PDA

View Full Version : I appreciate my X3 more now--

dug01
03-15-2007, 05:49 PM
After spending a week in a rental '07 Ford Explorer I have to say it was a really great to get back into my X3--While the Ford drove OK it was like a tin can compared to the BMW--from the time you open the door (and close it) on the Exploder you can hear-feel and see the cheapness. The interior pieces are chinzy and just about any interior piece can be pulled off with your fingertips. The fake carbon fibre was the worst--and the bizzare door arm rest/handle was just plan ugly and not very usefull. The headliner bounced up and down and adjusting the ceiling air vents felt like it was going to come down. I'm glad I got the X3. :p

AzNMpower32
03-15-2007, 06:03 PM
I hope that shuts people up about the cheap plastics in the X3. Sure, it's not the fanciest plastic in the X3, but at least it's lined up and built sturdily.

Ishniknork
03-15-2007, 06:32 PM
You never know what you've got 'till it's gone. Fortunately for you, you got it back! :D
Glad you're back in the X3 :thumbup:

And talking about "cheap plastic" have you seen a Jeep Grand Cherokee lately? I did yesterday and got to check out the interior. : puke:

While the styling isn't bad or anything, I hated the feel of the hard plastic dash. I'll take my X3 over that any day.

Sonoman707
03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
I hope that shuts people up about the cheap plastics in the X3. Sure, it's not the fanciest plastic in the X3, but at least it's lined up and built sturdily.

Amen brother! :)

vern
03-16-2007, 07:36 AM
+ 1
cheers
vern

UncleJ
03-16-2007, 08:26 AM
I have grown to love and appreciate my X3. I was never one who felt the interior was cheap, to me it was functional and easy to clean. Ish mentioned the Jeep GC as having cheap plastic inside. Perhaps, but if you looked at the SRT-8 version you might have a different opinion. A rocket ship with better than Cayenne Turbo performance at an X3 price. But I digress, this was about interiors after all.

BumBMW
03-16-2007, 08:45 AM
Comparing a BMW to a Ford is like comparing Claudia Shiffer to Anna Nicole Smith, God bless her nevertheless.

Ishniknork
03-17-2007, 12:34 AM
I have grown to love and appreciate my X3. I was never one who felt the interior was cheap, to me it was functional and easy to clean. Ish mentioned the Jeep GC as having cheap plastic inside. Perhaps, but if you looked at the SRT-8 version you might have a different opinion. A rocket ship with better than Cayenne Turbo performance at an X3 price. But I digress, this was about interiors after all.
I doubt it, that would be fun for a while but the gas mileage probably sucks and I'm not too impressed with overall quality or reliability of the current Jeep line. I really like the body styling of the GC, it was a serious contender in my choice for an SUV (SAV ;) ). Before I bought my '05 X3 a friend of mine owned a 2004 model GC and had so many problems with it he got rid of it after just one year. Plus the Jeep line has too many 4x4 drivetrain complaints. A big motor doesn't make up for everything else in my book.

I'm ashamed to mention it here but I also considered the Floored Exploder. Though the Exploder appeared more reliable than the Jeep I still felt it was cheap, mushy, and handled like a boat.

After 1-3/4 years I've had no real issues with my X3 and love it. I too never felt the X3's interior was cheap and agree on the functionality and ease of cleaning aspects.

(Sorry dug01, I just had to digress with UncleJ on this one :D )

dug01
03-17-2007, 07:46 AM
After 1-3/4 years I've had no real issues with my X3 and love it. I too never felt the X3's interior was cheap and agree on the functionality and ease of cleaning aspects.

(Sorry dug01, I just had to digress with UncleJ on this one :D )
I like the sensible layout of the interior and dash on the X3--we also have a Z4 so the X3 was very familiar. My only gripe with the X3 interior is the blandness of the dash--could use a touch more satin aluminum or wood grain on the center panels and the nav/storage area on top of the dash. Yes it is easy to clean but the black is a dust magnet.
:D

erikbmw1
03-17-2007, 05:23 PM
You never know what you've got 'till it's gone. Fortunately for you, you got it back! :D
Glad you're back in the X3 :thumbup:

And talking about "cheap plastic" have you seen a Jeep Grand Cherokee lately? I did yesterday and got to check out the interior. : puke:

While the styling isn't bad or anything, I hated the feel of the hard plastic dash. I'll take my X3 over that any day.

I drove Jeep Cherokees (2) and Grand Cherokees (2) for 12 years (1992-2004) and finally sold my last one. I liked to use them off road myself. Great for that purpose, But I'm done with that. Went without an SUV for two years and decided I wanted one again and looked at the current jeep and had the same reactions : puke:
Jeep used to be leaders in the SUV market... But lets be real Dymler ruined them.
I already knew I would probably get another BMW tho :D
Love the X3!

Evlengr
03-18-2007, 05:41 PM
Have to chime in on this one. I too had a Jeep GC 2005 that I traded in for my 2000 GC. It was a let down from the git go.

I traded it in at big loss just to get rid of it in favor of the X3 07. And yes I removed a super sound system from that one too ;) .

The GC was all plastic and interior space was utilized wrong (plain water even stained the car seats material), had no power (off the line or top end), and its mpg were horrible (12- 15 mpgh hwy, after 20k miles).

The X3 is exactly the opposite. The interior is solid and roomy (the GC was so bad I used to hit the brakes if I shifted my foot slightly), It is quick off the line and seems to have enough top end to get me a nice fat ticket, and even with only 1400 miles on it; it averages 20 mpg.

The X3 07 is one of the best vehicles I have driven in 20 years. And plastic --- I never noticed.

I may have some dissenting opinions with some of the posters but one thing we share in common ---- BMW rocks.:thumbup:

IMO I will never buy another American SUV again, probably another American car for that matter (already talking the wife into a bimmer):D