PDA

View Full Version : Another 535xi thread (though this time vs. 335)

ks-man
03-12-2007, 11:47 AM
So I'm really close to pulling the trigger on a 535xi. Today I went to the dealership and rode both the 530xi and the 335i (so I could experience the twin turbo).

Here is what I noticed and I had a question with it. The 335 had a very stiff gas pedal. I think some people say it is slow or jerky off the line and that is due to the twin turbo, but I think it had more to do with the gas pedal. I had to push down hard on it to give it some gas and then it would jerk. The 530 had a much looser gas pedal. I was driving home in my current car with a naturally aspired engine and noticed that it was slower than the 335 off the line but I eased into the gas so it felt smoother than the 335.

I asked the dealer about the gas pedal of the 335 being much stiffer than the 530 and he said it is a trait of the 3 series that it has a stiff gas pedal. Do people here agree with it? I much preferred the pedal of the 530 and I want to make sure that if I get the 535xi that the engine change won't lead to a stiffer gas pedal. I'd wait for a test drive, but the dealers aren't expecting to get in any 535 to test drive for another 6 weeks.

Thanks for the help.

Ugly Bear
03-12-2007, 02:43 PM
This is exactly what I felt, but I don't think it was b/c of the gas pedal. The jerk was when engine reached 1500rpm and that is exactly when turbo kicks in. There was little torque below 1500rpm. 530 felt slower if I wanted to get to 60mph as fast as possible, but it felt much smoother and pleasant in stop'n'go traffic. Since I don't care about passing someone at 80mph, I ordered 530xi.

krash
03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I test drove a 335 and didn't really notice it being stiff. Quite honestly, I loved everything about it. It felt like the fastest car I have ever driven in my life. But honestly, I haven't driven a 5 Series in a long time.

If I drive them on the same day (like you did), I might notice it as well.

As soon as the 535 comes out, I'll compare the 2.

m123xyz
03-12-2007, 07:12 PM
reading my mind. I was about to do the same test drive. (been there so many times now not sure dealer will let me in unless I give him a deposit at the door)

was curious about handling? I wasn't in love with non sport 335 or 550 but maybe the xi changes it a bit? either way I'm sure xi better than x3.

ks-man
03-12-2007, 07:42 PM
This is exactly what I felt, but I don't think it was b/c of the gas pedal. The jerk was when engine reached 1500rpm and that is exactly when turbo kicks in. There was little torque below 1500rpm. 530 felt slower if I wanted to get to 60mph as fast as possible, but it felt much smoother and pleasant in stop'n'go traffic. Since I don't care about passing someone at 80mph, I ordered 530xi.

I can't speak for what you noticed but I was paying very close attention to the driving experience and it was definitely the pedal. I could tell I would have to push down hard for it to go down at all and then I would quickly take it away. I did ask the dealer about it and he said it has to do with the 3 vs the 5, but I didn't know if he was just telling me what I wanted to hear. When I would try easing my foot into the gas it wouldn't really go down at all and I wouldn't move until I pushed down a bit more. The dealer said though it is something that you get used to and don't even notice, which I do agree with to an extent. I would watch the RPM gage and felt that any time I pushed down the torque would go over 1100 and had plenty of get up.

Ugly Bear
03-12-2007, 11:37 PM
I would watch the RPM gage and felt that any time I pushed down the torque would go over 1100 and had plenty of get up.

Not sure why would pedal in 3 would be stiffer... Anyway, my car is only getting to US in April, so hopefully dealer will have 535 to try.

merklebob
03-13-2007, 08:37 AM
i have both a 650 and 330 and the pedal are the same. we're talking throttle by wire so if it too stiff change the spring. do the test again. i believe the 5 series 535 will be the best car you'll ever drive. just wish they'd put the sport sup in the awd. audi does why not bmw.

Charles
03-13-2007, 09:45 AM
The N52 in the 530 and 330 has Valvetronic, and I don't believe the N54 in the 335 has it. It has a direct injection, and maybe a throttle body? Not sure about the throttle body. This might explain the difference in pedal feel.

chonko
03-13-2007, 09:57 AM
i have both a 650 and 330 and the pedal are the same. we're talking throttle by wire so if it too stiff change the spring. do the test again. i believe the 5 series 535 will be the best car you'll ever drive. just wish they'd put the sport sup in the awd. audi does why not bmw.

The problem with the E60 chassis is that it wasn't designed with the xDrive in mind from the beginning.
I have been told that the F10 chassis will address this.
From what I hear, even the F01 Chassis (7 series) will not come with xDrive.

ks-man
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
The N52 in the 530 and 330 has Valvetronic, and I don't believe the N54 in the 335 has it. It has a direct injection, and maybe a throttle body? Not sure about the throttle body. This might explain the difference in pedal feel.

Interesting...not that I know what any of that means...do you know if the 535 will have Valvetronic or direct injection?

Charles
03-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Interesting...not that I know what any of that means...do you know if the 535 will have Valvetronic or direct injection?
should have the same drivetrain as the 335i with direct injection and no valvetronic. http://www.bmwworld.com/technology/vt_works_tn.jpg
valvetronic.

krash
03-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Not sure why would pedal in 3 would be stiffer...

I'm not sure either...but that probably makes more sense...Remember, if you take away the twin turbos from the 335i, you are still left with the same engine power of the 330/530.

So, whatever you guys are talking about, I seriously doubt it has anything at all to do with turbo lag...

Charles
03-14-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure either...but that probably makes more sense...Remember, if you take away the twin turbos from the 335i, you are still left with the same engine power of the 330/530.

.. I would doubt that. C/R is different, so is the actual displacement. N54 also has cast iron cylinder sleeves, and weighs in 100lbs heavier than the N52. Probably wouldn't move without the turbo's.

Ugly Bear
03-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I would doubt that. C/R is different, so is the actual displacement. N54 also has cast iron cylinder sleeves, and weighs in 100lbs heavier than the N52. Probably wouldn't move without the turbo's.

And I am sure fuel injection, compression and other engine parameters are different. No, I think it is different engine without turbo. At low rpm current 530 feels better than 335.

NJDVLS
03-16-2007, 10:50 AM
I drove the 335 coupe and sedan as well as the 530xi. To keep things in perspective, I currently drive a 330i sedan. I noticed a difference between all three. I felt the 335 had a stiff gas pedal and i guess because of the twin turbo felt the "jerk" when i pressed down too hard. The 335 was definitely stiffer than my 330. The 530 was definitely much smoother. However, this may change with the 535. We will see.

ks-man
03-16-2007, 12:06 PM
All the dealers I spoke to attribute this to the sportier feel of the 3 series vs. the luxury feel of the 5 series. Time will tell

Ugly Bear
03-17-2007, 05:16 PM
I drove the 335 coupe and sedan as well as the 530xi. To keep things in perspective, I currently drive a 330i sedan. I noticed a difference between all three. I felt the 335 had a stiff gas pedal and i guess because of the twin turbo felt the "jerk" when i pressed down too hard. The 335 was definitely stiffer than my 330. The 530 was definitely much smoother. However, this may change with the 535. We will see.

+1

boarder
03-21-2007, 09:11 AM
. do the test again. i believe the 5 series 535 will be the best car you'll ever drive. just wish they'd put the sport sup in the awd. audi does why not bmw.

I agree. I am hoping that by the time I am ready to buy my next 5-Series the Sport Sup and AWD in a the 535 will be available together.

Although the standard sup is pretty sweet.