PDA

View Full Version : 535i expecting same problems as the 335i???

1hot3
03-10-2007, 12:35 PM
do we expect similar problems that some of the 335i are having with the new 535i coming out soon?

Ugly Bear
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
do we expect similar problems that some of the 335i are having with the new 535i coming out soon?

What kind of problems?

Bedford530i
03-10-2007, 02:38 PM
There are supposedly over-heating problems with the 335i.

AzNMpower32
03-10-2007, 02:48 PM
Very isolated, very few # of cases that occured at the very beginning of the production cycle, but unfortunately the issue was overblown. Seeing as how this will be the 2nd year of the engine, I highly doubt that you will have unusual overheating issues.

krash
03-10-2007, 04:36 PM

Is this an urban legend?

People keep asking about this, but I can't recall any 335i owner actually ever reporting "over-heating" problems on the e90 forums in Bimmerfest...There are tons of 335i owners over there. If this is a problem, you would think one of them would have mentioned it...

RichReg
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
The majority of these over-heating issues are being reported on E90post.com. :)

chonko
03-11-2007, 01:06 PM

I would say yes considering that we never had serious problems with the 335i.
There were mythical overheating problems, but no real overheating problems.

sayemthree
03-11-2007, 04:16 PM
I would say yes considering that we never had serious problems with the 335i.
There were mythical overheating problems, but no real overheating problems.
not all so mythical- had a friend who tracked his and after a few laps it would overheat and start to shut down. havent heard if he got it fixed.

jumpinjoe
03-11-2007, 09:47 PM
I wonder if these cars had the ecu modified to gain more power. Perhaps a larger intercooler would help?

1hot3
03-12-2007, 11:52 AM
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic

528i does not seem like a bad idea!!!

jkc_335
03-12-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm sure we would hear more if this was a frequently occuring problem. Some are concerned about the oil temp gauge reading 240F or even a bit more. But as some have pointed out this has more to do with the fact that 240F is not center on the gauge as it is on European spec models where temps are measured in C and the corresponding value of roughly 115C is in the middle. Nobody knows why BMW chose to put the normal operating temperature at 2/3 of the gauge for the US market and dead center for the Europeans. Anyway, I've had my car for a couple month now and no problems so far.

chonko
03-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm sure we would hear more if this was a frequently occuring problem. Some are concerned about the oil temp gauge reading 240F or even a bit more. But as some have pointed out this has more to do with the fact that 240F is not center on the gauge as it is on European spec models where temps are measured in C and the corresponding value of roughly 115C is in the middle. Nobody knows why BMW chose to put the normal operating temperature at 2/3 of the gauge for the US market and dead center for the Europeans. Anyway, I've had my car for a couple month now and no problems so far.

+1:thumbup: Thanks a million, and like keep saying, it is mythical overheating.

1hot3
03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
:thumbdwn: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37759

jkc_335
03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
:thumbdwn: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=37759

I hope you realize that that thread talks about problems on the 530d which is a turbo diesel. It's not the same engine as in the 335i sold in the US. Whether this engine is going to have durability issues similar to those posted for the 530d is just speculation at this point. Also, without seeing any statistics on how frequent these problems are you can't draw any conclusions anyway. Would I worry about buying a 530d because the turbo blew up on one or two cars - probably not.

Majikthese42
03-12-2007, 04:43 PM
+1:thumbup: Thanks a million, and like keep saying, it is mythical overheating.

If it were real overheating, the engines would melt, and there's been no reported epidemic of melted 335i engines. Or even warped 335i heads and blocks. Even from places where it's already been summer, like Australia and South Africa.

Other turbo car manufacturers (Volvo, Saab, Audi) don't put oil temp gauges in their cars, they only have a coolant temperature gauge. Perhaps this is why.

krash
03-12-2007, 04:51 PM

Agreed. I read all about that. Like you said, high temp readings (which apparently are normal) is VERY DIFFERENT than actually over heating.

Again, there are a lot of 335 owners on Bimmerfest (e90 forums), and there just isn't any evidence to suggest that there are over heating problems with the twin turbo.

One, two or even three reports aren't enough to declare such a problem exists.

I would suggest to the OP to ask the same question on the e90 section of Bimmerfest. Ask the 335 owners directly. See what the response is...