PDA

View Full Version : General Bulletin re: iPod & USB Adapter from BMWNA

Jon Shafer
03-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Click Here (http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/ipod_usb_adapter.pdf)

Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this .pdf document, a free download at Adobe.com.

JSpira
03-17-2007, 11:23 PM
The Bulletin has been updated. It leaves the 6er out now :eek: (when I first got the Bulletin it was listed with the 6er).

For details well beyond this, see my article at bmwcca.org (http://www.bmwcca.org/node/7241)

Ugly Bear
03-18-2007, 12:57 AM
For details well beyond this, see my article at bmwcca.org (http://www.bmwcca.org/node/7241)

Now, the million dollars question is: since adapter is available on non-iDrive models, it is non iDrive related. Can it be retrofitted to older E60 then?

Probably not, but anyway... :)

deelee
03-18-2007, 07:36 AM
Click Here (http://jon.bimmerfest.com/bulletins/ipod_usb_adapter.pdf)

Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view this .pdf document, a free download at Adobe.com.
thank you for the update.i just ahd a question reg this.i have not opted for factory fitted option and my car is already produced.is it possible to get this option as a dealer fitted option(can dealer install it for me)..AND THE BIGGEST CONCERN IS THAT if the dealer fits it are the functions similar to factory installed or are some functions not available and would it need any software upgrade if it is dealer insatlled??

JSpira
03-18-2007, 08:17 AM
To answer both questions above, this is a factory only option (I think my article makes this point) ONLY.

Is a retrofit possible? Unlikely as this involves a new MOST port among other new hardware.

GolferEngineer
03-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Will the glove box interface still be availble? It seems kind of a messy interface to have the iPod hanging out in the open with the interface adapter! It would be much better inside the console or glove box.:thumbdwn:

JSpira
03-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Will the glove box interface still be availble? It seems kind of a messy interface to have the iPod hanging out in the open with the interface adapter! It would be much better inside the console or glove box.:thumbdwn:

You´ve lost me here. How is inside the center console messy?

But yes, the glove box interface will still be available as an after market accessory but it is also more expensive, not as flexible, and does not control the iPod as well as the new option.

deelee
03-18-2007, 10:50 AM
To answer both questions above, this is a factory only option (I think my article makes this point) ONLY.

Is a retrofit possible? Unlikely as this involves a new MOST port among other new hardware.

sorry to not mention..i have a new 528xi which is on its way so it it possible to get this a s a option from the dealer?and if yes where would the port be available and will it be the same a s factort fitted?

JSpira
03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
[

sorry to not mention..i have a new 528xi which is on its way so it it possible to get this a s a option from the dealer?

What part of my previous statement

WAS NOT CLEAR TO YOU? :dunno: :dunno:

deelee
03-18-2007, 11:10 AM
[

What part of my previous statement

WAS NOT CLEAR TO YOU? :dunno: :dunno:

it is clear..sorry to bother u but i am getting different views.coz when i spoke with bmwna the person confirmed that it could be fitted in the dealership so thats what s confusing?

JSpira
03-18-2007, 11:27 AM
it is clear..sorry to bother u but i am getting different views.coz when i spoke with bmwna the person confirmed that it could be fitted in the dealership so thats what s confusing?

No worries but I can only repeat what the BMW product manager told me. It is not at this time available in a retrofit and they are not contemplating one right now.

revlis240
03-19-2007, 01:25 AM
it says that it is compatible with some non apple mp3 players. does this mean that itll just play the song? or give me access to folders/artists/ etc?

most aftermarket mp3 players use a mini usb cord anyway, what do you think jspira?

Abe

JSpira
03-19-2007, 06:36 AM
There are a whole bunch of variables there including how the drive is formatted and any DRM just to mention two.

No one here has cars with that option yet so this will have to wait for hands on testing.

Speculation re this question is, well, pure speculation.

deelee
03-23-2007, 05:57 PM
No worries but I can only repeat what the BMW product manager told me. It is not at this time available in a retrofit and they are not contemplating one right now.

i am planning to get an ipod adapter installed in my new 5series(2008).can anyone please tell :
cost of ipod adapter.also should i get it thru my dealer or order it from somewhere.
approximate installation cost and installation time1 i read somwhere that the standard installation time is about 0.75 hours?
would it need any software upgrade or coding?is it going ot cost extra

stream
03-23-2007, 06:14 PM
i am planning to get an ipod adapter installed in my new 5series(2008).can anyone please tell :
cost of ipod adapter.also should i get it thru my dealer or order it from somewhere.
approximate installation cost and installation time1 i read somwhere that the standard installation time is about 0.75 hours?

Multiple posts...with the same question...in different threads...are annoying...at best... :mad:

doug_999
03-24-2007, 09:30 AM
You´ve lost me here. How is inside the center console messy?

But yes, the glove box interface will still be available as an after market accessory but it is also more expensive, not as flexible, and does not control the iPod as well as the new option.

Jon
It looks like it is in the same place as the old Aux In on the 5-series - the back of the center console. Any ideas?

JSpira
03-24-2007, 02:22 PM
Jon
It looks like it is in the same place as the old Aux In on the 5-series - the back of the center console. Any ideas?It's not there. It's in the center console.

BavDude
03-24-2007, 10:13 PM

I thought jspira already cleared this up for you. It can ONLY be ordered through the dealer and it MUST be installed at the factory. It cannot be added by the dealer or anyone else once it leaves the factory. It is option number 6FL and the MSRP price is $400, the invoice price is $365. Ask your dealer to add this option to your order, assuming it is not too late to do so. Ask them to add it for the $365 invoice price. Worst case is it's $400 total.

JSpira
03-25-2007, 12:16 AM
He's confusing the iPod interface with 6FL. :dunno: