PDA

View Full Version : Warranty Ending X3 Service Questions

Simple Pleasure
03-22-2007, 06:40 AM
I am almost at 50,000 miles on my 05 X3 3.0 Sport Pkg., I was an ASE Certified Master Auto Tech for 20 yrs., (GM) and I am frustrated as to the lack of information available to repair this model. I feel like a fish out of water when I am standing at the service counter, so after next month I am on my own. My questions are as follows;
1.) Source for any Service Manuals.
2.) Specific procedure for bleeding brakes, any order RF, LR etc., any ABS computer
concerns?
3.) Procedure for resetting the oil service indicator.
4.) Any additional parts needed to replace rotors and pads, and a source for parts.
5.) Any thoughts on oil, I have been using the recommended Castrol but I have been
reading more about Mobile 1, 0W-40.
Thanks in advance for your replys, Rich.

UncleJ
03-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Rich, I have the feeling that BMWNA doesn't want anyone to work on their own cars. It is hard to get the do it yourself info that we used to take for granted back in the day. There are some decent manuals by Bentley Publishers but these seem to end about '02. I guess anyone with a newer car is expected to use a dealer or dedicated service shop for virtually everything except perhaps air filter replacement and maybe oil changes although these too are becoming difficult with some cars. There are probably some other sources out there but I am not aware of them. I gave up working on my own car when the computers started doing everything and it got too hard for me to figure it all out without diagnostic equipment. I still check the air in my tires tho'. Good luck!

Simple Pleasure
03-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the reply, but maybe I was in the business too long, I know what can happen. I will still handle most items myself, I just don't have access to a Tech 2 scanner ($6,000) to do anything other than the PCM, not worth it to buy for just two cars.