looks classy instead of gaudy or over done. It would be different if you had one of those big old ricer wings on the back with the cheap ground affects.

But I urge you not to get it, because I don't want a lot of people driving the same pretty beast that I will be driving.

I like the way that you think! I guess I will just have to see it in person to determine if the Aerokit is too much, the initial BMWUSA Website photos are probably distorted somewhat.

bobr2001
03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
it may be best to switch the m172 mags with some chrome 20 inchers with spinners. then you will surely have some real bling. have a great time with it.

jkc_335
03-08-2007, 12:27 PM
I think the aero kit for the 5 seires looks great. It's almost a must IMHO.

bmwguynj
03-08-2007, 12:39 PM
You know, now that I look at some of the CG Photos more closely on BMWUSA.com, the rear apron spoiler and side spoilers still look sleek, I think it's the angle of the Aero-kit front spoiler with it's low lip that is skewed in this drawing. Any photos of this new Aero Kit from Europe? Of course the new 19" rims are still beautiful!

bargamon
03-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Keep it stealth and hide the wealth!

IF you got the goods then your the only one that got to enjoy it.

The aero kit is a bit of bling inmho.

They look nice, but if its a daily business driver you might want to lay low.

Unless your at the point of some network marketing pyramid.

bmwguynj
03-08-2007, 01:03 PM
Keep it stealth and hide the wealth!

IF you got the goods then your the only one that got to enjoy it.

The aero kit is a bit of bling inmho.

They look nice, but if its a daily business driver you might want to lay low.

Unless your at the point of some network marketing pyramid.

I see what you are trying to say, but it's still tough to hide the wealth when you are driving a BMW 550i or even a 535i. But the Aero-Kit and 19" rims will definitely attract more attention now which could be good or bad.

I do understand your comment on the business driver end.

bmwguynj
03-09-2007, 02:41 AM
Do you guys also believe that the Aero-Kit will only look good on dark exteior colored vehicles (Black, Monaco Blue, etc..) as opposed to the lighter exterior colors, like Silver or Space Gray, or even white?

beauport
03-09-2007, 06:54 AM
Do you guys also believe that the Aero-Kit will only look good on dark exteior colored vehicles (Black, Monaco Blue, etc..) as opposed to the lighter exterior colors, like Silver or Space Gray, or even white?

That probably comes down to personal taste, though some colors will show the aero design to greater effect. I think white would look great, I wouldn't buy it but that's just my taste but I'd love to see it on someone else's car.

doug_999
03-09-2007, 08:17 AM
I for one am not a big fan of the aero kit. Kind of like the sides and maybe the tail, but the front ugh.... This is my personal opinion.

I loved the fact that I could order the aero kit or not. I am disappointed that we are stuck ordering it with the 550 now. Choice is good....

Oh and if it was me, I think I would go with the 07 :)

jcflys
03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
it may be best to switch the m172 mags with some chrome 20 inchers with spinners. then you will surely have some real bling. have a great time with it.

LMAO!! I just blew Mountain Dew through my nose. That was too funny!!

550ZSP
03-09-2007, 10:29 AM
I have one coming in Alpine White in a few weeks...

quackbury
03-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I have one coming in Alpine White in a few weeks...

I normally don't like white cars but I saw a white E60 M5 last weekend and it was AWESOME!

BTW, in 2003 the aero kit was also part of the 540i SP. So there is a precedent.

If I was making a buying decision today, I would weigh the fact that I do NOT like the non-SP lower grille on the '08's; the catfish snarl on my '06 looks way better IMHO.

bmwguynj
03-09-2007, 04:15 PM
I for one am not a big fan of the aero kit. Kind of like the sides and maybe the tail, but the front ugh.... This is my personal opinion.

I loved the fact that I could order the aero kit or not. I am disappointed that we are stuck ordering it with the 550 now. Choice is good....

Oh and if it was me, I think I would go with the 07 :)

The front Aero-Kit Spoiler does take some getting used to since it's aggressive, so maybe that is what is bothering me, but it's also nice to be different, but can you imagine all the curb rash that low front spoiler would have to endure when trying to park?

