PDA

View Full Version : New HD Radio in X3? Pics?

MMME30W
03-14-2007, 10:11 PM
Hi, I guess I missed the memo, but tonight I heard a Bimmer radio commercial for the new HD radio...So sure enough, I went to the web site tonight to see what it would cost to order one on an X3 (*cough* hypothetically of course :D ) -- $500.

Unfortunately they don't seem to have any pictures or additional details on how this works or how you operate it...does anyone have a picture or some info on this?

Sorry if an :aty: I did a quick search but probably overlooked it...

Evlengr
03-16-2007, 02:30 PM
You didn't hear this from me.. but don't bother. HD is a waste of time and money (btw I am an engineer for several radio stations.

There are too many technical reasons ( example: we have to dumb down the sound quality to analog due to the "blending" effect) and program directors really don't care so they won't put in the effort needed for diverse program material.

It will be dead faster than you can say Beta v. VHS.

Wi-Max if handled correctly will surpass everyone's expectations and more.

philippek@IrvineBMW
03-16-2007, 03:03 PM
It's fairly transparent technology. The radio determines if the station is broadcasting in HD, and if so, it picks up that signal. You can turn it off if you want, and listen to the regular analog signal.

I personally like it. The sound quality is vastly superior to Satellite Radio and it does approach CD quality. The most dramatic improvement I noted is in the AM band.

As another posted noted, it's not entirely debugged. I have noticed that all HD is not created equal. While most stations sound better, there is one station in particular that sounds decidedly worse, very metallic and tinny.

Evlengr
03-16-2007, 03:16 PM
Not to contradict you Philippe but HD is not what it is supposed to be. As an engineer of radio with 20+ years experience and having personally set up over 10 stations with HD setups its just not there. The processing and bandwidth fidelty is not what a good analog setup can use.

The whole premise behind HD is not really better sound quality more the allocation of bandwidth for data use.

Also, AM stations cannot broadcast in HD after sunset and prior to sunrise due to federal power reduction requirements. This along with other technical issues is precluding a huge proportion of AM stations from going HD.

And it is not transparent technology since there is a 7.8 second buffering of audio between conventional (analog) and digital radio which when out of range cause a 'blending effect" where the radio has to compensate and go back to an analog signal.

Let me put it this way. Anyone remember AM Stereo? "Nuff said.

Spend your money on a good CD Changer if you want good sound and multiple selections.

MMME30W
03-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Thanks guys...appreciate the info.

jdeday
03-17-2007, 01:09 AM
Interesting the Sirius radio option has been removed and replaced with HD radio? Is the X3 still prewired for Sirius?

Evlengr
03-17-2007, 01:51 AM
Yes the 2007 X3 is still pre-wired, btw you can use XM if you prefer just a different decoder and they may not matter in 6 months if Mel K gets his way.