PDA

View Full Version : Sirius or HD Radio

ks-man
03-11-2007, 10:46 AM
I don't see the need to get both of these so I'm trying to decide which I want. I'm heavily leaning towards Sirius but wanted to see which people on here preferred. Also a question, I'm getting Nav in my car. To get the real time traffic information do I need satellite radio or is it completely separate? Thanks for the help.

Mac Daddy
03-11-2007, 11:47 AM
Listen to HD radio and decide for yourself. IMO the difference is subtle but palpable, and worth a few hundred bucks.

If you listen to a lot of radio, the variety of Sirius would be nice, though there is an ongoing argument about its sound quality. Again, check it out and see if it bothers you.

For '08 RTTI is included with Nav and is completely independent of Sirius and HD radio. (Before now it was either HD radio or RTTI, not both.) I plan on getting HD radio and not Sirius, but I am probably in the minority.

GolferEngineer
03-11-2007, 12:00 PM
I have both. The Sirius radio reception is inferior to XM. Please be warned of this.

The HD radio is great but the reception distance is less than that of normal radio reception distances meaning you may not always get HD and if you live on the fringes, it may be annoying when it constantly switches back and forth becauyse there will be audio delays.

I really whish BMW would offer XM.

That said, if I had to do it again, I'd choose Sirius over HD because there is much more variety and I don't need to listen to commercials in HD. I still think that the Sirius quality is better than standard FM but there are a lot of folks that think otherwise. Most FM stations compress the music too much.

ks-man
03-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I think I'm more interested in content than audio quality which is why I'm leaning towards Sirius (though I do live in Chicago so I should be able to get a lot of HD stations). I'm also a finance guy so the thought of having CNBC in the car is quite nice. I'd also prefer XM but obviously I can't do much about that...hopefully the merger will go through and then we'll get everything...as long as they don't raise the price.

BTW, how long is the free trial with Sirius through BMW?

GolferEngineer
03-11-2007, 12:41 PM
I think I'm more interested in content than audio quality which is why I'm leaning towards Sirius (though I do live in Chicago so I should be able to get a lot of HD stations). I'm also a finance guy so the thought of having CNBC in the car is quite nice. I'd also prefer XM but obviously I can't do much about that...hopefully the merger will go through and then we'll get everything...as long as they don't raise the price.

BTW, how long is the free trial with Sirius through BMW?

I don't know about free trial but I'm coming up on a year at the end of the month. I haven't received any notice yet - it'll probably just stop working and I'll have to figure out why!

astrohip
03-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Try this thread . . . already beat to death

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152874

SSbear44
03-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Just picked up my car with Sirius and i love it. You can't get hd and still use the traffic control on the navigation, so i did not get the hd radio. Living in the NYC area, i thought the traffic aspect was more important. I also am getting great sirius reception and it is a real clear sound.

Mac Daddy
03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
You can't get hd and still use the traffic control on the navigation, so i did not get the hd radio.

This is no longer true with the 2008 models.

jumpinjoe
03-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I believe you can add sirius afterwards, as it is a dealer installed option. HD radio, I think, must be installed at the factory when you first order the car.