PDA

View Full Version : To Buy Or Not To Buy

goodman
03-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Here's the dilemma. There is a silver/gray 2004 545 I can buy with 11k mi, sport package, premium audio w/logic 7, navigation and shade. No bluetooth connectivity, which I wanted. The price is $40,500. There is a sapphire black/tan 2005 545 with 17k mi available with the same equipment, but also with bluetooth connectivity, I think, for $46,000. Was bluetooth connectivity standard on the 05s?

Should I cancel on the 04 and buy the 05, or now that I know the 08s are coming out early, wait until the 08s arrive, and perhaps flood the market with fresh 05s at lower prices?

Or, should I forget the whole thing, join a 12 step program, and buy a Toyota Yaris and a hair shirt?

Your comments on pricing, value of the deals I'm exploring, the quality and reliability of 04s compared with 05s, the availability and desirability of bluetooth, and the morality of my choices, will be valued and appreciated.

stream
03-10-2007, 08:47 AM
I have an '05 545i and bluetooth was standard. It's a great technology. If you decide you want to go with the '04 car, you could get the bluetooth upgrade module--see attached.

stevepow
03-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Or, should I forget the whole thing, join a 12 step program, and buy a Toyota Yaris and a hair shirt?

That will make the self-appointed snob police much happier, no doubt - do it :thumbup: , raise the bar for them :D .

BayAreaBMWFan
03-10-2007, 01:25 PM
I think you are paying too much money for the car. Have you thought of doing an ED on a 2008 550? You could get it in the late 50s nicely equipped. However, you will have 4 full years of warranty and a much newer car. You would also get better financing rates on a new car. Plus the 2008 model is a refresh so will depreciate a bit less than the other older models.

If I was making the choice I will not settle for a three model year old car for 20***37; less.

goodman
03-11-2007, 09:14 AM
I think you are paying too much money for the car. Have you thought of doing an ED on a 2008 550? You could get it in the late 50s nicely equipped. However, you will have 4 full years of warranty and a much newer car. You would also get better financing rates on a new car. Plus the 2008 model is a refresh so will depreciate a bit less than the other older models.

If I was making the choice I will not settle for a three model year old car for 20% less.

The car comes with an extended warranty and an extended maintenance program purchased by the original owner. What I'm realizing now is that in a few months it will be a four model year old car. If $40K is too much, what would be the right price for this '04 with 11K mi.?

goodman
03-11-2007, 09:26 AM
I have an '05 545i and bluetooth was standard. It's a great technology. If you decide you want to go with the '04 car, you could get the bluetooth upgrade module--see attached.
Thanks for the link. I read it, and it seems to say that this BTUM works only to add bluetooth connectivity to a car that is already equipped with an original CMT 9000 phone and phone holder. Am I missing something?

stream
03-11-2007, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the link. I read it, and it seems to say that this BTUM works only to add bluetooth connectivity to a car that is already equipped with an original CMT 9000 phone and phone holder. Am I missing something?

The BTUM plugs into the CPT9000 cradle, so if that's not installed in the car, it needs to be (you don't need the phone, since the module replaces the phone).

BayAreaBMWFan
03-12-2007, 12:57 PM
The car comes with an extended warranty and an extended maintenance program purchased by the original owner. What I'm realizing now is that in a few months it will be a four model year old car. If $40K is too much, what would be the right price for this '04 with 11K mi.?

Do a search for CPO cars on bmwusa.com. Then discount the price by 5-10% since this is not a dealer. You could also look at the lease residuals in the Ask a Dealer section. That will give you an idea of the most you should pay for the car. Add 10-15c/mile for low mileage. Do note that an ultra-low mileage car in a cold area may have had a lot of cold starts and cold weather driving which does not help the life of the engine. On the other hand a higher mileage car might have an engine in a better shape if it was operated in a warm climate.

I thing your total cost of ownership will be less with a 2008 ED car.