PDA

View Full Version : Pls Advice

coolynice
03-13-2007, 12:05 PM
I have an 06/530I with 19k miles which was involve in a minor accident few weeks ago. The front passenger wheel hit a side curb on an exit so hard that the wheel cracked, in the mist of this all wheels were dented. My insurance replaced all 4 wheels and some damages done to the struct and wheel bearing. Since the car returned from the bmw body shop it just does not drive the same. I took it back for further adjustment but it feel like there is something bent somewhere. At this time am starting think that I should sell it and get another but I don't know how much of the 53k price tag I will be getting back. I loved the car which is loaded with sports package, cold package/ w rear heated seats, premium package, Logic 7, rear sunshade and best of all manual on silver gray metalic. \

What would you do?

ghbmd
03-13-2007, 12:53 PM
This is tough. Do you actually own the car, or is it leased? If you own it, you are likely going to take a hit if you try and sell it. Anyone buying the car will ask about accidents. You could lie, but if the accident was reported to the authorities or insurance, it will be documented and a good mechanic or body shop guy should be able to see that there was damage and repair work. Now if you leased the car, I would suggest just roughing it until the end of the lease. When you turn the car in, BMWFS has to take it back if it is in repaired condition. That should not cost you anything at all.

I had a similar experience with my first car- a 2002 Audi A4 2.8Q. About 2 years into my 3 year lease I got into an accident that required about $4000 worth of repairs. The car still ran and looked great after all repairs. I tried to get out of the lease a little early as I needed a bigger car. The dealers automatically offered me close to $8000 less than blue book value because of the accident, and private buyers were not much better. I kept the car rather than taking such a hit and turned it in at end of lease with no problems. I think this is one of the least talked about advantages to leasing vs buying. (On another note, my sister-in-law got in a major accident with 2-month-old Subaru Outback. The insurance company chose to spend close to $18,000 on repairs rather than replace the car which cost over $30,000 new. Now because she owns this car and didn't lease, she feels like she is stuck with it until it dies, as its trade-in or re-sale value is seriously compromised.)

Be sure that all your repair work is done at a reputable shop, preferably one recommended by your BMW dealer. See what your dealer might give you for the car if you get another BMW. That may be your best bet.

coolynice
03-13-2007, 01:56 PM
Thanks for your advice. This car is completely paid off and I have the title, the repair work were done on the wheel and not any part of the body.

dk
03-14-2007, 08:48 PM
My guess is that it would be cheaper to find another repair place to get the suspension fixed than it would be to take the hit and purchase a new one. If the car was older or you wanted something else anyway then that might be a different story.

coolynice
03-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Thanks for your advice DK, I have also thought about that which I will do before I make my final decision, but if I can get 46K for my 530 I may let it go since I have 19,000 miles on it and just got a rock hit the windshield and have to replace it.