PDA

View Full Version : Decisions...e39 auto fi

warp1g
03-10-2007, 02:19 PM
Hello,

I have been reading quite a bit and am trying to make a decision about what to do with my car. I have a 2003 540ia msport that has ~56k miles on the clock, and I need more power.

I have looked at the vf engineering solution and like the big hp boost and low pressure - my question is that even at 6psi (mild?), am I going to end up tearing up my stock tranny?

Does anyone else have an 03 540ia vf supercharged? Had any daily driver issues?

Thanks,

-wp

firedwg1
03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
I dont know if this helps, but with my E36/7 3.0I Steptronic Z3 it was not a problem. @ 6PSI you are only looking about a 40% gain in power. Stock tranny should not have a problem at this boost but if you wanted to bullet proof the tranny I think there are some companies that offer this service. If I find the link ILL post it for you.

firedwg1
03-20-2007, 05:04 PM
Jackcat559
Crazy Cracker Join Date: Apr 2005
Cars: 2003 530 VF Supercharged, 2004 3.0 Z4

VF Charger & Level 10 Tranny

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About 6 months ago I installed a VF kit into my 140,000 mile automatic 2003 530. There definatly was a great power boost. It seemed though directly in the center of the car there was pressure building. Odd yes but pressure , not strain or anything else. So we replaced the exhaust from the manifold back. VAOLA, 50% of the probelm gone. I thought eventually I would have to get a header set up. With money aside for the header, the "check engine" light came on.

The dealer came back with "torque converter slipping and change fluid" codes.
Being FI guys the service advisor recommended Level 10 out of New Jersey to help with the rebuild http://www.levelten.com/store/feature2.htm .

The company rebuilds auto trannys to "bullet proof" them into what is called a "performance transmission system". They reworked the converter and valve body. Also new BMW fuild and filter were installed. The work done now has the ability to hold approx 450 hp, give or take. ( FYI the guy who did the work is sitting on an M3 with a ready to install S/C)

BMW did the install. It took about a 2 weeks, and the results have been amazing. No more pressure in the center of the car. It now feels more alive than ever. The VF supercharger and the Level 10 auto tranny are a lethal combination. The guys at the dealership after the test drive said " you are going to crush M3s, and give M5s a run for their money".

Last night one very confused M3 owner bit the dust.

Thanks VF and Level 10. Both of you are just AWSOME!!!!!!!!!

Money well spent (Level 10 $1394 with overnight shipping)

54ODell
03-25-2007, 08:52 AM
Hello,

I have been reading quite a bit and am trying to make a decision about what to do with my car. I have a 2003 540ia msport that has ~56k miles on the clock, and I need more power.

I have looked at the vf engineering solution and like the big hp boost and low pressure - my question is that even at 6psi (mild?), am I going to end up tearing up my stock tranny?

Does anyone else have an 03 540ia vf supercharged? Had any daily driver issues?

Thanks,

-wp

your zf 5hp24 tranny is rated at 440 Nm or 325 ft lbs of torque. that's right at the engine's torque rating. there's certainly some safety factor built in, who knows - maybe 20% :dunno: . VF's kit for the 540 states 400 lb ft of torque. i believe what would happen is expedited wear on the tranny mainly from heat generated. the 540iA does have an oil cooler, but it would probably be worth upgrading it. i chose to upgrade the tranny via Level Ten and upgrade my radiator via Zionsville so that oil cooling capacity was increased.

DasUberM52
04-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry to digress, but it seemed appropriate to ask since I am sort of in the same boat.

What I have
--------------
'98 528i 74k miles

What I want to do is fabricate a turbo setup, no more than 6-8psi on stock internals w/ upgraded injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler, fmic and everything else essential for bolt-on/stage 1 d.i.y. kit.

Can turbo manifolds from 3-series M52 (2.8L) fit on 5-series M52's? And secondly, would piggy back systems (i.e. Greddy, S-AFC II/HKS Turbo Timers) work without any conflict?

As you may notice, Deutsch engineering is fairly new to me.

EddieXo
04-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Sorry to digress, but it seemed appropriate to ask since I am sort of in the same boat.

What I have
--------------
'98 528i 74k miles

What I want to do is fabricate a turbo setup, no more than 6-8psi on stock internals w/ upgraded injectors, fuel pump, oil cooler, fmic and everything else essential for bolt-on/stage 1 d.i.y. kit.

Can turbo manifolds from 3-series M52 (2.8L) fit on 5-series M52's? And secondly, would piggy back systems (i.e. Greddy, S-AFC II/HKS Turbo Timers) work without any conflict?

As you may notice, Deutsch engineering is fairly new to me.

That's where I'm thinking of as well, but I'm running at 130k.