PDA

View Full Version : New 535i

jschulman
03-12-2007, 10:11 PM
I am about to purchase a new 535i, and have a few questions on options. I planning the Sport Auto (going to pick up the car in Europe in July so hopefully it will be available), comfort access, fold down rear seats, PDC, navigation, HUD, Logic 7, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, ventilated seats, anthracite header, and black nasca leather (I didn't like the looks of the beige).

All those options are adding up, and even with pick up in Europe, the car is getting expensive. I was thinking of dropping the HUD, Logic 7, and anthracite header. That is a total of about $3000. I live in Las Vegas so I think the ventilated seats are important (and you need the nasca leather to get them). I could drop the ZSP, and just add the comfort seats (though then I wouldn't get the ARS, shadowline trim, and other parts of the ZSP).

I could afford the car with the original options, but I am trying to figure out which options are really necessary, and which options are just nice to have.

Anyone have any ideas?

adrian's bmw
03-12-2007, 10:43 PM
I am about to purchase a new 535i, and have a few questions on options. I planning the Sport Auto (going to pick up the car in Europe in July so hopefully it will be available), comfort access, fold down rear seats, PDC, navigation, HUD, Logic 7, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, ventilated seats, anthracite header, and black nasca leather (I didn't like the looks of the beige).

All those options are adding up, and even with pick up in Europe, the car is getting expensive. I was thinking of dropping the HUD, Logic 7, and anthracite header. That is a total of about $3000. I live in Las Vegas so I think the ventilated seats are important (and you need the nasca leather to get them). I could drop the ZSP, and just add the comfort seats (though then I wouldn't get the ARS, shadowline trim, and other parts of the ZSP).

I could afford the car with the original options, but I am trying to figure out which options are really necessary, and which options are just nice to have.

Anyone have any ideas?

You gotta categorize your must haves and your desires.

If you want shed to options, drop HUD, CWP (the vented seats come with heated seats, too), and even logic 7. That is if you want to keep vented seats/nasca leather. I wouldn't drop sport package nor the header if you're getting black interior. Just my nickel.

Ugly Bear
03-13-2007, 12:22 AM

Anyone have any ideas?

Drop HUD and Nav and buy yourself modern Garmin. Cheaper and better anyway.

jschulman
03-13-2007, 06:09 AM

If you want shed to options, drop HUD, CWP (the vented seats come with heated seats, too), and even logic 7. That is if you want to keep vented seats/nasca leather. I wouldn't drop sport package nor the header if you're getting black interior. Just my nickel.

Thank you.

The only reason why I wanted the CWP was the headlight washers as it doesn't get that cold here in Las Vegas where I need the heated steering wheel that often nor the heated seats. I am getting a black interior so I think I will stay with your recommendation of sticking with the header. I would like to keep the sport package (though the thought of changing tires every 20k-30k isn't that appealing).

The only reason why I am considering dropping options is because I am going to have to finance most of the car at first due to ED, and when the car comes back, I will sell my current car and refinance the loan. I want to make sure that I can still get the loan, and that my payments for the first 2-3 months aren't that painful.

vern
03-13-2007, 07:21 AM
Thank you.

The only reason why I wanted the CWP was the headlight washers as it doesn't get that cold here in Las Vegas where I need the heated steering wheel that often nor the heated seats. I am getting a black interior so I think I will stay with your recommendation of sticking with the header. I would like to keep the sport package (though the thought of changing tires every 20k-30k isn't that appealing).

The only reason why I am considering dropping options is because I am going to have to finance most of the car at first due to ED, and when the car comes back, I will sell my current car and refinance the loan. I want to make sure that I can still get the loan, and that my payments for the first 2-3 months aren't that painful.
My feeling were like yours, just about every time I order a new car. What do I realy need and can afford. And low and behold every time I get the car the same thing happens. Why didn't I or I should have got this or that. If your in doubt get it so you don't have to wonder. The last car I ordered had pretty much all they offered and that I wanted and wound up to be a very happy camper. The only thing that I would have changed were the Sport Seats for Confort Seats if I could. As far as the HUD goes if you ever have it you will never want to be without it. Take your time and make sure its what YOU want. Good luck in what ever you choose.
cheers
vern

jschulman
03-13-2007, 07:39 AM
My feeling were like yours, just about every time I order a new car. What do I realy need and can afford. And low and behold every time I get the car the same thing happens. Why didn't I or I should have got this or that. If your in doubt get it so you don't have to wonder. The last car I ordered had pretty much all they offered and that I wanted and wound up to be a very happy camper. The only thing that I would have changed were the Sport Seats for Confort Seats if I could. As far as the HUD goes if you ever have it you will never want to be without it. Take your time and make sure its what YOU want. Good luck in what ever you choose.
cheers
vern

I know exactly what you mean. The options I chose were the ones that I wanted. I can afford the payment...after a few months due to the fact that I have to trade my current car in after my car returns from Germany. If I wasn't going to finance more for the first few months, I wouldn't even be asking the question. Do I need the HUD? Probably not, but everyone I talked to said that it is a wonderful option (especially with the Nav system). The Logic 7? I don't listen to the radio that much so I probably could drop that (though that will save, $10 a month?). The cold weather package is probably something I don't really need.

I have until June to change options so I might order my original set of options, and then make some changs in the next month or two if I find out that the monthly payment is too high.

Thank you for the advice.

merklebob
03-13-2007, 09:33 AM
i've had the hud and nav in my last two bmws and you'll not miss either[ get the after market nav]. they're nice but not must have idems. you shold consider the active cruise [w stop and go] if your in stop and go traffic. its the one item right behind the sport package in my book. best of luck

Mac Daddy
03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
I was thinking of dropping the HUD, Logic 7, and anthracite header. That is a total of about $3000. I live in Las Vegas so I think the ventilated seats are important (and you need the nasca leather to get them).

My planned options are very similar to yours. I looked at HUD last weekend (on a M6 on the showroom floor only, not driving around), and doubt I will get it. If you do a lot of driving in unfamiliar areas it would be great with the Nav, but this doesn't apply to me. I do plan on getting Nav though, if nothing else as a gadget! :thumbup:

Last summer on a hot day here in Atlanta I sat in a car with Black Nasca/ vented seats, and it was sweet. They are pricey, but I would certainly get those in Vegas.

I would delete ZCW like Adrian said (you get heated seats anyway), and the fold down rear seats unless you have a specific need.

Nav, L7, and CA are all neat, but not absolute must-haves -- depends on personal preference and need.

Which wood trim do you plan with the black interior and Anthracite?

mullman
03-13-2007, 01:47 PM
Drop HUD and Nav and buy yourself modern Garmin. Cheaper and better anyway.

+1

I love the Nav+HUD, but next time I'll just get a portable.
The new Garmins are amazing (esp compared to the handheld models I used 10 yrs ago).

mason
03-13-2007, 02:08 PM
Since we are talking about cost, I suggest you to drop Sports package (up to you on multi-contour seats). Not only the money up front, you also save money on tires replacement. Drop HUD and Logic 7. I would keep the nav. I hate sticking so many things on the dash or windshield. It looks like a taxi.

aficionado
03-13-2007, 03:08 PM
I narrowed it down and this is what I'm thinking for me.

535i
Sport Package
fold down rear seat
leather
vent. seats
Ipod

= 51150 Confidential pricing, US delivery

Add $$ if I need heated seats to get vent. seats.

What more do I need?

Ugly Bear
03-13-2007, 04:29 PM
If you are taking iPod connection, I assume you like to listen to the music. The Logic7 makes sense. Maybe you should stretch to get it.

jschulman
03-13-2007, 09:53 PM
i've had the hud and nav in my last two bmws and you'll not miss either[ get the after market nav]. they're nice but not must have idems. you shold consider the active cruise [w stop and go] if your in stop and go traffic. its the one item right behind the sport package in my book. best of luck

I think people are right, I think I will drop the HUD and ZCW (maybe I could get 502 (headlight washers seperately?). The Nav I think would be nice so I am going to stick with that (and you don't get the entire voice command system without it). I use cruise control rarely in Las Vegas (way too much traffic) so I think I will skip the active cruise control (that is another $2135).

Thanks for your advice.

jschulman
03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
My planned options are very similar to yours. I looked at HUD last weekend (on a M6 on the showroom floor only, not driving around), and doubt I will get it. If you do a lot of driving in unfamiliar areas it would be great with the Nav, but this doesn't apply to me. I do plan on getting Nav though, if nothing else as a gadget! :thumbup:

Last summer on a hot day here in Atlanta I sat in a car with Black Nasca/ vented seats, and it was sweet. They are pricey, but I would certainly get those in Vegas.

I would delete ZCW like Adrian said (you get heated seats anyway), and the fold down rear seats unless you have a specific need.

Nav, L7, and CA are all neat, but not absolute must-haves -- depends on personal preference and need.

Which wood trim do you plan with the black interior and Anthracite?

Thank you for the good advice. I would prefer the the beige Nasca/vented seats, but I recall seeing the seats once before in a 525i, and I did not like the way they looked. Beige is much better in Las Vegas, but it limits the exterior color, and the seat doesn't look good. Maybe someone can post a picture of it. I haven't seen the black vented seats so maybe they look just as bad.

I think the fold down rear seats are useful. You never know when you need to expand the trunk (I have been using them in my 323i).

Nav I will stick with (I like it on my 323i, and the RTTI might be useful if it can get updated quicker as well as get the full range of voice commands). CA I would like to keep as well as L7 but I might have to sacrifice that.

I was looking at the Dark Bamboo wood. Platinum silver with black leather, anthracite headliner, and dark bamboo wood. It might be a little too dark in the car. I don't think the light wood and standard headliner would look as nice as the anthracite and bamboo.

jschulman
03-13-2007, 10:06 PM
Since we are talking about cost, I suggest you to drop Sports package (up to you on multi-contour seats). Not only the money up front, you also save money on tires replacement. Drop HUD and Logic 7. I would keep the nav. I hate sticking so many things on the dash or windshield. It looks like a taxi.

You are right about the tire replacement. Are the standard 17" tires run flats or regular tires with a temp spare in the trunk? I have 16" all season's now and those are fine. Changing those 18" tires every 20-30k would get expensive. I may not even have to do anything about the multi-contour seats as I am getting vented seats which are the same I believe. I would like sports package, but perhaps I can do without it. I did figure out that if I dropped ZCW, ZSP, and HUD that I would save over $4200. I agree with you on the nav system, that is definately staying (helpful when I pick up the car in Europe, but also get all the voice commands). I could drop the L7 to save another $1100. I do have another month or two to think about that one

Thanks. I knew I made a right decision in posting this question here.

coolynice
03-14-2007, 10:22 AM
If you're crazy about music pls get the L7 or you will regret it when you hear it in another bimmer.

merklebob
03-14-2007, 11:23 AM
i'd bag the heatlite washers. i really dont think they work. go for the logic 7.

MikeTerp
03-16-2007, 07:50 PM
BMW does NOT offer ventilated seats as an option on the 08 models without spending upteen K more for ridiculous options that few want. ALL their competitors do without such drama. SHAME on BMW.

AzNMpower32
03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Lose the cold weather first, then HUD. Trust me, you'll get tired of headlamp washers and the excess washer fluid they use. Keep sport pack for sure though. My 2 cents.

jschulman
03-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Lose the cold weather first, then HUD. Trust me, you'll get tired of headlamp washers and the excess washer fluid they use. Keep sport pack for sure though. My 2 cents.

So far I deleted cold weather, HUD, and sport package. I then changed colors from platinum silver to platinum bronze, and from black nasca leather to beige leather. I am hoping the pictures of the 545i with the beige leather is what comes with the car, and not the yellow ones I saw on a 525i last month. When I did that, I deleted the antracite headliner.

I suspect I will add the Ipod adapter (don't have one yet, but I probably will in the future), and probably the sport package. I plan on keeping a list of changes, and just emailing Irv once or twice a month with the changes. Don't want to drive him too crazy. :) I may also add satellite radio, but I am still up in the air on that one.

aficionado
03-17-2007, 01:57 AM
So far I deleted cold weather, HUD, and sport package. I then changed colors from platinum silver to platinum bronze, and from black nasca leather to beige leather. I am hoping the pictures of the 545i with the beige leather is what comes with the car, and not the yellow ones I saw on a 525i last month. When I did that, I deleted the antracite headliner.

I suspect I will add the Ipod adapter (don't have one yet, but I probably will in the future), and probably the sport package. I plan on keeping a list of changes, and just emailing Irv once or twice a month with the changes. Don't want to drive him too crazy. :) I may also add satellite radio, but I am still up in the air on that one.

