PDA

View Full Version : Couple Misc X3 Options Questions for you bubbas...

MMME30W
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
Hey X3 bubbas, got a couple option questions for you all, any info/input appreciated.

1) Servotronic steering - Is this a no-brainer? Its a cheap option and from what I read makes steering effort reduced at low speed. Anyone drive with/without back to back?

2) Privacy glass - my local CA does not have a pair with/without I can view; can anyone post a picture of their privacy-glass equpped back windows? I'm trying to get a feel for how dark it is...i.e. is it in the range of e.g. a Minivan back window...?

3) HID headlights...I understand the stock headlight is Halogen. Anyone have the HID and swear by them? Halogen's ok? I know this is kind of a religious topic with some people; I have HIDs on my E46 and really like them, but I'm not convinced that the "swivel" feature that come with the HIDs on the X3 is really worth it...

Thanks...appreciate any thoughts...

AzNMpower32
03-07-2007, 03:54 PM
1. The standard rack is pretty darn good. From what I've heard, the Servotronic is better because its vehicle speed-based versus rpm-based. You cannot go wrong either way, but IMO $250 is a bargain so get it.

2. Ditch the privacy glass. It's too light and barely makes a diff. Here's the view from the inside: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v31/AzN1MpOrT2nR/my%20X3/panroof.jpg

3. Yes, get the xenons, no question. You also get the angel eyes this way.

Tucsonbmw
03-07-2007, 04:02 PM
I just got my 07 X3si.
1st off definately get the Xenons. you will regret it if you don't. I test drove both the halogen and the xenons. The swivel fxn is ok but the main difference is the brightness. The xenons blow away the halogens.
2nd servotronic is ok but not a neccesity. it was made for women who can't apply as much pressure to the steering wheel at low speed. the responiveness of the SI at speeds above 15mph is the same.
3rd. Don't blow your money on the privacy glass it is waste. go to an aftermarket place and get it done. I live in tucson,az I have to get limo black all around or I will die. it cost me 150.
hope this helps.

berbutler
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Hey X3 bubbas, got a couple option questions for you all, any info/input appreciated.

1) Servotronic steering - Is this a no-brainer? Its a cheap option and from what I read makes steering effort reduced at low speed. Anyone drive with/without back to back?

Thanks...appreciate any thoughts...

I decided agianst the Servotronic on my new 2007 X3 I just picked up.

I don't remember if the X3's I test drove before I placed my order had this option - I just did not think of it as I had other issues I was trying to resolve. I am guessing one of them probably did.

My sales person suggested I not order it - she was not a fan of Servotronic for whatever reason, so I did not include this option.

The funny thing is, none of the X3's I road tested drove as comfortable and crisp as the one I bought - go figure?

I have read some negative feedback from people on the Servotronic, do some searching, but in all fairness there seems to be more positive feedback than negative regarding this option.

I am very happy without this option on my 07 - so I doubt having ordered it would have made my driving experience any better. For me, the X3 is quite easy to turn, even in narrow spaces without the Servotronic.

Try both and then decide..................

Cheers,

BB

SFX3
03-07-2007, 04:29 PM
I had a loaner with the Servo and although it is a nice feature IMO not worth the $ unless you really want the cadillac steering feel at low speeds. Parking effort is almost non existent even without the Servo. Couldnt really notice a difference at highway speeds.

I had no idea what Privacy glass was until a week ago. With that said I have not seen a
X3 sold without that option. Its not dark at all but IMO not so clear that items in the trunk are blantantly obvious to someone walking by (I keep my cargo cover open).

HID headlights: You're right...this is a personal preference. I love Xenon lights. I have them on a e46 and couldnt imagine that car without them. They give excellent road coverage in all sorts of conditions as you already know. However, since you are asking if they are worth the $, I would have to say no. The X3 halogens provide good coverage and illuminate the road well (especially with Silverstars). I live in a large city and dont feel the adaptive feature plays much into my driving routine. If I were to live in the suburbs with stretches of dark roads with twisties I would feel differently. There is an important factor Im leaving out here...a personal preference of course... but none the less (and excuse me if I sound childish or immature) which is, that I really think HIDs give the car a more "luxury" appearance. Whether from seeing said car in the rear view mirror, driving down the street, or even noticing the light housing during the day the HIDs exude "luxury"...lol...maybe I need to grow up.

x3pig
03-07-2007, 04:56 PM
2007 X3 3.0si here - no servotronic, but I love the feel of the standard steering. Initially I thought it might be a bit to heavy for my wife, but she just laughed at me when I made the comment - she loves it to ;)

Regarding HIDs, here in Canada they are standard on the si; what is an option is the "active headlights" feature, which I believe includes the swivel main lights as well as uses the fog lamps to better lights to the side in turns. Frankly, I have driven the car with the standard HIDs (no active headlights) and found the illumination excellent. I definitely see advantage of the higher light ouput from the HID units over normal halogen lights. I don't see how the active headlights would add significant benefit, but must admit that I have never seen them in action.

MMME30W
03-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Tks Bros. :thumbup:

Azn - props for taking the time to post a picture, hard to believe its tinted at all, it looks so light...

b-y
03-07-2007, 05:32 PM
2) Privacy glass - my local CA does not have a pair with/without I can view; can anyone post a picture of their privacy-glass equpped back windows? I'm trying to get a feel for how dark it is...i.e. is it in the range of e.g. a Minivan back window...?

