PDA

View Full Version : Newbie. just bought a E60

snoops
03-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Hello All

I just picked up a E60 today. Its my first 5 series ever. Car feels huge :)

I have had many 3 series before but I wanted a car that looked good, had presence on the road, could cater for my family needs and was reliable.

My car is Black with BT, Sat nav,leather, servicing till 2009, 17inch 5 spoke rims and has about 22000 miles on a 2004 plate. Its absolutely in Mint condition.

I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the 520i. I understand its the lowest engine they did (Do wish it was the 523 or 525). is it very underpowered? I drove it today and it felt fine. Just a slight lag on moving off. Does anyone know ho I could improve the performance without voiding my warrenty. Do tuning chips work or will they dmaage my car? I'm not into top end speed but a bit more torque would be nice:rofl:

i hear that some peopel have a sport kit on their 545i's. is this the same as the M sport kit? or did they make a subtle one too i.e a little subtle front spoiler and rear spoiler?

At the mo my nokia 6233 wont sync with Bluetooth:mad:

And finally my wife is short about 5'4. Does anyone know if the seat can be mad to go higher? themax it will go is still not as high as in the 3 series.;)

Thanks in advance for all your advice and help.

Snoops

P.S I just cant stop looking at the car from the top floor window:thumbup:

Tanin
03-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Hello All

I have had many 3 series before but I wanted a car that looked good, had presence on the road, could cater for my family needs and was reliable.

My car is Black with BT, Sat nav,leather, servicing till 2009, 17inch 5 spoke rims and has about 22000 miles on a 2004 plate. Its absolutely in Mint condition.

I was wondering if anyone has any experiance with the 520i. I understand its the lowest engine they did (Do wish it was the 523 or 525). is it very underpowered? I drove it today and it felt fine. Just a slight lag on moving off. Does anyone know ho I could improve the performance without voiding my warrenty. Do tuning chips work or will they dmaage my car? I'm not into top end speed but a bit more torque would be nice:rofl:

i hear that some peopel have a sport kit on their 545i's. is this the same as the M sport kit? or did they make a subtle one too i.e a little subtle front spoiler and rear spoiler?

And finally my wife is short about 5'4. Does anyone know if the seat can be mad to go higher? themax it will go is still not as high as in the 3 series.;)

Snoops

I went from a 3 series and picked up my E60 a few weeks ago. Agree.. it does feel huge.

I also felt I couldn't get the seat as high as my E46 until I realized the seat was fine I just wasn't use to all the extra headroom the 5 affords. The E60 has a longer hood and different field of view than the 3. That might be why your wife doesn't feel the seat is high enough. Took me some time to acclimate after 7 years in the E46 but extremely pleased with the vehicle so far.

Performance gains for NA vehicles are extremely $$ and commonly overstated. Id recommend you enjoy the vehicle and if you desire more power in the future trade it for more displacement on your next BMW. Much less expensive in the long run and covered under factory warranty.

Not sure about the front spoiler but the OEM E60 M Rear Lip Spoiler is very understated, IMO looks great and can be purchased for less than $300. Do a search on this board and you can find some pictures.

Welcome to Bimmerfest and enjoy your E60.

NASA43
03-10-2007, 05:41 PM
I went from a 3 series and picked up my E60 a few weeks ago. Agree.. it does feel huge.

I also felt I couldn't get the seat as high as my E46 until I realized the seat was fine I just wasn't use to all the extra headroom the 5 affords. The E60 has a longer hood and different field of view than the 3. That might be why your wife doesn't feel the seat is high enough. Took me some time to acclimate after 7 years in the E46 but extremely pleased with the vehicle so far.

Yep, same here. I feel like I'm not sitting high enough. Feels kind of strange but I'm sure I'll get used to the extra room. :)

ks-man
03-10-2007, 06:29 PM
My fiance is 4'11. Would she have a hard time driving this car based on the seat height, or is it more a perception based on head room?

boblong
03-10-2007, 07:57 PM
My fiance is 4'11. Would she have a hard time driving this car based on the seat height, or is it more a perception based on head room?

Just picked up my '07 in December. It's a manual, and even with the clutch my 5'0 wife has no problems.

jcatral14
03-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Hello All

Snoops

Yes, I know what you mean. I find myself staring at my car too a lot of times :rofl:
Congrats on the 5 :thumbup:

snoops
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
Thank you all.

Took the car out for a few hours. it really is lovely to drive. I actually think the 520i (2.2) has more than enough power for me.

I felt like a made man driving it :) As if I was a ceo of a big company, and the car was a real head turner. I was thinking of getting a sport kit and bigger alloys but I have decided I LOVE THE CAR just the way it is.:rofl:

I got my bluetooth to work. Nokia 6233. And I am able to see my address book, last dialed etc. how do I get voice dialing to work?

I am going to get mini screens put in the back headrest andput a DVD player in the car boot. Does anyone know if I can use the screen at the front to view DVDs too? Also has anyone else done this? Would I be able to access the DVD player from my i drive controller?

Only snaggles are:

1)Cup holders dont go down enough. had a long bottle in their and was worried it would topple over.

2) wifey kept banging my cupholder with her knees.

3) Where all the storage compartments? I had no wear to put my cigs, me and the wifes mobiles, my wallet, and my sunglasses.

I have one under the CD player and one area under the drivers right leg. Any where apart from the glovebox on the passenger side?

Thanks again for all your help.

Snoops

p.s Car at night with the external lights on looks so so lovely :thumbup: