PDA

View Full Version : Engine Question

EJSDad
03-19-2007, 06:13 AM
If all goes well I will be purchasing my first BMW in the next couple months. I am on the fench between the 07 530i and the 535i. My question lies within the turbo charged 535i and the 530i. I can not speak on BMW but everyone I know that has had a turbo system has had a complaint about it or it blew up on them. I am not sure if this is self inflicted but it is a concern as far as reliability. What ever guidance you have will be appreciated.

MikeTerp
03-19-2007, 07:17 AM
I drove two Audi turbos and neither had a problem related to the turbo (one had 145K on it when I sold it). No doubt turbos add more complexity to the engine; however, I believe if you maintain the car properly, you should be ok.

merklebob
03-19-2007, 08:46 AM
the major failure in turbos is the bearing coking up. add a pint or less of a good after market valve cleaner after you get 50,000 on the car. i always used rislone. had several turbo over 100k

SteVTEC
03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
This engine will definitely be a liability for out of warranty costs. New turbos, new metallurgics that are unproven, new direct injection system, and plus bmw tends to design for maximum response and not maximum reliability anyways. There are always issues that come up with newer technology. I'll probably be going with an '08 528i myself due to this if I'm buying. I'd still consider a 535i, but probably only for a lease. Make it somebody else's problem after the leasing period.

ExGMan
03-19-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll probably be going with an '08 528i myself due to this if I'm buying.
BMW is boosting the rated HP for the 528i/xi, presumably with the new center injection technology applied to the N52 engine. Does this make it an N54, or is that the turbo version?:dunno:

SteVTEC
03-19-2007, 06:28 PM
The 528i in the US is still a port-injected Valvetronic N52 engine. Nothing fancy here, and Valvetronic has been around for years now. Non-US market cars are getting the direct injected non-Valvetronic N53 engine. No Valvetronic needed since with direct injection you can run a high enough excess air ratio that the throttling efficiency improvements with Valvetronic aren't needed. I would love a non-US market N53 530i with 272hp/230tq. Perfect. :) But I can't get one here. :(

niktee
03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
We, being BMW's largest market, need to keep on bitching, harping, begging,whining,pleading,and speak loudly as one until BMW gives us back the 530i. It is the best all around engine in the BMW stable(for we regular folks), and the USA can't have it. WHY? We need an answer from BMW.