I bought the sirus radio for my current car. It's OK. If you spend a lot of time on the road it might be good. When my subscription runs out I will not renew.

I'm thinking of getting the Ipod adapter. I also do not have an Ipod, but I'm thinking it would be like not getting a CD player or a tape player, back in the day.

Nav. currently saying no. First, I really don't think I need it. Second, I can buy a mobile one if needed, third, they are only going to get better and cheaper. In a couple years you'll probably be able to get a top of the line model for $100 and it will blow away any that are in the cars. JMHO.

I'm trying to concentrate on what will make me more confortable and what will enhance the cars ability. This is why I'm thinking vent. seats and sports package. If I wasn't in AZ, I wouldn't consider the vent. seats. These are things that will make for a more comfortable ride and a better handling car, not to mention better looking with the beafy tires.

NASA43
03-17-2007, 09:03 AM

Absolutely DON'T drop Sport pkg and the Anthracite Headliner looks fantastic with the black leather.

jschulman
03-17-2007, 10:26 AM
I bought the sirus radio for my current car. It's OK. If you spend a lot of time on the road it might be good. When my subscription runs out I will not renew.

I'm thinking of getting the Ipod adapter. I also do not have an Ipod, but I'm thinking it would be like not getting a CD player or a tape player, back in the day.

Nav. currently saying no. First, I really don't think I need it. Second, I can buy a mobile one if needed, third, they are only going to get better and cheaper. In a couple years you'll probably be able to get a top of the line model for $100 and it will blow away any that are in the cars. JMHO.

I'm trying to concentrate on what will make me more confortable and what will enhance the cars ability. This is why I'm thinking vent. seats and sports package. If I wasn't in AZ, I wouldn't consider the vent. seats. These are things that will make for a more comfortable ride and a better handling car, not to mention better looking with the beafy tires.

I don't spend a lot of time on the road (only have about a 45 minute commute due to traffic) so that was why I didn't order satellite to begin with a few days ago. I still have time to decide. I might get an IPOD for my trip to Germany (I plan on doing ED) so it will give me something to listen to while driving around Europe (assuming the IPOD cable is available at the delivery center, so far no one seems to know).

I agree with you about the vent seats. When I lived in NY and MD, I would have saved the money. But it gets up to 115 in Las Vegas during the summer (and is routinely in the 100s) so I think it is a worthwhile option.

jschulman
03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Absolutely DON'T drop Sport pkg and the Anthracite Headliner looks fantastic with the black leather.

I did drop the sport package, but I do have to add it back because I ordered 2TB (sport transmission) which requires it. The original order went in without ZSP so I hope BMW won't reject it because of that. I switched from black leather to beige leather. If I switch back to black, I would get the anthracite headliner.

NASA43
03-17-2007, 02:51 PM
I did drop the sport package, but I do have to add it back because I ordered 2TB (sport transmission) which requires it. The original order went in without ZSP so I hope BMW won't reject it because of that. I switched from black leather to beige leather. If I switch back to black, I would get the anthracite headliner.

The Sport package adds so much to the look of the car in addition to the obvious handling improvements. The 5 series really needs the larger, lower profile tires to fill the fender wells. At least, in my opinion. :)

jschulman
03-17-2007, 03:21 PM
The Sport package adds so much to the look of the car in addition to the obvious handling improvements. The 5 series really needs the larger, lower profile tires to fill the fender wells. At least, in my opinion. :)

I have only test driven a 530i, but that had the sport package. Couldn't go around corners real quick, but I do like the way it looks. Just replacing those tires every 20k to 30k gets me a little annoyed.

Right now I am up to the sport automatic, CA, power rear sunshade, fold down rear seats, bamboo wood, PDC, Nav, premiumm ZPP, ZSP, and ventilated seats. I may add 6FL and satellite radio later. Now if I can only choose between platinum silver and bronze...

I promised Irv I won't email him constant changes, maybe just once or twice a month (and I bet I will probably end up back with the same options I originally ordered :) )

vern
03-17-2007, 05:26 PM
I have only test driven a 530i, but that had the sport package. Couldn't go around corners real quick, but I do like the way it looks. Just replacing those tires every 20k to 30k gets me a little annoyed.

Right now I am up to the sport automatic, CA, power rear sunshade, fold down rear seats, bamboo wood, PDC, Nav, premiumm ZPP, ZSP, and ventilated seats. I may add 6FL and satellite radio later. Now if I can only choose between platinum silver and bronze...

