PDA

View Full Version : 2007 X3 Speaker Sizes - Conflicting Reports

Evlengr
03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Hello All,

I have received conflicting reports from BMW, Other BMW users, Circuit City, Crutchfield and more.

Can anyone tell me defintively what speaker sizes will fit in a 2007 X3.

It seems that the rear paasenger doors are 4" mounts. It is the front doors that are elusive.

Some say 5 1/4" some say 4". I would love to install at least 5 1/4" since I could do seperates that way. It's between BA SX-50's and PA db5251's at this point in the front and some simple Alpine 4" in the back to round out the hi end.:dunno:

I have found a kit from "metra" that allows a near perfect install of my head unit, the rear deck in front of the battery will fit two of my Alpine amps (will have to do, I usually use three). And I can still fit a 12" Re-coned Kenwood (used Kevlar--gives really tight bass) Sub in a non-ported box.

Bottom line is next weekend I sit down with Tweeter and we go to work so would like to do it in one shot. Otherwise I have to remove the door panels and then get the speakers.

Thanks for your help. And btw open to suggestions on speaker types in the $300 and under range.:bow:

Dr. Phil
03-17-2007, 06:21 AM
You can do this in the back for a sub option:thumbup:
http://bimmerfest.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55587&d=1124152787

My installer told me he could get the 5 1/4" into the front door....never actually did so b/c it was a lease and the bass would have drowned them out any way:)

kjboyd
03-17-2007, 08:22 AM
why oh why would you do that.

Evlengr
03-17-2007, 08:44 AM
Because even the best factory installed radio sounds bad in comparison to a good mid-fi level system.

I really love this car but just as I built a computer for $1100 that would cost over $6000 from Dell sound systems are similar.

I always try to minimize any alterations that can be seen from outside the car. Thieves are like myna birds. They like pretty shiny things.

This is why I am tying to research fit as best as possible before I tear the door panels off.

Thanks Again

dug01
03-17-2007, 09:54 AM
I agree--Cars are for driving--not entertainment! Turn down the stereo and listen to the engine--Ya want good sound go home and listen in a much better environment --and be safe at the same time.
:dunno:

Evlengr
03-17-2007, 01:38 PM
Dugo1 acoustically cars are a much better environment than a house. And a good stereo in your car does not mean loud.

It means clarity. It means that I can put the windows down and still hear the guiatrist pulling his fingers away from the strings, etc...

I am an engineer for several radio stations and as such it requires me to listen to my stations, especially when I am in the car. It is part of my job.

I did not ask for subjective input. I asked for objective input on sizing of speakers,

So if anyone cares to give technical advice I am more than open to your suggestions.

Thanks,

MMME30W
03-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I did not ask for subjective input. I asked for objective input on sizing of speakers,

So if anyone cares to give technical advice I am more than open to your suggestions.

Thanks,

Bro - Take a chill pill, around here, you'll get more flies with honey than vinegar. Besides, it didn't seem to stop you

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2240789&postcount=2

:D

Peace, its all good. :supdude:

AzNMpower32
03-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Evlengr seems to be more into the car audio business.....eh I guess since he bought the car, he has a right to use it anyway he wishes.

I care for good audio systems in cars, but the truth is when I'm really :drive: it down the backroads, I shut the audio system off. The M54 inline-6 sounds better than anything I can think of right now anyway. Except maybe the S54 inline-6.

kjboyd
03-17-2007, 02:25 PM
and if you wanna trick out the audio system, buy a honda civic for goodness sake-- don't ruin a perfectly good BMW.
and yes, Evlengr, we all know what a good and technical audio person you are, you don't need to keep jamming it down our throats.

Evlengr
03-17-2007, 05:55 PM
If I wanted to trick out the engine I would have bought a Honda Civic and not a BMW.

Why is it such an insult to peoples personal sensitivty to want to improve the audio system.

And I am not jamming my technical abilities down anyone's throat, just explaining why I need and like to change the sound system.

And Wingspan the technical reasons against HD are so numerous it would take pages to list them, that is not a subjective reply.

A good many of you change the tires that came with the car or add on other parts--this is any different?

kjboyd
03-17-2007, 09:50 PM
It's the way you are doing it. I'm all for adding some upgrade speakers, but you don't have to tell us all what an audiophile you are and how many stations you built, and that you know better than the rest of us when it comes to sound. Who gives a **** dude. get rid of the "i know what makes sound good and you don't" attitude and you might find us more agreeable.

Ishniknork
03-17-2007, 11:01 PM
A good many of you change the tires that came with the car or add on other parts--this is any different?
GOOD Point! I don't see any reason why you shouldn't alter the sound system if you want and I understand your reasons for wanting to do so.

I upgraded to the Premium sound option because I didn't want to deal with such things as ripping off door panels, cutting up the interior or adding extra components to modify the system. The upgraded system suits me just fine. But it's your car and you do what you want. Wish I could help you out with the speaker sizes but you may just have to dive in and open things up to get accurate answers to your question.

MMME30W
03-18-2007, 06:20 AM
If I wanted to trick out the engine I would have bought a Honda Civic and not a BMW.

Why is it such an insult to peoples personal sensitivty to want to improve the audio system.

And I am not jamming my technical abilities down anyone's throat, just explaining why I need and like to change the sound system.

And Wingspan the technical reasons against HD are so numerous it would take pages to list them, that is not a subjective reply.

:confused:

Ok, bro.

I asked for a picture HD, and how it works.

You told me I didn't want it.

But, whatever floats your boat dude; if you insist on touting your knowledge within each and ever post you make, you're not going to make a lot of friends 'round these here parts.

Trust me, no matter what your background around here, there's somebody that has more knowledge on a subject than you.

Jon runs the site on the premise of "bringing the BMW community together".

Try thinking about that with your next post, mmkay? :thumbup:

Peace out...

Evlengr
03-25-2007, 04:21 PM
First off for those that offered constructive criticism...Thank you. It was most helpful.

I have finished installing a new electronic system and as soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will be happy to illustrate the installation.

The doors are in fact a 4 inch design (shallow depth of only 2 1/4) , and almost seemed to be designed to discourage after-market replacements; but replacing the head unit was a snap with a Metra conversion kit.

Also, added an Ipod controller which allows for the Ipod to be controlled from the head unit and display full text PAD data.

The amplifiers were installed behind the passenger seat in a compartment that simply needed 6 screws removed to reveal a huge area ( and has great ventilation) in front of the battery compartment.This simplified installation greatly since only a remote start had to be run for control wiring from the front of the cabin, and the majorty of the rest was only two feet away.

A phone interface and radar detector were also wired into the system, which mutes the stereo when the phone rings or radar dectector goes off with a custom 20db pad to prevent sounding off at the same volume as the stereo when turned up.

The alarm system (also customized) activates two Piezo tweeters tuned to 1kHz at 103 db in the cabin which is designed to cause physical pain with no long term effects. As well as the external horn (which is more an annoyance to most of us so deactivates after 1 minute). This discourages people from closing the cabin doors and going to town on your car or trying drive it away.

The equipment list:

Head Unit:
Pioneer DEH-P770Mp Premier Line
ipod 30G
iPod Pioneer convertor
XM and Sirius satellite codecs
Custom Relay for seperate SatRad and Antennae

Amplifers:
Alpine MRA-F350
Alpine MRP-F250

Speakers:

Focal vslim 100m (front)
Infinty Kappa 42.7i (back)

Alpine SWE-1242 (12" sub)

Viper Alarm (customized)

Radar Detector Passport 9500i

All of the controls have been interfaced to the steering column or are voice command as to diminish distractions from the road.

So for those reluctant to make changes to their sound system in an X3 please feel free to PM me as I took measurements and pictures along the whole process and will be happy to share the info.

BTW Andre Bocelli never sounded so good (as well as some good old fashioned RUSH). :guitar:

Ishniknork
03-25-2007, 09:26 PM
BTW Andre Bocelli never sounded so good (as well as some good old fashioned RUSH). :guitar:
Dude! That reads like a killer system you set up. I'm glad you were able to get things sorted out to your satisfaction. Please feel free to post the pics! Even though I probably wouldn't go to those extents I'd love to see them. Ya never know...

I'll bet Rush does sound great on it :thumbup:

Kiara J
03-26-2007, 09:36 AM
How do the Focal 100 slims sound? Getting enough midbass? Where are you setting the crossovers?

Also, FWIW, I don't know why people who don't care that much about car audio bothered to posted in (as opposed to having read) this thread....

crazybelgian
03-26-2007, 11:20 AM
do you have photo's of the head unit installed? well, actually the whole system would be great to see... thanks in advance!

