PDA

View Full Version : Anyone considered the FX before they went with the x3?

03-19-2007, 05:59 AM
I really liked the size, styling, sportyness, exhaust note, and pricing of the FX. The reason I went with the x3 is its a facelift for 07 and the FX is getting old and its just all over the place. For every x3 that I see there must of been at least 10 FXs.......... :dunno:

Actually when I think about it, this is also very true about the x5, they are all over the place, my observation is that at least 85% of them if not more are v6s. Man, to put an x3 engine into a much bigger & heavier x5....... that thing crawls. :dunno: The only way to do an x5 is with a v8, period.

kjboyd
03-19-2007, 07:00 AM
BMW does not make a V6.

adc
03-19-2007, 07:30 AM
They don't offer the FX with a stick.

Otherwise, I would have considered it.

MTLX3
03-19-2007, 07:48 AM
I think it's ugly :thumbdwn:

Tucsonbmw
03-19-2007, 08:04 AM
I test drove the FX vs. 07 X3 and all I can say is that there is no comparison. The X3 handling is just unbelievable. The FX seemed top heavy and it had a lot of body roll. The only thing is that the FX has a better Nav system. That is my only gripe with the X3. The NAv system is cumbersome and nonintuitive.

firstbmwX3
03-19-2007, 08:59 AM
I liked the FX35 but the cargo area is smaller overall and if I'm not mistaken the gas mileage is not quite as good as the X3 and it isn't any quicker...and the X3 panorama roof is awesome.

jdeday
03-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Also consider the maintenance cost of the FX compared to the X3. Remember all maintenance is included for 4 years and 50,000 miles on all BMW's.

dug01
03-19-2007, 05:10 PM
Fx is goofy looking--and the exhaust sounds strange.

03-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Fx is goofy looking--and the exhaust sounds strange.

strange? what about the sound of the G coupe? is that strange too? :confused:

AzNMpower32
03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
My parents thought it looked too bad. And admittedly, the interior design doesnt age well.

JG
03-19-2007, 07:00 PM
I really liked the size, styling, sportyness, exhaust note, and pricing of the FX. The reason I went with the x3 is its a facelift for 07 and the FX is getting old and its just all over the place. For every x3 that I see there must of been at least 10 FXs.......... :dunno:

Looks like a pregnant roller skate - and handles like one...........

03-19-2007, 07:48 PM
this is my next ride......

dug01
03-20-2007, 06:15 AM
strange? what about the sound of the G coupe? is that strange too? :confused:
Not strange--the G-coupe is a sporty car--the FX is a family vehicle. Many a review of the FX mentioned the annoying exhaust drone--I think it sounds cheap-( the V6)-like a $19 auto-zone muffler. OH and don't forget it's funny looking--like when it comes to a stop a bunch of clowns should pile out!

kataraika
03-20-2007, 10:00 AM
The FX was my second choice to the X3, especially when Infiniti started offering $2500 cash back. My problem with the FX is that it's 9 inches longer, 3 inches wider, and 300 pounds heavier than the X3. As a result, it drives like a bigger, heavier vehicle and only gets 16 MPG -- more like and X5 than an X3 -- kind of big and lumbering. I found the X3 to be much more nimble and fun to drive, and I felt a little better/more socially conscious getting a car that was not quite so much of a gas hog. I also preferred the sound and feel of the X3 engine. I also do a lot of skiing, so the X3's ski pass-through (in the Cold Weather Package) was very important to me and not something that's offered on the FX. On the plus side, the FX has better reliability and a nicer, more comfortable interior for both the back and front rows. It's a tough choice. The FX is probably a better value for the money, but the X3 is a little more fun to drive. If you don't mind paying for the better driving experience, I'd go with the X3.

UncleJ
03-20-2007, 12:35 PM
I too looked long and hard at the FX series. I lusted briefly after the 45 but the gas milage was awful. My nephew has a 35 that he loves and raves about how wonderful it is. I was interested, but when I drove it, it felt very claustrophobic. The FX has a high belt line and "cockpit" feel in front. It was very nicely appointed inside and the seats were roomy and comfortable. The utility of the FX is not great IMHO. I went with the X3 because I just liked the looks of it better, had good utility, and was a BMW with that great straight six!

dgboggs
03-29-2007, 09:44 AM
I actually had an FX35 and an FX45.

The 45 is very strong running. Aside from that, the 35 and 45 are really the same.
The FX is somewhat claustrophobic, and the cargo space is limited. Also, the floor of the cargo space is pretty high. VERY hard on gas. I never really got better than 19 out of the 45. The 45 I had was an '05, and the ride was not good. It was very hard, and you felt every little bump. The handling was pretty good, but it wasn't worth that hard ride. So, I traded for an '06 35, hoping to get better mpg and a better ride. I can honestly say that it was a good trade. In 06 Infiniti re-designed the suspension, and now the new FX's ride very well, I would say almost as well as my '06 X3 (non-sport). Also, I saw an average of 18 mpg, which was a notable improvement.

As said, the FX navi is way good, and the car was loaded with amenities. But I think that what won me over to the X3 was the quality of the feel of the car. My X just really feels fantastic. The FX always felt like a bumped-up Nissan. The X3 feels like it was built from the ground up, and it looks it as well. The X3 has better visibility (the FX has really bad visibility), and the cabin feels very open. Also, I think that the X is a lot more comfortable than the FX. The seating in the FX (for me) required a lot of tweaking, whereas in the X3 I only spent about 10 seconds adjusting it, and I've not moved it since. The FX is a large car, and it really fills a garage. I like the moderate size of the X3 better.
And the ride just doesn't compare. The X is so quiet, refined, stable, and precise. The FX's steering is somewhat heavy, and the small steering wheel makes it a bit of work at times.