I promised Irv I won't email him constant changes, maybe just once or twice a month (and I bet I will probably end up back with the same options I originally ordered :) )
You will defiantly be glad you put NAV back on your list, IMO VC is great, doing ED it will make your trip that much more enjoyable. Yea I know some people will say there are many good maps that are easy to read and thats all well and good if your want to stick your head in a map rather than see the beautiful scenery. Good luck in whatever you choose, I know you will enjoy.
cheers
vern

jschulman
03-17-2007, 05:33 PM
You will defiantly be glad you put NAV back on your list, IMO VC is great, doing ED it will make your trip that much more enjoyable. Yea I know some people will say there are many good maps that are easy to read and thats all well and good if your want to stick your head in a map rather than see the beautiful scenery. Good luck in whatever you choose, I know you will enjoy.
cheers
vern

I never deleted the Nav though some people suggested I should. I like it in my 1999 323i, and I plan to get it on the 535i. The nav is useful, though in Las Vegas the roads change so often it takes a year for Navteq to catch up. Hopefully the RTTI will work well here, and I am looking forward to VC. I think I will still drop the HUD though. Nice option, but I can use that $1010 on another option.

Jonathan

NASA43
03-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Do you mean Platinum Gray or Titanium Silver?

jschulman
03-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Do you mean Platinum Gray or Titanium Silver?

Platinum gray.

NASA43
03-18-2007, 08:18 AM
Platinum gray.

I think that is the replacement color for Titanium Gray, e.g., the darker gray. At least from some on-line pictures, it appears to be. I have the Titanium Gray and it looks great on the 5 series.

jschulman
03-18-2007, 12:28 PM
I think that is the replacement color for Titanium Gray, e.g., the darker gray. At least from some on-line pictures, it appears to be. I have the Titanium Gray and it looks great on the 5 series.

I believe you are correct about platinum gray as a replacement for titanium gray. I probably would have chose titanium gray if I got a 2007, but since it was dropped for 2008, I have to find something else. The one thing about platinum gray is that I would have to go with black leather. That might not be a big issue as I may switch back to black leather (I have concerns over the beige Nasca leather, and my current beige 323i has scuff marks on the floor board where my feet hit it on the way out of the car).

I want June production so I ordered the sport automatic (which I do want) and the platinum bronze (which I may change). I still have until the middle to end of May to finalize plans. I suspect I will be going to one of the local dealers sometime next month to scout out the platinum gray color to see how I like it.

sph17
03-18-2007, 02:59 PM
I have a Titanium Gray E39, and I love my Gray interior.

It does show dirt, but I was so glad I fould a car with the Gray.

jschulman
03-18-2007, 05:09 PM
I have a Titanium Gray E39, and I love my Gray interior.

It does show dirt, but I was so glad I fould a car with the Gray.

Since I am getting ventilated seats, my only option is beige or black. Gray would have been nice, but that color is only offered on the 7 series.

I know have three color choices: Platinum Bronze with Beige, Platinum Bronze with Black, and Platinum Gray with black. Touch choice, but I will have to see each color in person, and then make a decision by May.

WilyB
03-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Get the PROcede computer: your 535i will fly past 550s!

M550
03-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Since I am getting ventilated seats, my only option is beige or black. Gray would have been nice, but that color is only offered on the 7 series.

I know have three color choices: Platinum Bronze with Beige, Platinum Bronze with Black, and Platinum Gray with black. Touch choice, but I will have to see each color in person, and then make a decision by May.

I've driven in Vegas, but not every day as you do. Still, I don't understand why you must have a ventilated seat. What does ven. seat give you that air conditioning doesn't?

exis350
03-19-2007, 03:07 AM
I've driven in Vegas, but not every day as you do. Still, I don't understand why you must have a ventilated seat. What does ven. seat give you that air conditioning doesn't?

Regular A/C can't give you airflow from directly beneath/below you. It doesn't matter how cold it's blowing at your front side, you'll still get sweat with a leather surface against skin, or where your skin can't breathe (which is the case for the vast majority of people, as the small of their back and butt are pressed against the seat).

I just came from a lexus that had ventilated seats. I'm in Seattle where it doesn't get too hot, but I loved them on the warmer days.