Evlengr
03-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Wow cool responses I was beginning to think I was some sort of pariah. Right now I have the bass rolled off to 125Hz. The Pioneer head unit gives the ability for 40, 80, and 125.

The focals are the best I have heard so far in a 4". I put the Infinity's in the back because they are characteristically bright and thought that would round off the hi end loss when the sun roof was open. I am still trying to figure out what to do about the OEM speakers that are located under the seats. I am hoping to get some feedback that may allow me some ideas concerning that. This may help solve the mid-bass problem.

As far as the negative comments..who knows..some people just have to put their comments up.

CB the metra kit is a 99-9305 and cost me all of $18.00 for the head unit installation. And the ipod convertor was a pioneer CD-IB100II @ $45.00.

BTW the reason I posted here was to help those that are in that demographic that may be considered to be too old to be cool, but still likes good music and to "JAM" when no one is looking on that back road. I am 44 myself.

I will post some pictures tonight. I think you might be surprised since I go for a minimalistic, but functional approach.

Thanks for the questions,

Evlengr
03-26-2007, 04:52 PM
Hopefully this screen shot took. It shows the head unit and Ipod connected.

More to come as I edit them down.

AzNMpower32
03-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Cool! And glad to see everything worked out.

Btw, with the warm weather coming up, I suggest you adjust the outside air "vent" dial to 3 blue dots. You aint gonna get much cool air with it on red dots.

dug01
03-27-2007, 06:38 AM
Hopefully this screen shot took. It shows the head unit and Ipod connected.

More to come as I edit them down.

I am glad it worked for you--I could never butcher my dash like that--there must be a better way--or maybe the picture just makes it look bad. With the way auto dashes are designed now it must be difficult to fit an aftermarket radio in them and make it look decent. I replaced my unit in my old Z3 with a pioneer cd/mp3--from Cruchfield--they supplied a slip in box and the radio filled the opening completely--and even though it fit cleanly it still bothered me that the display was a slightly different color than the rest of the instruments--so I guess I could never be satisfied with a hack job on my X3 :dunno:

crazybelgian
03-27-2007, 06:48 AM
I understand the comments about it not looking stock, but I bet when you hear the difference it doesn't matter anymore.
Couldn't you change the color of the display on the new head unit to match the amber of the rest of the car?
pretty sweet.

kjboyd
03-27-2007, 08:57 AM
I Second Dug01s comments. No offense to Evlengr meant, but i don't care how good it sounds if i had to look at that all day.

Evlengr
03-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Dugo1 and Kjboyd..you folks are a little harsh in your commentary. So far all of your comments have been nothing but negative. And I thought this site was to bring folks together.

The dash was not "butchered" since it would take me all of five minutes to drop the old radio back in. And if you are satisfied with the sound of the stock radio great.

I posted this for people that are not (and to look for info), and are looking to make some changes. whether they are as radical as mine or simply changing out the speakers for some more clarity I will continue to be happy to share what my experiences with design changes.

CB, that is a great suggestion with the color. I will have to look into that. Who knows maybe I'll change the BMW color to match the radio, Lol.

AznM thanks on the setting.....being 80 today and from the same area as you it helped to change that.

dug01
03-27-2007, 11:46 AM
I Second Dug01s comments. No offense to Evlengr meant, but i don't care how good it sounds if i had to look at that all day.

AMEN:thumbup:

Bobert
03-27-2007, 12:19 PM
After-market stereo's just don't look right with the shape the OE stereo looks. I think hiding the after-market radio in the center console, then having the original stereo just be a dummy stereo without removing it would be a way to keep factory looks without ruining the facade of the dash. Probably a lot more work, but o'well.

Mikeysbmw
04-18-2007, 08:23 PM
Evlengr I am with you the system sounds ok not great. Who likes medeoker? You guy's need to chill out and leave him alone if you don't like the post MOVE ON!!!

Evlengr
04-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Ok sorry it has taken me so long to get back to this. The installation was very simple and directly behind the rear passenger seats and in front of the battery/storage compartment.

When you lift the battery case door you will see three nylon screws. Pull up the center tab and then the outer portion will come put clean. Next carefully unscrew the three bolts that are left center and rear.

You will find a comparment to the left that is approximately 24" long x 14" wide x 8" deep.

I made a small panel to fasten the amps to out of 1/4 plywood and speaker carpeting.

Here is a picture of the final installation (although I will probably redo it for fun, since hind-sight offers more insight).