550ZSP
03-09-2007, 06:30 PM
The crub rash issue is a very good point. In a way, it's the price you pay if you decide to include the Sport Package / M Aero Kit. I had an e46 M3 and it was the same issue--all M series cars and BMWs with an M tech kit have that tradeoff.

stevepow
03-09-2007, 09:55 PM
I just took a look through that posted 08 e60 brochure and the 08 550i Sport may cause the 535i Sport to become the new low-key, high-end, sport version of the e60. The pics in the brochure look really classy - the subtle updates are just right.

And it also makes my car suddenly seem more interesting to have - can't get one like that anymore. But, if I were getting an '08, I'd be giving the 535i Sport a hard look.

I think the 550i Sport in the pics looks really smokin' :thumbup:, I could almost want it - but I worry it may be a little over the top - at least for some of us.

jcflys
03-09-2007, 11:24 PM
Hey Steve check out this thread with actual pictures taken from a dealer. Man it looks hot except for the wheel spaces.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2226220#post2226220

bmwguynj
03-10-2007, 03:43 AM
Hey Steve check out this thread with actual pictures taken from a dealer. Man it looks hot except for the wheel spaces.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2226220#post2226220

I believe it's growing on me, not too pimpin except for the front spoiler, but it's still such a beautiful car and change is always for the better. Now I just wonder as stated earlier does the kit look better in darker colors as opposed to lighther colors. I like Space Gray or Silver, but these photos of Monaco Blue and other dark colors makes the package look even more awesome in my opinion.

The Photos are good, but it does not show the rear spoiler that is part of the 08 550i Sport Aero Kit. I am not a fan of spoilers, but this one is subtle, not flushed against the trunk since it's somewhat arched over it with a small gap from what I can see from the 08 brochure, so it's sport yet subtle. But still no need for a spoiler to take away from the lines of thie beautiful vehicle!

bmwguynj
03-12-2007, 12:11 AM
I'm not sure if there is a rear trunk spoiler included with the Aerokit at this time. It shows it somewhat in the Brochure, but maybe as an accesory?

doug_999
03-12-2007, 08:51 AM
I believe it's growing on me, not too pimpin except for the front spoiler, but it's still such a beautiful car and change is always for the better. Now I just wonder as stated earlier does the kit look better in darker colors as opposed to lighther colors. I like Space Gray or Silver, but these photos of Monaco Blue and other dark colors makes the package look even more awesome in my opinion.

But no more Monaco Blue with sport package on 550.... :(

royz86
03-12-2007, 10:47 PM

I'd go with 07. I like the sports package, but I prefer the 18" in 07 550i and without aero-kit... but if you want to have the latest then no question go with 08 550i

bmwguynj
03-14-2007, 05:28 PM
I'd go with 07. I like the sports package, but I prefer the 18" in 07 550i and without aero-kit... but if you want to have the latest then no question go with 08 550i

How about those nice 19" on the 08? Looks good too.

bmwguynj
03-14-2007, 05:30 PM
But no more Monaco Blue with sport package on 550.... :(

Blue is beautiful and I don't get to see many of those, however my first love is still the Silver Gray / Now Space Gray.

coolynice
03-15-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't like white car's but there is something about the BMW's and their sports package on white, I saw a 530i with the M sport in white and it stood out more than mine without the M' package.

bmwguynj
03-15-2007, 11:23 AM
Man I have to to pull the trigger on this one soon and I still love Silver-Gray, now Space Gray. It's just confusing now that, the Aerokit in the Brochure shows a low profile spoiler now, so I guess it comes with a spoiler (earlier reports it did not mention this).

CVT Benhogan
03-15-2007, 12:32 PM
Possibly a little pimpy. But the Msport suspension is a key plus. 172s do nothing for me.

Never been a fan of the M sport look, so I'm likely in the minority on this. Thing is, even a slight cladding look seems too boy racer like. IMHO even the M5 looks overdone.

CVT Benhogan

bmwguynj
03-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Where are the real world photos of this 08 Sport Package?