But, keep this in mind, the FX is supposed to compete with the X5, not the X3. Infiniti is preparing to introduce it's competition to the X3, the CX25/35. I almost waited for the CX to come out, but I decided that I didn't want a re-warmed version of a G sedan. Again- I don't want a bumped-up Nissan.

Also- I think that Nissan is the best overall car company in the world. They make really good cars that are reasonable, perform well, and are very reliable. They do fresh and innovative things, and back their product up well. I personally just like the X3.

UncleJ
03-30-2007, 07:39 AM
The new EX35 looks like the Nissan/Infinity X3 fighter coming down the pike. I guess the new Highlander will be Toyota's effort or was that the new RAV? Hard to tell these days with everyone bringing out performance "cute utes". I actually saw a new Suzuki X7, without the hot looking biker chick in the commercials driving it, that was carving up the road pretty well on a trip through the Mendocino wine country. Very impressive, but I had no trouble keeping up either.

sayemthree
04-03-2007, 11:50 PM
i would not consider a FRENCH owned car such as the Nissan/Infiniti/Raunault line.

mateo
04-13-2007, 12:01 AM
I think it's ugly :thumbdwn:I'm wish you...:confused:

Ugly Bear
04-13-2007, 08:58 AM

Actually when I think about it, this is also very true about the x5, they are all over the place, my observation is that at least 85% of them if not more are v6s. Man, to put an x3 engine into a much bigger & heavier x5....... that thing crawls. :dunno: The only way to do an x5 is with a v8, period.

We own FX45, that's my wife's car. It gets 14mpg, but fortunately we don't drive much, maybe 7-8K miles a year. FX handles well (20" rims), ride is quite harsh, great in show. Now, it does not compete with X3, it competes with X5. We looked at X5 and didn't like it - it looks like SUV :thumbdwn: , box and all. IF that's what you want - be my guest :D FX looks bold and different. And it is 10 grand cheaper. Besides, when we are about to buy a car that we are going to own for 7-8 years (FX is in its 5th year) AND woman is going to drive one with kid(s), we buy Japanese. Sorry, BMW is not on top of the reliability list, Lexus/Infiniti/Acura are. Yeah, service is not included with FX, but it is way cheaper than BMW service and the car is way less expensive, so we can live with it.

dgboggs
04-13-2007, 12:37 PM
We own FX45, that's my wife's car. It gets 14mpg, but fortunately we don't drive much, maybe 7-8K miles a year. FX handles well (20" rims), ride is quite harsh, great in show. Now, it does not compete with X3, it competes with X5. We looked at X5 and didn't like it - it looks like SUV :thumbdwn: , box and all. IF that's what you want - be my guest :D FX looks bold and different. And it is 10 grand cheaper. Besides, when we are about to buy a car that we are going to own for 7-8 years (FX is in its 5th year) AND woman is going to drive one with kid(s), we buy Japanese. Sorry, BMW is not on top of the reliability list, Lexus/Infiniti/Acura are. Yeah, service is not included with FX, but it is way cheaper than BMW service and the car is way less expensive, so we can live with it.

Smart man.

BTW- the newer FX's are a MUCH nicer ride.

I disagree though- the X5 looks just killer.

dug01
04-13-2007, 04:24 PM
Smart man.

BTW- the newer FX's are a MUCH nicer ride.

Your right about the X5--the FX is goofy looking..the Murano is a much more practical vehicle --more room, better ride and mileage--and cheaper--I never read a review of the fx That was that good.
:dunno:

fearFX
04-18-2007, 01:03 AM
I own the 04' FX35 and been driving it for almost 3 yrs now and my wife owns the 06' X3 for about a year now.

1. Exterior - I think the FX wins here... its been out for almost 5 years now but still very destinct and sexy. People tends to look twice with the FX.
2. Handling - Stock form X3 wins but not by much... maybe because of the factory STB. My FX is now lowered with STB and handling is superb.
3. Interior - a. Dashboard - FX wins as BMW interior looks very much dated.
b. Seats - X3 leather is very good and heats up much faster.
c. Cargo - X3 has a bigger cargo space, the only thing is that the 2nd row
seats does not fold flat.
d. Sound system - FX... its pretty good for a bose and has a subwoofer.
4. Gas milage - My FX got better gas milage, avg aroung 18mpg city and X3 has like 17mpg city. Not much.
5. AWD and snow handling - X3 wins here... I felt more safe driving it. FX is AWD only till it hits 20mph then its rear wheel. My car slips and slides everywhere on stock tires.
6. Engine response - FX wins here in either auto or manu-matic. My car revs faster and very fast reponse when you hit the gas.
7. Faster - I feel the FX is much faster.
8. Suspension - X3 is more forgiving on bumpy road.

Features that X3 has that I like:
1. Panoramic moonroof
2. Headlights that adjust with steering
3. Passenger mirror that tilts down during reverse.
4. Heated steering wheel.
5. BMW assist.

Features that FX has that I like:
1. Better NAV.
2. The gauges tilts with the steering wheel powered too.
3. Very MOD friendly and can be done cheaply too.
4. Best bang for buck in terms of performance and technology.
5. Power.

crazybelgian
04-18-2007, 05:42 AM
pretty subjective review, interesting none the less

Ugly Bear
04-18-2007, 01:10 PM
Smart man.

New X5 - yes. Not one from 2003.

Ugly Bear
04-18-2007, 01:11 PM
5. AWD and snow handling - X3 wins here... I felt more safe driving it. FX is AWD only till it hits 20mph then its rear wheel. My car slips and slides everywhere on stock tires.

I always press Lock AWD when I am about to drive FX in snow. Oh, and stock tires are crap.