PDA

View Full Version : Anybody regret coming from E to 5 series?

oilbelcher
03-11-2007, 11:51 AM
I am having real trouble deciding between a E-class bluetec diesel or 535i. I know that they are two different animals, I have researched plenty, and have owned previous generations of both. I'd really love the torque and effiency of the bluetec, and like the interior (its just classy to me). And I love the BMW for the pure driving and handling aspect. I also know the two manufactuers have different design/engineering goals. I would like both engines and accelleration performance for different reasons. I know how diesel is very different from gas, and like both. All that said, anybody move from a E class to a 5 series and have regrets? I test drove a bluetec, but only got up to 25mph in very heavy traffic. Haven't tried the E60 yet. I will have to make my decision and purchase from overseas (possibly w/o another test drive), as I am now moving back from Europe to the US. If only BMW had diesels in the US, this would be an easy decision -- I really love my 320td diesel now. Any advise/recomendations?

Ugly Bear
03-11-2007, 12:34 PM
I looked at 320 CDI but I was really scared by MB reliability reports. Besides, exterior design looks very dated.

paulwbenn
03-11-2007, 12:59 PM
My wife and I own an E500 and a 545i. The E500 is a very elegant car, beautiful interior, very comfortable. However, for driving pleasure, the BMW wins hands down in my book. It's more responsive and the handling is far superior to the Merc. If I was buying again tomorrow for myself, I'd go with the 5-series. Although I admit I'm kind of intrigued by the Bluetec diesel.

mgkaplan
03-11-2007, 02:57 PM
I had a 2003 E320. The MB does not hold a candle to the 530i.

Yes the MB is elegant, but the BMW handles much better and is much more reliable.

Also for people who have small children _ Mercedes does NOT have childproof rear door locks on any of its models. BMW has this feature on ALL of its models.

bimmerturn
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I had 2002 E430 4Matic, hands down BMW is a much nicer ride.

Kroozin
03-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I know you're looking for people that have a 5 series to post their opinions but I couldn't hold myself from chiming in on the discussion...

I have a 535i on order (due in mid-April) and I can't WAIT to dump my P.O.S. 2003 E320. It's the worst vehicle (in terms of reliability) I've ever had in my life. I can't tell you how many times the thing has been in the shop for one problem after another. What ever you do, dump that car pronto because as soon as I get something fixed and think it's going to last a couple of months the more I get disappointed. I just seem to dump money in the car for repairs month after month. It's for sale now and I'll probably have a substantial loss but I just don't care - get me outta this thing!

AzNMpower32
03-11-2007, 04:12 PM
You could just wait a couple years when BMW brings some diesels over........

I've never heard anything good about the E-class in terms of reliability (or anything else). The styling is classy, but as far as I can see, they haven't really done anything substantial to update it.

Bassesq
03-11-2007, 04:42 PM
My first BMW (530i) is at VPC and will probably arrive at the dealer this week. I have a little time left on my 2004 E-320, so I'll probably be in the car in early April, if they will eat my last payment on April 10. I thought the BMW drove great on my 2 test drives. The MB interior is classy, IMHO. I'll know more for sure soon enough.

Two problems with the MB that will soon no longer plague me: a) at very slow speeds in a crowded parking lot, the car would sometimes pulse as if the brakes were being erratically applied....the dealer could not duplicate or identify....so they said; b) the ventilation system sometimes hisses and makes a high pitch noise...the dealer has replaced a motor inside that regulates the venting system, but it has reoccured.

I hope that I don't have any sneaky gremlins in my BMW.

ken325i
03-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Picked up my 07 530 in Dec. Wife has an 06 E350 since May 2005. After she drove the 5, her comment was - I like yours better. The E is nice, but the 5 wins.

1) Comfort - 5 wins; multi contour seats the deciding factor; way better than the "drive dynamic" E seats.
2) Ergonomics - 5 wins; iDrive is so easy; dash and controls very clean and simple; have you every tried to program an E; look at all the buttons on the E dash
3) Handling - 5 wins; the E is super -- in a straight line; 5 wins all other
4) Power - E wins; has just a bit more "get up and go"; but, the new 535 will blow it out; have you tested a 335?
5) Reliability - ?? 5 to new to comment; Had a steering valve assy (?) replaced on the E; also had the chrome bumper strips replaced due to paint chipping; otherwise, the E has been great, setting at 29,900 mi.
6) Other Options - 5 wins; bluetooth; E is missing it.

No question, if both were setting side by side, I would choose the 5, especially the 535!:thumbup: