PDA

View Full Version : Fold down seats and safety

ks-man
03-10-2007, 05:49 PM
I was at a dealership today (not BMW) and the dealer told me that by 2010 rear fold down seats will be illegal in the US b/c they aren't safe if you have small children or a child seat in the back. He said in a front end crash the seat could come down and smother the kid.

I've never heard this before but was wondering if it is true before I order the option...or if the dealer was lying with a horrible tactic since his car didn't offer it.

Your thoughts would be appreciated as this is obviously a very concerning statement that he made. Thanks.

chuck92103
03-10-2007, 05:54 PM
This is abolutely rediculous to me. :tsk:

If what you dealer was saying is true, minivans, SUVs, wagons, etc. would not have fold down or removable seats.

Exactly how are the seats going to fold down when locked in place and a safety belt holding the childseat in place? :dunno:

stevepow
03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
My feeling is that a front end crash is not safe - anything else beyond that is going after the symptom, not the disease. But that's how our idiotic laws work sometimes.

I have had the fold down "trunk thru" seats in every BMW I've had except the convertible and they are super handy. Who give a flip about 2010 right now - and I bet that is the ONLY bit of info on a 2010 car he happens to have, no? Most dealers don't even know the details of the 2008 updates. I think he is blowing smoke - get the car in 2007 you want and pass on that dude.

AzNMpower32
03-10-2007, 07:22 PM
That's the biggest load of BS I've heard in a while. I guess all vehicles on the road, with split folding seats are dangerous in a front end collision............right.

I think it's a great and worthwhile option, the split folding seats. Same with the rear-side airbags. Of course, if you have kids, then these should be deactivated.

krash
03-10-2007, 07:46 PM
:rofl:
The stories I hear about dealers are enough to make me want to order a car online...

aficionado
03-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I doubt it.

Lets see, mini vans, suv's, etc all have fold down seats.

Bob Shiftright
03-10-2007, 09:05 PM
I've never heard this before but was wondering if it is true before I order the option...or if the dealer was lying with a horrible tactic since his car didn't offer it.

Not only do minivans, SUVs, station wagons have them... but even Volvos have 'em, and generally standard even on the sedans. I have a Volvo wagon and the front passenger seat folds down horizontal (to carry unusually long items).

http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/2007/2007_XC90/images/pg85.jpg

This is from the XC 90 owner's manual -- so they still offer this as standard equipment!

...and Volvo is obsessively neurotic about safety.

I think this information is so far-fetched that I would be extremely skeptical about anything that this salesman might say. Or the brand of car he's selling in general.

ffej
03-10-2007, 09:22 PM
...and Volvo is obsessively neurotic about safety.

Actually, Volvo is doing a good job living off their reputation of safety. None of their current cars have been proven to be the safest on the road in their class.

Other than that, I agree. This is a load of BS.

My wife and I were once told by a dealer that BMW was "discontinuing the M3, and are coming out with a new M4..."

To which our natural response was "oh, you mean the new Z4 M Coupe?"

*insert car salesman who looks like a deer caught in some headlights* "what?"

Dealers frequently know less about these cars than the people on this board.

ks-man
03-10-2007, 09:40 PM
When I first heard the dealer say it (an Infiniti dealer when I was looking at the M35) I was very skeptical, but the dealer sounded quite knowledgeable and I just couldn't bring myself to believe that a dealer (who I really liked at the time), would stoop so low as completely make something like this up simply b/c Infiniti doesn't offer the fold down seats on the M35. Nonetheless, all the responses here tell me that this is a load of crap and unfortunately mars what was otherwise a good experience from him. Don't dealers realize that feeding misinformation only hurts them in the end? Even if I was planning on getting the M35 I would never work with that dealer again as he shows he can't be trusted. I can't believe he would even go so far as saying it will be illegal in the US in 3 years.

Oh well, my experience today at Infiniti, Audi, Mercedes and Lexus have only further confirmed what I thought I knew before...I want the 535xi! :bigpimp: