PDA

View Full Version : Wheel/Tire/Spare questions

directcj
03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I have an 05 525 with ~30k miles on it. I recently got a nail/screw in the rf tire (I don't have the sp, hence no run flats) and apparently the FTM did'nt quite pick up the loss in pressure. When I got back to the car (after a day at work) the tire was completely flat and apparently is unrepairable.

I'm thinking now I need a tire, possibly 2 since I don't think getting just 1 new one with the other 3 at 30k isn't a good idea.

so...

should I:
get a set of 545/550 rims-tires (there are some used sets available sometimes on ebay)
get a set of 530 rims-tires
just buy a set of 4 new tires (from which mfr and which model?)
just buy a pair of tires and buy the other 2 when needed

Obviously the last one will probably be the cheapest but the 1st option is appealing. My question is with the space saver spare - is there a spare for the 550 sp? if so is it different from the 17" 525/530 wheels

Also, from experience of the folks here - how long do your set of 525/530/545/550 tires last? 30k, 45k, 50k?

vegastrashed
03-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Go and get yourself some 550i wheels. People over on e60.net are selling theirs all the time. http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showforum=11. You can negotiate with them. The 550i does come with a spare donut tire.

stream
03-09-2007, 09:21 AM
My answers below in bold.

My question is with the space saver spare - is there a spare for the 550 sp? if so is it different from the 17" 525/530 wheels
The space saver spare in my car ('05 545i w/ sport package) is size T 135/30 R17. Pic below.

Also, from experience of the folks here - how long do your set of 525/530/545/550 tires last? 30k, 45k, 50k?
I got a slow leak in one of my rear tires (Dunlop RFs). It was a screw, and no shops would touch it because the tire (both rears, actually) was down to the wear bars in the center 1/3. They had 17,000 miles on them, so I decided to take it as an opportunity to replace the RFs (even though the fronts probably had another 10,000 miles on them) with PS2s. Much better ride.

How long tires last is based on a few variables, not the least of which is driving habits and tire type. The high performance tires are much softer and wear out much faster.

directcj
03-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I agree, the 545/550 wheels/tires look good, the M5 OEMs are even better!
On my 525, the donut is also 135/80/17

Curious, will the e39 M5 OEM wheels also fit my car? or the e93 wheels that look like the 545/550's?

dominic.fung
04-29-2007, 06:57 PM
I am picking up my 05 545i CPO tomorrow. I was there last week to take a look at the car and found out there was no spare tires there. The hole was just empty. Even the delivery guy was surprised but then called me later and explained to me that was the way it was. Is it true? I don't want to get screwed because they forgot to check that before taking it from the previous owner. I have the sports package and premium package on the car.

Thanks!

stevepow
04-30-2007, 06:50 AM
I am picking up my 05 545i CPO tomorrow. I was there last week to take a look at the car and found out there was no spare tires there. The hole was just empty. Even the delivery guy was surprised but then called me later and explained to me that was the way it was. Is it true? I don't want to get screwed because they forgot to check that before taking it from the previous owner. I have the sports package and premium package on the car.

Thanks!

odd - my 550i Sport has a donut spare

Russ Williams
04-30-2007, 07:01 AM
My '05 545i also has the donut spare. BTW, I have seen several references to a premium package on the 545i/550i which comes standard. What are folks referring to...premium sound?

115sonic
04-30-2007, 10:00 AM
I would be very leary about ebay used tires. Most come from wrecking yards. Many tires from a wrecked vehicle have belt damage. You can likely drive the tire for a hundred miles before it fails.

dominic.fung
04-30-2007, 08:44 PM
Looks like I am getting screwed. They said the car came with run flats so no spares. :( Unless I can find a 05 brochure I don't know how else to prove to them. I need to get winter tires and without a spare I probably will need to get run flats too...

stevepow
05-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Looks like I am getting screwed. They said the car came with run flats so no spares. :( Unless I can find a 05 brochure I don't know how else to prove to them. I need to get winter tires and without a spare I probably will need to get run flats too...

My car has run flats and the small spare. Parts should know about it - ask them what spare comes with the 545i - and then just have them get you what you need as part of the deal.

dominic.fung
05-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Guess what? I emailed BMW Canada and was told that spares were not included in cars delivered with run flats. The reason being run flats and regular tires should never be mixed together as the construction, road behavior, etc, are very different. This does make sense but it doesn't, as according to their own website, new 5-series comes with a spare even with run flats as part of the sports package. I am close to giving up on it... as long as they don't ask for one back when I return the car at the end of the lease.

Ovboy1@aol.com
05-02-2007, 02:36 PM
If i keep my 335 convertibles tires inflated to 33 in the front and 40 in the back instead of the 32 in front and 39 in back that they recommend does that have any negative or positive effects on the car. For some reason i always keep my cars tires 1 psi above suggested so i just wanted to find out if im doing anythign wrong

stevepow
05-02-2007, 04:01 PM
The reason being run flats and regular tires should never be mixed together as the construction, road behavior, etc, are very different.

Sounds like complete crap - a donut is not a regular tire and obviously you are supposed to go easy on it and replace it ASAP with a proper tire. The statement is ridiculous enough to almost be insulting.

But maybe BMW Canada are just being cheap - seems like each country is different - odd that they include a spare with the newer models though - definitely not making any sense.

I'd say order the spare and related parts so you are not stuck if a run flat gets trashed - and that can happen.

dominic.fung
05-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the advice! I am looking at either ordering a spare, or get a repair kit. A friend of mine has a Mazda Miata. Regular tires and no room for a spare, so Mazda provides a repair kit. I am mostly like not going to get run flats for my winter tires. I should have added the winter package in the lease so I don't get stuck with them after I have returned the car at the end. Lesson learned I guess.

Anyone has any opinion on putting winter tires just on the summer rims to keep the cost down? I already have a set of Style 44 for my old E46 I need to sell... trying not to have to buy another set.

Cheers!