While I am here. Anyone know the size of the speakers that are mounted under the driver and passenger seat?

Brandon01
04-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Evlengr, that looks great. Those fit in there perfectly. Thanks for posting your work as you go along.

According to this post the under-seat "subwoofers" are 4" x 6". You can clearly see the plastic grills over top them if you peak under the seats. In my 2007 they're rectangular in shape, so I'm inclined to say this is right.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1269693&postcount=13

But el_duderino mentions in his well informed writeup linked to here that they are 6" (round?)
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136563&highlight=x3

Given that he didn't replace them and put his focus into amps and adding a sub, I'm inclined to say he just misspoke and they are 4" x 6".

I'm totally with you in wanting to improve the sound quality in the X3. I have the "premium" audio and find the low end to be muddy, muffled, and lacking in tone. No interest in rattling panels here. I just want clearer, more accurate sound.

Evlengr
04-21-2007, 05:41 PM
Well chances are I'll end up ripping them out to see..since depth is another concern. If Duderino is right I will dance for joy. Why? That means I can put in my Pro 60's and simply mount the 6" driver under the seat and re-calibarate the x-over to work as a mid-bass in the 125Hz - 800HZ range and then mount the tweeters in the inner side mirror mounts at a 30 degree angle toward the center for better imaging (and leave the 4" speakers in the doors to fill in the other ranges).

When I find out--next week or two--I'll let ya know since the frequency I mentioned above is what is weak according to a pink-noise generator (and my own hearing) what seems to be missing.

Why do I go to all this trouble? Well I really like all forms of music from the Dead Kennedys, Sarah Brightman, Jeff Beck, Dave Matthews, Tchaikovsky, Herb Alpert, etc... plus no one else has done it, everyone says you can't do it, and I can, Lol.

angina
04-24-2007, 07:00 AM
Evlengr, great job! I admire someone who has the balls to do whatever they want with their oh so sacred BMW..... Don't know why so many people are so opposed to wanting a better sound system in your car - The OEM systems don't compare to what you can do aftermarket. Sorry to go off topic or anything, but I am really annoyed by how this forum responds to people like the original poster. It's not as if he is ripping off the front bumper of a Cayenne, sticking onto his X3, installing neon green fluorescent lamps, and sticking 8 LCD screens and a couple 20inch subs ala pimp my ride. and if he was, who cares?

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but I think these forums work best when the criticism is actually constructive, not "oh, why would you do that to a BMW? If you want a good sound system, stay at home!" type of comments.

god, i love the x3 and all, but its not like he's ripping apart a bentley or something. Anyways, looks great-clean and disceet!

Brandon01
04-30-2007, 04:01 PM
The under seat "subwoofers" are indeed rounds, according to this site which is the first place I've seen that has technical diagrams for the X3.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=PC93&mospid=49511&hg=65&fg=20

You can see that while the housing for the "central bass" unit is rectangular, the speaker inside is circular. That mounting box might indicate a shallow mount, much like the door speakers.

Evlengr
04-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Oh man. I would have paid to see this site earlier. This is going to help a lot with some other questions I have pending.

Thanks Brandon.....much appreciated.

sspears
05-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Evlengr,

Than you for the pictures. I just picked up my X3 and want to upgrade the audio as well.

I am torn as I like the integrated look of the stock HU, but I want something more. The upcoming Alpine 9887 has peaked my interest due to the room correction. I suppose in this case it is really car correction. :) If I decide to stick with the stock HU, then I will probably try out the Alpine PXE-H650.

Can you tell me how the stock HU connects to the stock AMP and the AMP to the stock speakers? Did you keep the stock wiring for the speakers or replace? I am trying to understand what I will need to wire in the H650. I may also replace the stock amps, but I am not sure about the speakers yet.

I have the basic audio system, no sat or nav. I did just order the DICE for my iPod.

Thank you in advance,

Stacey

jvalley
05-21-2007, 07:23 AM
Hello...first post, new owner.

I called the BSW guys about the 07 X3 Speakers and they said they were hard at work at figuring something out for later this summer.

Also, I bought the DICE iPod Kit and I have a problem that I'm wondering if anyone here has solved. I installed the DICE kit under the center console (using the CD Changer cables) and it seems to work okay. But, there is definately a connectivity problem with the 6-pin connector where it plugs into the Sirius module in the back. The connector wiggles loose while I'm driving causing audio to only come out the right-side speakers. Has anyone fixed this problem with an intermediate connector or twist-ties or something? :P

Evlengr
05-21-2007, 01:34 PM
SSpears.

I initially used the stock speakers and wires with my set up. The conversion kit I purchased brought out most of the wiring short of the connections to the amps (RCA Type wires I custom made, but you can purchase if you like). I later installed Infinty Co-Axial type speakers since 4" seperates are very costly and offer no advantage in sound when the drivers are that small. Crutchfield offers good kits that you can buy from them or purchase seperately to help with this ( a little on the expensive side but good customer support).

The amps will make a more pronounced difference initially since more power is actually better in most cases (cleaner sound). It doesnt always mean louder. heck my old Porsche could do 150 mph easy. Doesn't mean I did.

If you are looking at replacing the HU many of the new models now use direct USB interface and make the DICE out-dated. Alpine offers many models. I am considering changing out my Pioneer for one of these models by Alpine:

DVA-9861 or the iPod only IDA- x001

JValley

We typically use a material called "Heat Shrink" to secure male/female cable connections. it is a pliable tube of plastic type material that shrinks when heat is applied. It can be found at Radio Shack or any electrical or mega hardware store. If your connector is 1/2" then get a piece 3/4" and slip it on before connecting the wires. Then slide the Heat Shrink over the connection and pllay heat using a hair dryer (we have heat shrink guns) but that will work too.

Hope that helps.....remember when in doubt consult a professional. Although I am an engineer I did use the expertise of an established car installer since I don't take cars apart all day like they do.:guitar:

Evlengr
05-31-2007, 10:53 AM
Sorry I have been away for a bit. Some one asked the dimensions of usable space for the well where I placed the amps.

22" length x 12" width x 5" depth. There is more room but that is imo usable space due to connectors and panel I installed to mount the amps.

JJ718
06-14-2007, 01:15 PM
I thank you taking the time to post information that, although not of interest to all; is very informative to the others who share your passion, myself included...:grouphug:

"The doors are in fact a 4 inch design (shallow depth of only 2 1/4) , and almost seemed to be designed to discourage after-market replacements"

Are you sure that the new openings in the 07 would not fit 5.25's??? :dunno:
I ask b/c I have installed MB Quart PKC110 - MB Quart 4" Premium Coaxials Speakers in my 2004 X3 door openings which appear to be much smaller than the current model. My installer complained of the shallow mounting space and had to cut out metal behind the panels for fit, so that is definitely true. I just think that minor cuts may give way to 5.25's;. Love the fact that you set up the IPOD controller..one of the first things I will take of on my new 07', upcoming. BTW.. All interiors are amped - Memphis M-class.....

Your head unit upgrade is a matter of preference, I don't think you butchered anything and as far as I'm concerned; It's you car, do whateva you want, those who aren't making the payments on it are not to be overly concerned with what ypu mod... I decided to not change out the HU. It acts as more of an attraction to thieves when they see a custom radio they can borrow w/o permission :mad:(NYC, go figure) BTW, your alarm system sounds amazing in concept..... Wouldn't want to be the guy borrowing your HU.. LOL

"I am still trying to figure out what to do about the OEM speakers that are located under the seats. I am hoping to get some feedback that may allow me some ideas concerning that. This may help solve the mid-bass problem."

Let me know what you do with those; I would love to hear from anyone who has changed these out. I was considering JL Audio 6W0 6.5" 4 Ohm SVC Subwoofer in place of them.
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=2073
I have personally had the OEM's cut off for the last 3 years as my subs handle all my lows. Yes, I like bass!!! Understatement of the year...
(2 x Kicker 15" 1000 Watt 2 Ohm DVC CompVR Subwoofers in a sealed enclosure by Audio Enhancers)
http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2007/206/l2067DCVR12-f.jpeg

With our new addition to the family, I will have to bid farewell to the Big Box Thump for it's baby stroller counterpart..:banghead: Want to see what options I have for the interior replacements or possibly 2 Rockford Fosgate 8" 500 Watt 2 Ohm DVC Punch P3 Subwoofers in a hidden enclosure; either in the trunk side walls or under the trunk floor.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/279000-279999/279778_17.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/805000-805999/805076_4.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/805000-805999/805076_24.jpg

Some other projects I have in mind for my 07' X3 will be installing sound deadening material - all four doors and trunk ( has anyone done this??? Hear it changes all the sound in the car), tweeter pods for the fronts, as well as a center channel set-up; I've read great things about these topics & BMW has placed the front in such a position that you hear more from the rears than the front - which totally throws off the soundstage***8230;.

http://www.termpro.com/articles/center.html

Anyone with knowledge of this topic please fire away. That's all for now. Hope I hear from at least one out there. I will post photos in the near future of my 07'; project.

