PDA

View Full Version : Jet Black vs Sapphire Black

angina
03-16-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm looking into buying a new 07 X3, and was wondering what the difference in the Jet Black and the Sapphire Black was.... I know that the Sapphire Black is an extra cost as it is one of the metallic based paints, but is it a true black or are there hints of purple in the color? i am looking for a nice piano black-like finish.. I thought the jet black was that color, but have never seen the sapphire black in person. I don't want a totally dull looking black, but not a purplish black...

ZIGGURAT89
03-16-2007, 07:06 AM
If you want a nice piano black finish, jet black is the way to go. The sapphire black has a tint of purple.

03-16-2007, 08:01 AM
The metallic black has greyish chips in it so it doesn't look as pure black as the jet. I've seen the two side by side and the metallic looked a bit muddy. I have jet, so there you go.

angina
03-16-2007, 12:33 PM
thanks guys!

Richard in NC
03-17-2007, 05:52 AM
I have the Saphire Black. Too me it looks like goldish flakes in the paint, no purple tint. I've not been able to take a good picture of its tint in the sun. The effect is very suttle but does take away the gloss. If you want the piano look, Jet Black is the one.

FYI, other BMWs have offered Carbon Black (blue tint) and Ruby Black (a cool ruby tint) but those aren't offered on the X3.

Dr. Phil
03-17-2007, 06:15 AM
I don't see in any flakes in Black Sapphire :p (from my old 330)
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=21455&d=1067789753

Direct sun light alters the flake appearance IMO...purple, blue, etc. The plus is harder to see minor swirls and scratches with the Sapphire and as you can see you can get as deep of a shine from it as jet black.

Comes down to personal preference and desire/ability to maintain the jet black!!!

Richard in NC
03-17-2007, 06:44 AM
My 650i is also Sapphire Black. Here is a good picture showing its flakes (just ahead of the wheel) and reflective ability (sky in hood and road in the door). The picture is a 100***37; crop from a full size picture.

r6girl
03-17-2007, 10:46 AM
i have an '06 X3 in black sapphire. see the link to pics in my signature, in case that will help. it is not a smooth piano black like you want, though...