PDA

View Full Version : How good is this 550 deal?

Navybusa
03-15-2007, 02:10 PM
I thought I was set on ordering a 535, until I saw the 08 550. I love the looks with the sport package. This will be my first BMW and I will be purchasing through a military sales program. I still like the 535, but the deal killer is no manual transmission available until the September production. I leave Italy in September and will no longer be able to get the military discount. I can get the 550 with 6 MT,sport package, logic 7 and rear airbags for 58035. I'm not a gadget guy, so the NAV, HUD and heads-up display are wasted on me. Is this a great deal on a 550, or could I get a similar deal if I do ED. Thanks.

shabbaman
03-15-2007, 02:51 PM
You can get a better deal if you do ED, however, you would have to fly back to Germany to do it (after you come back stateside). It would only be worth your while to do ED under one of the 2 conditions:

1) You really would rather get the 535 and the savings associated with it and don't mind waiting until September to place your order for it.

2) You are willing to wait until March 16th 2008 to ED your car (hint, hint). That way, you can become a BMWCCA member and get an additional $1000 off the price of your 5 Series.

Otherwise, if you want a manual tranny 5 Series now and want to take advantage of your position overseas, you have no other choice but to do as you originally suggested.

Navybusa
03-16-2007, 12:52 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a question on the ED if I decide to wait until I get back to the states and order. Is the ship home fee included in the ED price? If you take ED delivery do you have to pay any import duty? I found the wholesale price list in another post and the price offered by the military sales is 51850, which is 1795 over ED invoice. If I decide on the 550, I'll buy it while I'm here so I can first register in in Italy, which will prevent me from having to pay sales tax back in the states.

shabbaman
03-16-2007, 04:50 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a question on the ED if I decide to wait until I get back to the states and order. Is the ship home fee included in the ED price? If you take ED delivery do you have to pay any import duty? I found the wholesale price list in another post and the price offered by the military sales is 51850, which is 1795 over ED invoice. If I decide on the 550, I'll buy it while I'm here so I can first register in in Italy, which will prevent me from having to pay sales tax back in the states.

To answer your question, there are no other charges that you have to incurr when you do ED (other than your airline ticket and hotels, food, etc... while you're in Europe).

You should spend a little time on the European Delivery forum to learn a little about that program. I think it will help you make the right decision for yourself.

BayAreaBMWFan
03-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Basically ED beats the Military Sales by a huge margin.
Spend time at the ED Wiki and you are all set.

Navybusa
03-16-2007, 06:56 AM
I went back to the ED forum and read the ED Wiki. I didn't notice it before, but it had a lot of great information and really answered all my questions. So this is what I figured out. The military program is pretty competitive with the ED. I added up the invoice price of the 550 and options and came up with 56455. The military sales price is 58035, so the difference is 1580 dollars between straight invoice and the price I can pay. According to the ED Wiki, 1000 to 2000 above invoice is good, which I'm right in the middle, plus I don't have to fly back from the states to pick it up. I'll still pick it up in Munich, but the flight is only around 60 dollars from where I live. Another benefit I also have is the sales tax saving by purchasing it here, so that would be another couple thousand saved over the ED price. Looks like I've found my answer and I'll be ordering the 550 soon.:)

quackbury
03-16-2007, 08:36 PM
Just out of curiousity, if you buy through the military program, what is your cost to bring the car back stateside at the end of your deployment? Redelivery to your local dealer is included in the ED price. If it's going to cost you a pile of $$$ to ship the car back (plus insure it in transit), you might want to rethink the ED alternative.

Navybusa
03-16-2007, 11:34 PM
The cost of shipping the car back is included in the sale price. I have to keep my insurance for the transit and pay a 200 dollar customs fee.