Evlengr
06-15-2007, 07:28 AM
JJ some cool work there. If my car gets back in time from getting the SIB done on the
21'st I have an appointement scheduled with my installer on the 23'rd. The speakers underneath are infact a 5" round shallow (2 ohm rated) depth with the magnet inverted to accomodate that. I am going to see if I can squeeze a custom template in for my BA 60's and then mount/hide the tweeters seperately in the overhead where the little opera reading lights reside. i was also considering the JL's but their mounting depth even with spacers would be too great and interfere with the elctronics mounted underneatht the seat.

The doors are defintely 100mm/ 4 " unless you cut. And then you still have the minimal depth issue. So after reviewing frequency response for a 4" and 5.25" I figured out would off set that with other drivers. I also don't like cutting I work in Washington DC and shiny stuff attracts thieves as well. hence all my stuff except the HU is hidden under normal enclosures.

I'll keep you posted.

JJ718
06-16-2007, 12:01 PM
i was also considering the JL's but their mounting depth even with spacers would be too great and interfere with the elctronics mounted underneatht the seat.

Are you certain about this??? That was my last hope at not having to go BIG.....:bawling:

Let me know if you think there is a possibility for those. You sound very educated in your responses so I would love to hear your input.

Evlengr
06-16-2007, 12:35 PM
JJ I will defintely let you know. The Infinity's combined with the Alpine amp are good, but I tend to be very picky on good sound. I picked the Infnity's since they are rated at 2 ohms.

This will be helpful if I cannot shoe horn in a larger speaker then the mid-bass 5" that is already under the seat since they are rated at 2 ohms as well.

Thanks for the "educated" comment btw. I try to be and what I dont know I ask, Lol.

My prime directive in a car sound system is to have full sound across the audio spectrum with out playing my hand of what's inside. So adaptors yes, but no cutting.

I'll know after the 23'rd of this month if they straighten out this darn tranny SIB in time.

Cheers,

Jedclampet
06-25-2007, 12:35 PM
Evlengr,
Great info I too have a 07 x3 and can't wait for BSW to build their kit. You saved me a ton of work already, but I still have a question or two. The door panels front and rear how did you get them apart to change out the speakers?? And if I read things right you had said both the front and rear doors had 4 inch drivers?? Were there seperate tweeters as well?? Lastly any pictures of the doors before and after??
Thanks

Evlengr
06-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Hey Jed,

depending on the original system is my answer. The hi end one has provisions for tweeters as well as a 4" speaker in the doors. Only problem is that 4" component speaker kits are very rare these days (and very expensive). And when it comes down to it do not offer an appreciable difference (IMO) over co-ax 4" because of the "proximity effect". Technical specs also support my opinion. One thing that has worked to my advantage that was purely luck is that the mid bass drivers mounted under the seats are 2 ohm speakers (rare in cars--usually 4 ohm). So matching the impedance on my infintys (that are also 2 ohm) should work out well. I left removing the door panels to "Tweeter" since they are air bag loaded and for $60 it seemed the safer route.

Glad my research is helping folks that want to change their systems up. And I will llok for my pictures concerning the door panels.

Evlengr
07-07-2007, 06:27 PM
New info to share. I just did some exploration of my own underneath the front seats.

The mid bass are in fact 8" in diameter I have not checked the full depth on these since they appear to be reverse mounted with the magnet facing upward as you remove the plate.

If there is enought depth this opens up a whole new list of oppurtunitys with speakers as full component 6" will mount (with seperate tweeters placed at correct angles to our dare I say it yes---ears), or even 8" mini subs..droooool for the ever evasive 150Hz ---- 800Hz midbass that all music contains. I have pictures that I will post later. Sorry been meaning to get to this for a while. Pardon the geek engineer in me.

ROM3000
07-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Evlengr, care to post some pictures of your install? Thank you. Also, what would you recommend if I wanted to keep the stock head unit, but upgrade the speakers?

