PDA

View Full Version : Transmission "Jumping"

hq
03-21-2007, 11:02 AM
I recently purchased an '04 525i (17k miles). I love the car, but had a problem where the car would almost "jump" when I let up off of the brake after a stop (red light etc..) The transition from neutral to 1st was bad. I have an AUTO and this will only happen in regular drive mode (not sport).

I had the dealer check it out, and the service rep says that they were able to reproduce the problem and the tech is checking it out. Now, it's been about a week with no resolution.

Today I was informed that they opened up a PUMA case for my issue (not sure how long that will take).

But has anyone had any similar problems?

I miss my car and want it back! :)

Thanks!

hq
03-22-2007, 11:35 AM
so i got a call from the service rep this morning.. bmw responded to the puma case and told them to replace the entire transmission.

... interesting.

another week before i get my car back now :( (they have to order it, and then replace).

Bart001
03-22-2007, 11:49 AM
I recently purchased an '04 525i (17k miles). I love the car, but had a problem where the car would almost "jump" when I let up off of the brake after a stop (red light etc..) The transition from neutral to 1st was bad. I have an AUTO and this will only happen in regular drive mode (not sport).

I had the dealer check it out, and the service rep says that they were able to reproduce the problem and the tech is checking it out. Now, it's been about a week with no resolution.

Today I was informed that they opened up a PUMA case for my issue (not sure how long that will take).

But has anyone had any similar problems?

I miss my car and want it back! :)

Thanks!

First, this isnt a "neutral to first" issue as the car is never in neutral while in Drive.

There is a known issue about very hard/harsh downshifts from 2nd to 1st, as can happen if you come to a rolling stop at a stop sign. That issue is fixable with a software update. My 2005 exhibited that, and with an update in early March it has totally gone away.

Wildcat545
03-23-2007, 01:25 PM
First, this isnt a "neutral to first" issue as the car is never in neutral while in Drive.

There is a known issue about very hard/harsh downshifts from 2nd to 1st, as can happen if you come to a rolling stop at a stop sign. That issue is fixable with a software update. My 2005 exhibited that, and with an update in early March it has totally gone away.

It's also important that, when they update to the latest Progman (currently it's version 25), they should execute the "2-1 Tip-in Code" procedure. If you just update the Progman without running this module, the transmission fix won't be applied.

Wildcat545
03-23-2007, 09:07 PM
It's also important that, when they update to the latest Progman (currently it's version 25), they should execute the "2-1 Tip-in Code" procedure. If you just update the Progman without running this module, the transmission fix won't be applied.

Wait, scratch that. The "Tip-in Code" only applies to 545s. Not sure what the issue might be with your 525. Sorry for the confusion. :tsk: :banghead: :slap: