PDA

View Full Version : Damaged my Lower front bumper.

jagu
03-11-2007, 01:55 PM
I was driving on I-285 in Atlanta today and there was a big piece of torn tire from a truck thrown on to my lane and I ran over it. It damaged my lower front spoiler/fascia. I have a $100 comprehensive deductible. What would you guys do? File a claim or pay for it.

I am willing to pay for it if won't cost more than $500, or else I will file a claim.

Has anyone had this kind of damage and how much did it cost? The lower front spoiler on the drivers side near the fog lamp is badly dented.

Sorry I don't have a picture but the damage is like what you'd have if you ran over the curb in a parking spot.

I have had the car only 2 weeks :(

stevepow
03-11-2007, 03:03 PM
I did the same thing with my previous e39 M5. The damage was not even visible after I polished off the scuffing, but underneath the plastic bits where broken. If I recall it was over $500 worth of parts and nothing even needed painting.

You should probably file a claim - why not? I don't think you get dinged for stuff like that - just like a rock cracking your windshield.

jagu
03-11-2007, 03:40 PM
I did the same thing with my previous e39 M5. The damage was not even visible after I polished off the scuffing, but underneath the plastic bits where broken. If I recall it was over $500 worth of parts and nothing even needed painting.

You should probably file a claim - why not? I don't think you get dinged for stuff like that - just like a rock cracking your windshield.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking.

von_zoom
03-11-2007, 06:43 PM
I am afraid you might be suprised at what it will cost to repair. Anything having to do with body damage isn't inexpensive. I spent $700 to have a ding taken out of my previous 545i bumper. I would have it fixed.
vz

jagu
03-11-2007, 07:37 PM
I will have it fixed anyway. I was just trying to figure out whether to pay for it myself or file a claim.

I just called Geico and those clowns said it will be under a collision no fault claim with a $1000 deductible rather than a comprehensive with a $50 deductible(how surprising). My argument was that the tire was flung into my lane by another vehicle and hit my car as it bounced off the road. I did not run into it intentionally or accidentally. They will have some manager call me tomorrow.

Mikebuzzsaw
03-11-2007, 07:42 PM
You can buy a perfect bumper off some people in the classified forums who have switched it out for something else. Dirt cheap. $100 easy.r

fedcaper
03-11-2007, 07:55 PM
I have a 2007 550i, jet black. I am selling front and rear bumpers, and side skirts. Let me know if you are interested.

jagu
03-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Wow, thanks. I'll let you know, depending on what they (geico) says tomorrow. If they adjust it to the comp claim, I'll just let them foot the bill. If not, I'll probably buy yours.

Thanks.

Mac Daddy
03-11-2007, 08:24 PM
I am sorry! What a bummer for your brand new car.

I once pulled too far into a parking space in my 540, and when I backed out the bumper scraped the curb. Barely noticed it at the time, but the bumper had separated completely and needed to be replaced. Cost me $1000 or so.

I feel your pain. Get it fixed and forget about it.

solidbmw
07-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow, thanks. I'll let you know, depending on what they (geico) says tomorrow. If they adjust it to the comp claim, I'll just let them foot the bill. If not, I'll probably buy yours.

Thanks.
Hi Jagu,

Any updates? I'm shopping for auto insurance and somehow Geico has one of the better price but would like to know how your case was handled? Did you bring the car to a BMW authorized repair facility or Geico assigned you one and put generic bumper?

Solid

1hot3
07-09-2007, 06:11 PM
so easy even a cave man can do it.:D

Swift
07-09-2007, 07:47 PM
That sucks. Hopefully Robco does the right thing by you.

GN2
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Some insurance companies consider "inquiries" into their premium analysis. Since you have let them know already you might as well as let the insurance cover it. Even if you pay out of pocket they have a record of it and may consider it in the future. Perhaps if you have another minor incident. Additionally, this information may end up in Carfax or some equivolent. Good luck.

hunterz4
07-09-2007, 10:29 PM
So sorry to hear about the bumper damage on the new car. At least you weren't hurt and it is only the bumper. I always dread that first damage to my new cars - and yes it always happens. Some very minor but there seems to always be something.

jagu
07-10-2007, 10:35 AM
Geico handled it quite well. They first tried to put it on my collision and they eventually put it on uninsured motorist coverage. I had to argue hard with them . The deductible for that was only 250. They rented a nice maxima for me and I took it to a body shop near my office, they used genuine BMW parts. It cost $1115 total. I doubt if it will have any effect on my premium.