PDA

View Full Version : XM Direct (long)

David32
03-09-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi all, I have a 07 X3 sport with prem sound. I installed xm direct with no problem in the vehicle. However I am experiencing a slight problem with the sound quality. Tom from EAS has been very helpful with this even providing a replacement. But I wanted to see if any of you have experienced these problems and if so what you did to correct. I am thinking something must have not been programmed right at the dealership. Anyways here are the problems. 1. When playing the Xm the background bass and instruments are lovely however the voices have a distortion to them especially on r&b stations. I tried using the sirius antenna and also the xm antenna to see if the antenna was making a difference as the siruis sharkfin may be rated different. The voices when this happens almost has a static like tone. 2. I have the dice hookup on my radio i get a left side msg which says TEL, the right side says send/end. Ive also replaced the dice module and it says the same. Play of the dice is ok though so I just turned the text off. Im at wits end as to what to try besides just abandoning the Xm and trying to find a deal on a sirius rec. Any suggestions on what to try. THanks!!

David32
03-12-2007, 06:25 AM
After a weekend of playing with the system changing antennas etc. I think I have a clearer picture of the problem. The voice distortion is occurring on certain songs and on certain stations. Anybody else exp this? It makes the system sound really ragged. I can then switch to a mp3 cd i made or ipod and none of that? I know there are several others who have installed the xm direct. Any similar problems or solutions?

rda2w
03-12-2007, 06:53 PM
I'm using XMDirect but with a Blitzsafe converter on Business CD system (no Dice). I have not experienced any sound quality issues. I've been very happy so far. -RA

David32
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Yea im using blitzsafe also, I dont think its the dice because its also a direct connect. I just have no idea what could be periodically causing this on certain songs. I really dont have any idea what else to check unless something is not set right from the factory. Then again I dont want them fooling around with something and then saying I caused it. I have even experienced this tonal abnormality on 71 watercolors a jazz station on some songs with instruments. Like i said none of this on cds or ipod.

rda2w
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
Hmm, if it sounds OK with other inputs then I would look close at the connections after the XMdirect module. Did you exchange both the Xmdirect module and Blitzsafe converter? Maybe a loose or dirty connector? Did you have to change the connector on the back of the receiver head unit? If so make sure it is seated into the connector properly. If all the connections and cabling is OK and you've exchanged the XM stuff it could be a problem in the head unit satellite input channel. Sorry I could be more help. -RA

David32
03-13-2007, 07:59 PM
Well after stressing on this and trying possibilities, I think I chanced upon the answer. I unplugged the dice module and what do you know, no more distortion from any channel or song.:thumbup: Gonna have to check with EAS to see what to do next.