PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, Decisions

bimmerguy288
03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Hi guys, first, I did a search for the topic but couldn***8217;t really find what I am looking for. I am sorry if this has been covered and thank you for putting up with the following newbie questions. I was all set to buy the new E93 335 convertible but am also considering a MY08 535i or 535xi. I would appreciate your advice in choosing the 535i or 535xi. Here is my situation:

I don***8217;t have a commute and will probably put 7000-8000 miles per year on the car (suburb/highway). I don***8217;t really need to drive the car in snowy or icy conditions as it only snows a couple times a year in Maryland and also this will be my third car. But I do want to be able to drive it in cold/dry weather. I like the 535i with the sports package but am not crazy about having to swap summer/winter tires twice a year. Am I nuts if I were to get a 535i with the stock rims and all season tires or even a 535xi with the stock 17***8221; rims and all season tires to save the hassle? In all my previous vehicle purchases I have never really had to pay much attention to tires.

Right now I am like 60***37; leaning towards a 535i with the sports package and getting a set of winter rims/tires and 40% leaning towards a 535xi with the stock rims and all season tires. There is no urgency to buy one but I like to do some research and plan early. If a 535i and 535xi have the same tires, how will they drive differently in non snow/icy conditions? I saw that the 530xi is a bit faster than the 530i in 0-60. I though two wheel drive is always faster than four wheel drive with the same engine.

BTW, I took my 330 convertible to the dealership this morning for service and they gave me a Z4 loaner. Didn***8217;t like it one bit. The ride is WAYYYYY too stiff for my taste. The worst part, I was returning the Z4 to the dealership, going down hill in a divided road with woods on the side and no side streets, got a ticket for doing 62 in 45 zone. I love cops but sometimes...

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions.

chrischeung
03-12-2007, 01:48 PM
Would a 635i be a nice compromise?

krash
03-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Hi guys, first, I did a search for the topic but couldn***8217;t really find what I am looking for. I am sorry if this has been covered and thank you for putting up with the following newbie questions. I was all set to buy the new E93 335 convertible but am also considering a MY08 535i or 535xi. I would appreciate your advice in choosing the 535i or 535xi. Here is my situation:

I don***8217;t have a commute and will probably put 7000-8000 miles per year on the car (suburb/highway). I don***8217;t really need to drive the car in snowy or icy conditions as it only snows a couple times a year in Maryland and also this will be my third car. But I do want to be able to drive it in cold/dry weather. I like the 535i with the sports package but am not crazy about having to swap summer/winter tires twice a year. Am I nuts if I were to get a 535i with the stock rims and all season tires or even a 535xi with the stock 17***8221; rims and all season tires to save the hassle? In all my previous vehicle purchases I have never really had to pay much attention to tires.

Right now I am like 60***37; leaning towards a 535i with the sports package and getting a set of winter rims/tires and 40***37; leaning towards a 535xi with the stock rims and all season tires. There is no urgency to buy one but I like to do some research and plan early. If a 535i and 535xi have the same tires, how will they drive differently in non snow/icy conditions? I saw that the 530xi is a bit faster than the 530i in 0-60. I though two wheel drive is always faster than four wheel drive with the same engine.

BTW, I took my 330 convertible to the dealership this morning for service and they gave me a Z4 loaner. Didn***8217;t like it one bit. The ride is WAYYYYY too stiff for my taste.

Thank you in advance for any advice and suggestions.

Welcome to my world.

I am pretty much in the process of making the same basic decision. At first, I thought I made up my mind and was getting a 335xi sedan.

Now I think I really want a 535xi or 535i. I really don't want summer tires. Period. So I might be in the same club: 535i without Sport Package.

Also, I really thought for certain I wanted AWD. But now I'm not sure. 355 days a year, there is NO snow or ice on the road...Although, when it does snow, I sure would like AWD.

It might come down to $$$$$$. It sure would be great if BMWUSA.COM was updated so I can explore all the possibilities...

If I can get a fully loaded 535xi for my target price, then great....If not, I'll get a nicely loaded 535i without the sports package and be perfectly happy. Finally, I still haven't ruled out a nicely loaded 335xi or 335i...

By the way...sorry for not helping and possibily adding to the confusion.

bimmerguy288
03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
I looked at the five or six used E60 on the dealer's lot, all of them had 17" wheels and all season tires. Hey, maybe that's why the previous owners sold them!

bimmerguy288
03-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Would a 635i be a nice compromise?

635i? Did you mean 650i? Not that I can't afford it but the main reason I am thinking of getting a sedan instead of another four-seat convertible is that it's not convenient to haul the wife and two kids around in a two-door car. Right now whenever we go out together we drive the wife's Lexus RX330 or the Toyota Sienna. So I do like to have a four door sedan that's easy for the kids to get in and out and not too cramped.

Ugly Bear
03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Get 535i with sport package and change tires to a good all seasons like Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 960, then sell stock tires on eBay.

bimmerguy288
03-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Get 535i with sport package and change tires to a good all seasons like Bridgestone Potenza Pole Position 960, then sell stock tires on eBay.

That came across my mind too. Maybe that's the way to go! Plus I can get the sports auto tranny and the paddle shifter if I order the sports package. With the sports package they give you RFTs AND a spare tire according to the new brochure. I thought if you get RFTs you don't get the spare?

Thanks.

BMWSTL
03-12-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't really need to drive the car in snowy or icy conditions as it only snows a couple times a year in Maryland and also this will be my third car. But I do want to be able to drive it in cold/dry weather. I like the 535i with the sports package but am not crazy about having to swap summer/winter tires twice a year.

If you don't plan on or have to drive the car in snow, but only plan on driving it in dry conditions, why are you worried about buying snows? :confused:

Get the 535i and skip the 535xi's extra weight and fuel mileage penalty you'll have when driving on the dry summer roads.

I've been swapping winter and summer tires for years. It's relatively painless and only takes an initial investment and a bit of time twice a year. No big deal.

Lou

bimmerguy288
03-12-2007, 05:44 PM
If you don't plan on or have to drive the car in snow, but only plan on driving it in dry conditions, why are you worried about buying snows? :confused:

Lou

I have read in various threads that performance tires don't drive well when the weather is below 30 degrees, even on dry roads, due to the nature of their chemical compounds.

krash
03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
I have read in various threads that performance tires don't drive well when the weather is below 30 degrees, even on dry roads, due to the nature of their chemical compounds.

I heard that as well.

Plus, I really don't want to change tires twice a year anyway. WTF! You also have to get decent rims, correct?

Then there is the issue of storage...My garage is already filled, and the basement isn't a good option for me (bad back).

bimmerguy288
03-21-2007, 09:21 AM
After some research, I think I am getting the 2008 535i with sports package that come with MIXED rims and RF tires (same spec. as the 2007 550i***8217;s sports package). However, I want to replace the RFTs with NON run flat all season tires but keep the OEM rims. Here are the spec. for the OEM rims and tires:

Front: rims: 18 x 8.0, tires: 245/40 R18 run flat performance
Rear: rims: 18 x 9.0, tires: 275/35 R18, run flat performance

Here are few noob questions, please chime in.

1.Can I get four identical size all season tires or will I have to get mixed ones same size as the OEM ones?

2. Will the all season tires negate the tire pressure monitors that come with the run flat performance tires?

TIA,

Bimmerguy