Evlengr
07-27-2009, 05:56 AM
It seems to me that the best overall speaker that definitely fits is the Alpine SPS-400 co-ax speaker. On the hi side go with focals.

Interestingly enough I have been constructing a DYI of installation for speaker color codes, sizes, and more.

If you don't want to change your H/U there are many aftermarket processor type units that will allow for additional amplifers and acoustic control.

minicrazy592
08-02-2009, 08:07 PM

+1

eXhilarat3d
08-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Evl,

Have you found out the mounting depth of the drivers underneath the seats? I'm wondering if the Pioneer Premier shallow mount 8" subwoofers will fit.

Evlengr
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Just under 3 inches. By my measurement those and the kickers are the only ones that will fit. If I was to go that route I will go with the Pioneers. Crutchfield has them listed at $160 each atm.

I was originally going to replace those and tried a decent amp and found they sound pretty good, but lacked some lower frequency so am opting to make those what they are: A mid-bass and add a 10 inch sub in a closed box (adds more defined bass and not the whumpff the kids in corolla's have). I just ordered a boston acoustic 10" an hour ago.

This will be next weeks project if the temperatures drops below 90.

Cheers.

ps don't listen to the naysayers as closed minds=limited knowledge.

Evlengr
08-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Forgot to add this image

eXhilarat3d
08-09-2009, 08:08 PM
That's what I was hoping for. So, my plan is to upgrade all the door speakers with some nice coaxials, replace the woofers under the seat, and power it all with a 5 channel amp.

Thanks for all your research and sharing it with us, Evl. :thumbup:

Evlengr
08-10-2009, 05:56 AM
That's what I was hoping for. So, my plan is to upgrade all the door speakers with some nice coaxials, replace the woofers under the seat, and power it all with a 5 channel amp.

Thanks for all your research and sharing it with us, Evl. :thumbup:

No problem. The Alpine pdx 5 would be my choice if given the money. Unfortunately AC just broke at home and Disney mecca for the little one is on the horizon so it can wait.

IMO it is the perfect amp for that situation as it will shed off heat quickly, is small, and very good specs.

Glad to help.

eXhilarat3d
08-10-2009, 07:35 AM
That's the amp I'm going to purchase. I really want to use the factory HU though. Would you suggest splitting the front outputs for the mid/high channels and using the rears for the sub? Seems the only solution for feeding a 5 channel amp. I don't believe the PDX5 has remote gain adjustment at all.

Evlengr
08-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Have you thought about this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PXEH650/Alpine-PXE-H650.html?tp=428

I installed this:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500PXAH100/Alpine-PXA-H100-IMPRINT-Audio-Processor.html?tp=428

And it makes a huge difference acoustically. The software is a little "clunky", but the end result is phenomenal.

The PXE-H650 will allow you to keep your H/U, add amps, and tune to the interior of the X3.

In for a penny in for a pound approach.

There is more than enough room to install the amp and controller in the rear hatch area in the "Hidden" compartment area in front of the battery access area.

eXhilarat3d
08-10-2009, 09:21 AM
The Alpine PXE DSP looks promising but the reviews say otherwise. Definitely something I'll be doing more research on. A little bit on the pricey side. I guess that the cost of trying to keep the factory HU. I wish the dash was more inviting to aftermarket decks.

Evlengr
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
The Alpine PXE DSP looks promising but the reviews say otherwise. Definitely something I'll be doing more research on. A little bit on the pricey side. I guess that the cost of trying to keep the factory HU. I wish the dash was more inviting to aftermarket decks.

Exactly correct: Keeping the original H/U with the added gear will be difficult. There are other processors that will adapt as well. I saw those reviews as well after I posted the link. Sorry bout that. I would have reservations as well.

Seems to me that even using an interface the audio will need to go through the H/U which is the weakest link.

eXhilarat3d
08-10-2009, 10:52 PM
This looks like it may suite my particular setup very well:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236REQ5/MTX-re-Q5.html?tp=428

There's no auto adjustment but seems like there's plenty options to make enough adjustments manually.

Evlengr
08-11-2009, 05:55 AM
This looks like it may suite my particular setup very well:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_236REQ5/MTX-re-Q5.html?tp=428

There's no auto adjustment but seems like there's plenty options to make enough adjustments manually.

The KISS approach I love it. Makes much more sense. I'll have to finally get off my duff and get you (all others as well) the speaker leads that are in the rear left hatch panel.