PDA

View Full Version : Buying a CPO X3 - SATURDAY

jman103099
03-08-2007, 08:42 PM
Im excited! I sold my car in one day! So, Saturday im going to a dealership 2 hours away to look at a few 06 CPO X3s they have :rofl: So...

What should I ask? - Service history, etc.

What should I look for?

Each of them have between 9 - 14k miles on them and all are CPO that they have. They are all priced well below Blue Book vlaue too. (Which kinda scares me :dunno: )

Any info you can give me on the buying process would be great. This will be my first car at a real dealership too.

Anyways, I appreciate everything I have learned on this board and I can't wait to add to it and help you guys (and gals) out in return.

Thanks.

PhilH
03-08-2007, 08:51 PM
Service histories are good to get, but the dealers I talked to would only read them to me verbally and would not give me copies.

Advice from someone who recently bought a CPO X3...check over each car carefully. I was surprised by the damage on some of the CPO cars, such as holes in the interior door panels, and both big and small scratches in the exterior paint.

Listen for the squeaky doors during your test drives, and get their service department to do a treatment with Carboflo if they do squeak.

AzNMpower32
03-08-2007, 09:07 PM
In addition to the service history and squeaking door seals mentioned above, double check interior and exterior condition. Is the paint scratched? Is the driver's seat bolster worn? Believe it or not, they do miss these kinds of things. Oh and check the tires for uneven/irregular wear. As a minor consideration, avoid the Bridgestones.

Then look at the options. Xenons are important no matter what.........you won't regret it. Sport package depends on whether you like the firm ride or a firmer ride. Heated steering wheel is nice if it doesnt have sport pack.

Just cuz the dealership is far, don't be afraid to walk away. Don't think "well, i didnt come here to leave empty handed". Drive the ones you like, take note of any issues, think it thru. An extra 2 hr trip is worth it if it means you spend your hard-earned $30-37k wisely. :thumbup:

kyfdx
03-09-2007, 08:04 AM
If they won't pull the service history and show it to you... then just say no...

I can understand them not letting you take it with you, as it may have personal info about the previous owner... But, if they won't let you look at it, and explain the codes, just go somewhere else, as they might have something to hide....

stangmatt66
03-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Since this is your first purchase at a "real" dealership, watch out for tricks of the trade. Always negotiate the price of the vehicle, not the monthly payment. Watch out for hidden fees, charges, add-ons, extended warranties, etc. If you have to haggle for more than an hour, walk away, the dealership will call you back.

Good luck and welcome to Bimmerfest! Post pics of you new ride when you pick it up!

JBasham
03-13-2007, 09:06 AM
Just curious, where does CPO get cars this fresh? I know 1-year leases are available, but I never imagined people actually took anything less than 2.

AzNMpower32
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Just curious, where does CPO get cars this fresh? I know 1-year leases are available, but I never imagined people actually took anything less than 2.
Service loaners/testers. Sometimes they buy from auctions.

kjboyd
03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
people hated it, it had too many problems.. etc etc.

jman103099
03-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Bought my car Saturday... they had about 5 of them. Never titled - all their service loaners. I will post more about it (purchase, how in love I am with it, etc) later. I have no time this week!!! :cry:

Thanks for eveyone's help with it though! Bimmerfest has made everything so much easier!

kjboyd
03-13-2007, 04:33 PM
hmmm, loaner huh?

jman103099
03-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Oh no?! Problem that it was a loaner? I saw the carfax and service history... all seemed to check out...

kjboyd
03-13-2007, 05:34 PM
it's just that, well, people tend to care a lot less about how they drive a loaner/rental than their own car. but since it's fully warranteed still... no need to worry.
did you buy or lease?

jman103099
03-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Bought... CPO 13xxx miles. Paid $34,000. Really all options except xenons... :( I think I got a good deal, and the car really looks new and still smells new.

SARAFIL
03-13-2007, 05:45 PM

Some people trade cars frequently so the dealers get them when people upgrade. Other sources are service loaner fleets (usually replaced every 6-12 months) and BMWNA auctions (company cars).

MPBX3
03-13-2007, 05:50 PM
I would say if it's a CPO, should be a safe bet.

We bought a 04 CPO back in Nov 05. Dealer claimed that it was used as an Executive car, not loaner.

X3 had 10,200 miles and looked great. Walked out the door at $29,000+ tax.

JBasham
03-14-2007, 07:26 AM
I would say if it's a CPO, should be a safe bet.

We bought a 04 CPO back in Nov 05. Dealer claimed that it was used as an Executive car, not loaner.

X3 had 10,200 miles and looked great. Walked out the door at $29,000+ tax.

What a total DEAL!

dbtheo
03-14-2007, 07:58 AM
More than likely the cars are loaners. I would not let that scare you, I work for a bmw center & have sold several loaners. BMW as a company is very serious about the quality of cpo cars, and does not allow dealers to take shortcuts in certifing the cars. You should be able to buy with confidence.

Keep in mind, if it was a service loaner. That means the car has never been titled, if you are trading a car in, you may be able to get tax savings depending on what state you are in.

kjboyd
03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
BMW is serious about CPOd cars huh? they must have just been funny the day they did mine. Like hmm, the repainted front end that wasn't disclosed to me.

silvergray
03-14-2007, 08:12 PM
^^^ Haha me too! Repainted front bumpers on BOTH of my CPO'ed Bimmers! Looks like they forgot that step of the "checklist"

kjboyd
03-14-2007, 10:33 PM
not to mention a bad fuel pump, two bad window regulators, a missing seatbealt cover, less than 5***37; on the brakes... shall i go on?

crazybelgian
03-15-2007, 06:16 AM
I'm leasing a loaner and it's great. no problems at all. They did fix a couple of dings that it had right away, but that was before I took delivery. My brother-in-law is leasing a loaner from them as well. Funny thing is, they didn't call it CPO, I just lease it as if it was new, full warranty and maintenance program...
mine had around 8,000 miles on it.