PDA

View Full Version : 550i - Got Production Number!

Mac Daddy
03-13-2007, 05:43 PM
Adrian called me today. I am excited! :clap:

Thanks immensely to everyone here for helping me with this process. The information on this board is amazing.

550i, 6 speed manual trans. April assignment for May build, pickup in Munich June 1.

Have a couple of weeks to finalize options. Ordered as Space Gray, Black Nasca, but I will change to either Carbon Black or Platinum Gray. Right now leaning towards CB. Thoughts?

Other options: ZSP, ventilated seats, Comfort Access, Logic7, Nav, anthracite headliner, iPod, HD radio.

Not planning on HUD or Sirius as I don't think I would use them that much.

Countdown begins!

FyteOn
03-13-2007, 08:26 PM
Congrats! I passed on CA and got HUD and Sirius. The HUD I've seen is phenomenal. As for the color, that's a personal decision and how much time you to spend cleaning it...

M550
03-13-2007, 11:03 PM
550i, 6 speed manual trans. April assignment for May build, pickup in Munich June 1.

Have a couple of weeks to finalize options. Ordered as Space Gray, Black Nasca, but I will change to either Carbon Black or Platinum Gray. Right now leaning towards CB. Thoughts?

Other options: ZSP, ventilated seats, Comfort Access, Logic7, Nav, anthracite headliner, iPod, HD radio.

Not planning on HUD or Sirius as I don't think I would use them that much.

Countdown begins!

Congratulations! :thumbup:

I started off with CB but changed to PGrey. Hard to keep it clean in black color and E60 doesn't look good, to me, in black, actually in any color. The taillights and headlights just look stupid to me. I think E60 looks the worst among all the new bimmers. But that's a whole different discussion.

I would recommend HUD, it is really cool, especially you have Nav. Comparably, CA costs almost the same but is useless. I ordered iPod, not sure why since I don't own any iPod and not interested in any either, but wife said get it, so I said "yes" :D . Not ordered HD radio or Sirius since on daily drives I mostly listen to AM radios or turn the radio off completely. On long drives I insert my own CD collections.

Mac Daddy
03-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Congrats! I passed on CA and got HUD and Sirius. The HUD I've seen is phenomenal. As for the color, that's a personal decision and how much time you to spend cleaning it...

Know what you mean. I would like to think I'll wash it once a week, but reality with 3 small kids might prove otherwise. My Jet Black 540 is less than showroom clean from time to time... :)

Mac Daddy
03-14-2007, 06:24 AM
Congratulations! :thumbup:

I started off with CB but changed to PGrey. Hard to keep it clean in black color and E60 doesn't look good, to me, in black, actually in any color. The taillights and headlights just look stupid to me. I think E60 looks the worst among all the new bimmers. But that's a whole different discussion.

I would recommend HUD, it is really cool, especially you have Nav. Comparably, CA costs almost the same but is useless. I ordered iPod, not sure why since I don't own any iPod and not interested in any either, but wife said get it, so I said "yes" :D . Not ordered HD radio or Sirius since on daily drives I mostly listen to AM radios or turn the radio off completely. On long drives I insert my own CD collections.

I wish I could see the 550ZSP Carbon Black in person, but that won't be possible before mine goes into production. Not knowing exactly what to expect will add to the excitement of pickup day in Munich! :D

The concept of CA seems really slick to me, but maybe the implementation will fall short. :dunno:

Looks like you are the first bimmerfester to get a 08 550 ED. :thumbup: I am looking forward to some pictures! Maybe your pics will help me decide about the Plat Gray...

M550
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM
Looks like you are the first bimmerfester to get a 08 550 ED. :thumbup: I am looking forward to some pictures! Maybe your pics will help me decide about the Plat Gray...

Will do!

I got the VIN today. Looks like we are set to go to Germany next month.

After seeing the new MY08 E60 brochure, I have one disappointment with the 550i ZSP. I wish the brakes would be M5 brakes, not the same brakes with 535i. I am willing to pay for that option if offered. It's money I am willing to hand to them, I don't know why BMW doesn't want it.:mad: I don't plan to upgrade it with a $5000 aftermarket brake kits. Never really understood why anyone would purchase a brand new car and immediately throw away the brakes and/or tires for upgrades. Why not get the next level up to begin with? :eek: :eek:

Anyway, can't wait till April!

Tanin
03-14-2007, 11:06 PM
The concept of CA seems really slick to me, but maybe the implementation will fall short. :dunno:

I too ordered because it seemed "slick" and after a few weeks with of use I will never go back if given the choice on a vehicle. Regardless of the $ and fact it should be a no cost option I would order and pay for it again without question.

100% self-indulgent and inconsequential option......but so is the 4.8 liter :angel:

jcflys
03-15-2007, 02:42 AM
Mac when did you actually order? I am going on nearly two weeks with no word for production. I wanted my car before summer.

Thanks

caveatesq
03-15-2007, 06:05 AM
Get Carbon Black. It is an awesome color and since its exclusive to the 550 sport package, you won't see yourself coming and going.

Mac Daddy
03-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Mac when did you actually order? I am going on nearly two weeks with no word for production. I wanted my car before summer.

Thanks

My "pre-reservation request", which I guess is equivalent to an order, was sent in Feb 19, so it took well over 3 weeks to hear anything. I was a little nervous last week with all of these ED dates being full! I don't know if that was due to ED office or production itself, but I bet it was ED office.

Are you doing ED? If not I bet you will have it by June no problem :dunno:

Mac Daddy
03-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Thanks for the responses guys. I am sticking with CA and Carbon Black for now...

M550, that is a really good point about the brakes. Seems like they are trying to differentiate the 550 from the 535 since their engines are so much closer -- the aero kit, tailpipes, even suspension. Why not the brakes? Seems like it would be easy enough.

Maybe they are afraid they will canabalize the M5?