PDA

View Full Version : Google SMS to your Car

bklyn550
03-12-2007, 09:43 AM
This looks pretty cool. The BMW nav will be able to accept sms to input info into the navigation system

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/bmw-sends-google-maps-street-addresses-to-cars-gps--system-243458.php

Ågent99
03-13-2007, 01:58 PM
Yes, I did post about this recently.... :)

BMWSTL
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
This looks pretty cool. The BMW nav will be able to accept sms to input info into the navigation system

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/bmw-sends-google-maps-street-addresses-to-cars-gps--system-243458.php

Europe only unfortunately.

Lou

ks-man
04-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Is this confirmed that it will only be on European version?

JSpira
04-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Is this confirmed that it will only be on European version?Ja, I can confirm this will only be available where BMW Online is available. Hence, not in the U.S. for at least 2-3 years.

ChrisDressler
04-12-2007, 05:04 PM
Too bad we won't see it in the US for a while, that's pretty cool. I went to the German Google Maps page, found a location and the "send link" window does look different than the US version and it has a BMW Assist entry box where you can enter the ID for your car... pretty cool! :thumbup:

ks-man
04-12-2007, 05:08 PM
I agree it sounds like a great feature. Oh well, I guess my MY 2011 5 series should have it. Hopefully that one will be able to fly as well though I hate to think how much that option will cost.

Jalli
04-12-2007, 05:11 PM
Ja, I can confirm this will only be available where BMW Online is available. Hence, not in the U.S. for at least 2-3 years.

So, why isn't BMW online available in the US? I can't imagine any technological reason that would hold them back.. from what I can tell it appears to be a cellular based service..

Starab
04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Ja, I can confirm this will only be available where BMW Online is available. Hence, not in the U.S. for at least 2-3 years.

WE (in USA) always get THINGS +(2-3 yrs) late and we are behind in many areas that are basic rights to have. I do not know whether politics or Security or some other reason plays a role here. We are either ahead or lead in other areas that do not benefit the common citizens in general.

JSpira
04-12-2007, 07:32 PM
WE (in USA) always get THINGS +(2-3 yrs) late and we are behind in many areas that are basic rights to have.I think the U.S. had life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness first. What are we 2-3 years late in getting?

JSpira
04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
So, why isn't BMW online available in the US? I can't imagine any technological reason that would hold them back.. from what I can tell it appears to be a cellular based service..According to BMW's product manager for this, it's due to insufficient infrastructure in the U.S. In this, we mean for mobile telephony.

The U.S. was behind in 3G deployments and is catching up now. Also, the U.S. was behind in GSM and is also catching up here.

Starab
04-13-2007, 06:49 AM
[QUOTE=Jspira;2303095]

According to BMW's product manager for this,
1) it's due to insufficient infrastructure in the U.S.
2)The U.S. was behind in 3G deployments and is catching up now.
3)Also, the U.S. was behind in GSM and is also catching up here.

I told Ya, V are always and will be behind in most fields/areas compared to other countries because of some billionaires, greedy, rich lobbies, influential people, selfish Politicians- their fundraisers-their connections and CEOs ........so on.

DavidNY
04-13-2007, 08:53 AM
I told Ya, V are always and will be behind in most fields/areas compared to other countries because of some billionaires, greedy, rich lobbies, influential people, selfish Politicians- their fundraisers-their connections and CEOs ........so on.
Have you considered upping your meds?

Sixondubz
04-15-2007, 03:23 PM
why are we usually last when it comes to things like this?

ChrisDressler
04-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Yeah, it would seem that as all the major US carriers support SMS messaging, why couldn't they enable this via BMW Assist in the states? C'mon BMW!

tjgolden
04-16-2007, 08:00 PM
Europe only unfortunately.

Lou

Does that mean we can use it while in Europe, or is the car not equiped since it will end up in the US?