PDA

View Full Version : Looking to migrate from a 2003 MB E500 to a 06 or 07 550i.

Randy B12
03-14-2007, 01:29 PM
What should I look out for on these model years?

I was planning on finding a steptronic, sport pkg, nav, cold weather pkg and possibly a HUD unit car.

The MB has wore me out and I need to try something else.

I have already test driven this type of car and do enjoy and notice the differences and complexities. What I am looking for from you is common problems and or items to check prior to purchase.

Thanks in advance,

Randy B

quackbury
03-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Get a new car (you should be able to find '07 demos at any dealer near you) rather than a used car. Having come from a string of MB's myself, you will really appreciate having all the maintenance covered for the first 48,000 miles. Plus the lease deal on a new '07 is impossible to beat.

The E60's are so good that it's really unusual for anyone to bail out of one in the first year. If you find a used '06 or '07, it is likely a *****back car (read LEMON). If you really must have a used car for some perverse reason, spend a lot of time on this board and familiarize yourself with some of the more common complaints. Some folks ont he board have had their E60's bought back by BMWUSA; I would insist on a complete vehicle history from the dealer.

Also, steer clear of any E60 that has been in an accident. The aluminum structure is reportedly almost impossible to repair properly.

But really, you will be much happiier buying new rather than used.

Randy B12
03-17-2007, 07:16 AM
Get a new car (you should be able to find '07 demos at any dealer near you) rather than a used car. Having come from a string of MB's myself, you will really appreciate having all the maintenance covered for the first 48,000 miles. Plus the lease deal on a new '07 is impossible to beat.

The E60's are so good that it's really unusual for anyone to bail out of one in the first year. If you find a used '06 or '07, it is likely a *****back car (read LEMON). If you really must have a used car for some perverse reason, spend a lot of time on this board and familiarize yourself with some of the more common complaints. Some folks ont he board have had their E60's bought back by BMWUSA; I would insist on a complete vehicle history from the dealer.

Also, steer clear of any E60 that has been in an accident. The aluminum structure is reportedly almost impossible to repair properly.

But really, you will be much happiier buying new rather than used.

Thanks for the response. I posted this about a five days ago, and I am really disappointed I have only received one response. I have been on MBWorld.org for years, and they are a bit more vocal when a questions like this comes up. I expected similar results here. I have been through the search bar of this forum and have read post on upon post of individual complaints and problems. However, a concise watch out for this or that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy B

quackbury
03-17-2007, 08:50 AM
Many / most of the problems are software related (steering position sensor, gremlins with active steering, Sirius reception, etc.) As far as I know there are no major mechanical issues with the E60 (unlike its predecessor the E39 which had bad radiator hoses, sqeaky door seals, flimsy door handles, etc.) Except for a couple of software upgrades, my 550 has been dead-nuts reliable for 15,000 miles.

Sometimes, no news really IS good news!

quackbury
03-17-2007, 08:52 AM
PS if you buy a demo or a CPO, make sure you have the dealer tell you which software version ("progman") is on the car. If it is an older version, have them update it before you take delivery.

okiemark
03-17-2007, 10:20 AM
I have owned MB C class and E Class and SL, albeit all 1995 models and earlier (which I am sure makes a difference), but a BMW 550 with sport package is so far superior in driveability than any MB I have ever been in, it isn't funny. I bought my '05 545i new and have had only the tires wearing out quickly (because the thing is such a beast). I doubt there has been any change in this problem with a sport package and active steering options, although the OE was Dunlop Run Flats. Search the forum for something like "06 BMW 550 problem" and see what you get. Also there are programs to examine your VIN here, so search "VIN history" or similar.

Emission
03-17-2007, 10:32 AM
Lease new. BMWFS has some great rates right now.

Randy B12
03-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Lease new. BMWFS has some great rates right now.

While I appreciate this thought, they really aren't offering anything great on 550i's. The 525's and 530's whether X's or not, I fully agree they with your statement on. The 550's however are not such great rates compared to what I have found in a used market for an 06' or 07'. I have access to verify the previous status regarding *****backs, so I am pretty confident in what I will buy or not.

Thanks for the comments thus far. I was not aware of the software issues with the I-drive, only with the pre-mature tire wear issue on the run flats.

Randy B

doug_999
03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
www.e60.net often has more traffic for the 5-series. Try your question there.

As mentioned, all of the cars made between Sept 05 and April 06 (I think, going off memory here) have a bad steering angle sensor. The dealer can repair it and will even if you have not had an issue (the issue that comes up varies - but the car is usually still drivable).

The 06 and 07 really don't have the issues the 04 and 05 had. Most of the 06 and 07 models have the new Bridgestone Run Flats and most of us have not seen the issues with tire wear that the Dunlop folks have had. Rumor has it however that some 07s came with Dunlops.

The RunFlats ride like a rock. There are lots of pros to these tires (you can't get left out on the highway with a flat and they handle better in the dry) - but there are lots of disadvantages as well (ride quality, expensive to replace, and worse in the rain). Those who have switched to a non-run flat are very very happy. Note that the car DOES come with a spare.

The 07s had a couple of nice features added - do a search for all of them. One of them is the integrated traffic system in the NAV (routes you based on current traffic) as well as the HD Radio option. However the HD radio option negates the integrated traffic feature :(

HUD cars are rare - they normally are custom ordered - most of the dealer ordered cars will have sport, NAV, Logic 7 radio and Coldweather package. People who have the HUD love it however.

The 06 550 had a 6-disc CD changer that was part of the L7 (Logic 7 radio upgrade). The 07 did not (you could still order the CD changer). The CD Changer however is completely worthless as it is so far back in the glove box you will never find it. Plus you will immediately yank it to put in the iPOD interface and it ROCKS.

If you go for a 06, do your best to get Comfort Seats rather than Sport Seats. They were a $1,200 option on the 06 and are also rare. They are standard on the 07 sport package. Also the 07s come with 4 years of BMW Assist (our Onstar) - the 06s had only one year. I've attached a picture of the Comfort Seats so you have a reference point.

The 07s also got a different steering wheel - I think it might be thicker as well. The 06s were only made from Aug 05 through Feb 06 - they are rare.

The manual transmission cars do not hold there value as well (at least here in the Midwest) - you can get a better deal on them.

In short, I love this car - I have never owned anything like it. Worth every penny if you ask me.