3) HID headlights...I understand the stock headlight is Halogen. Anyone have the HID and swear by them? Halogen's ok? I know this is kind of a religious topic with some people; I have HIDs on my E46 and really like them, but I'm not convinced that the "swivel" feature that come with the HIDs on the X3 is really worth it...

(2) I have notice that many of the anti-privacy-glass comments come from outside of California or Florida. IMO it is worthwhile for two reasons: (a) it really does cut down on heat transmission, keeping the insides more temperate in sunny weather and (b) you don't need to deal with an installer. Although the BMW version may not be as dark as some. it works.

(3) As mentioned above, the issue is not HID or not, but rather "do you want the adaptive headlights system?". The lights follow the steering somewhat (5 deg. left to 15 deg. right) and do a very nice job. The implementation seems odd at first: the outer units are HID low and high beams for normal driving, the inner are high beam only for flashing (QI, I think).

NateXTR
03-07-2007, 08:06 PM
(2) I have notice that many of the anti-privacy-glass comments come from outside of California or Florida. IMO it is worthwhile for two reasons: (a) it really does cut down on heat transmission, keeping the insides more temperate in sunny weather and (b) you don't need to deal with an installer. Although the BMW version may not be as dark as some. it works.

I opted out of the privacy glass, because I had planned to get a slightly darker tint done aftermarket.

What really bums me out is that they don't offer a sunshade option. I got it in the 3er and we don't even have kids (yet - wife due in three weeks). I just don't like those suction cup things...

Wingspan, get the Xenons, I love 'em. :thumbup:

AzNMpower32
03-07-2007, 08:49 PM
What really bums me out is that they don't offer a sunshade option. I got it in the 3er and we don't even have kids (yet - wife due in three weeks). I just don't like those suction cup things...
Actually..............they do!:thumbup:

Not a widely known feature or accessory, but here's the link to the thread.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139505

davelv
03-07-2007, 10:10 PM
If you do a lot of city street driving and/or parking lots, and love the old real power steering feel vs the hand wearing too stiff steering that seems to be the car magazines' favorite now, get the servotronic. You won't regret it.

As to the rear tinted windows, they work well and unless you are a drug dealer don't need to be darker. Be aware that if you are leasing a vehicle and tint them yourself, you could owe BMW a whole lot of money to ensure they meet state regulations.

And finally, the xenons are well worth the money for brighter, cleaner light plus they do turn just enough to help.

You didn't ask, but I think the total beige interior is too bright and the total black too dark, so take a look at the mixed color interior - nice.

ish
03-08-2007, 05:46 AM
You didn't ask, but I think the total beige interior is too bright and the total black too dark, so take a look at the mixed color interior - nice.

The special orders are sweet.
Nevada / Tabacco leather

NateXTR
03-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Actually..............they do!:thumbup:

Not a widely known feature or accessory, but here's the link to the thread.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139505

I had no idea. Any idea if they can be put in now? (after the car has been built?) The ones in the 325xiT are built into the doors.

Thanks for the info...

berbutler
03-08-2007, 10:48 AM
I had no idea. Any idea if they can be put in now? (after the car has been built?) The ones in the 325xiT are built into the doors.

Thanks for the info...

They sure can!

If you read the thread you will see the owner installed these as an accessory after he purchased the car!

BB

AzNMpower32
03-08-2007, 01:40 PM
What's wrong with playing it safe, and going with gray? I think the gray leather with aluminum trim looks neat, modern, and sporty.

NateXTR
03-08-2007, 01:50 PM
They sure can!

If you read the thread you will see the owner installed these as an accessory after he purchased the car!

BB

Slammed at work, didn't have time to read the entire thread. Thanks.

cgrZ4
03-08-2007, 07:54 PM
I ordered a new X3 3.0SI for my wife with all three options you listed along with numerious other options. I see that you live in Florida (vs Michigan) so the tinted glass option may not be sufficient to keep the heat down.

Since you do live in Florida, one thing I would HIGHLY recommend is the Performance Center Delivery option. We picked up my Z4 in 2003 and her X3 in November and loved every minute of it. Orlando is much closer than Grand Rapids and IMHO a no brainer.

Chuck

davelv
03-08-2007, 09:44 PM
What's wrong with playing it safe, and going with gray? I think the gray leather with aluminum trim looks neat, modern, and sporty.

I'm just not a grey interior person. Never had one, never will. I think it is because my parents have had multiple grey interior cars, and I just associated it with being old.

adc
03-09-2007, 11:45 AM

Ditch it - it's exactly like the picture suggests. If you want something for a child, may I suggest the removable perforated shades (a la E46). They have a set for the rear doors, another one for the rear quarter windows and a 3rd shade for the rear hatch window.

I just bought the 1st set for mine (the other windows are not in a direct sunlight path to the rear child seat).

You're right, the swivel feature is useful but only moderately so. I could live with or without it.

But the Xenons are a must - much better beam pattern and coverage than on my E46. Hands down, the best lights I've ever experienced in a car (not that it's saying much).

Richard in NC
03-09-2007, 06:12 PM
I have and like the servotronic. Although I've never driven oe without it. I'm a big fan of the HIDs with the swivel feature. I drive up to West Virginia a lot. The headlights are incredible on the curvy dark back roads. Deer along side the road can be spotted so much more easily.