PDA

View Full Version : Anthracite headliner question

aficionado
03-22-2007, 08:14 PM
With a black leather interior what color is the Anthracite headliner?

Is Anthracite a lighter color?

I was in a GS350 the other day and the contrast between the lighter headliner and the black leather was nice. If Anthracite is just black I wouldn't get it, but a contrasting color might work.

thanks in advance.

Also, any Pics??

munich5
03-22-2007, 08:24 PM
Anthracite is basically Black in color. It can been seen in X5 Models with the sport package. Makes for a very sporty feel with clean lines.

I was in a GS350 the other day and the contrast between the lighter headliner and the black leather was nice. If Anthracite is just black I wouldn't get it, but a contrasting color might work.

thanks in advance.

Also, any Pics??

dirty Sanchez
03-23-2007, 04:07 AM

thanks in advance.

Also, any Pics??

Here are a few from my 550...

okiemark
03-23-2007, 05:47 AM
Nice pics :thumbup:

bmwfanwashdc
03-23-2007, 06:30 AM
are you guys talking about anthracite HEADLINER or the mapel wood trim?? I have a light grey headliner with blk interior with antracite wood trip in my 545i.

Mac Daddy
03-23-2007, 06:39 AM
are you guys talking about anthracite HEADLINER or the mapel wood trim?? I have a light grey headliner with blk interior with antracite wood trip in my 545i.

Anthracite Headliner, which is a "Priority 1" option, completely separate from the wood trim. It is included in the M sport package (sports package) at least in the UK, and I believe is standard on the M5 (anyone confirm?)

I really like it with black interior. You might think it would feel too dark, but I think it looks great! :thumbup:

NASA43
03-23-2007, 07:09 AM
Anthracite Headliner, which is a "Priority 1" option, completely separate from the wood trim. It is included in the M sport package (sports package) at least in the UK, and I believe is standard on the M5 (anyone confirm?)

I really like it with black interior. You might think it would feel too dark, but I think it looks great! :thumbup:

I agree with you. I got it because I had it in my 330i and loved it. It came with the Performance Pkg. In addition to the dark color, it is a different material than the standard headliner. Personally, I love the all-black look. I even got the Anthracite Maple wood trim.

bmwfanwashdc
03-23-2007, 07:15 AM
i have a 335 vert on order now. i will have to see if they can get anthracite headliner in that. i do like the all black look. thanks

aficionado
03-23-2007, 11:33 AM
So, it's more than the headliner?? It's also the material used throughout the car??

The 'plastic', for lack of a better word.

munich5
03-23-2007, 11:44 AM
So, it's more than the headliner?? It's also the material used throughout the car??

The 'plastic', for lack of a better word.

The Anthracite "Headliner" is simply the "Roof" area of the car, in this case black in color. Anthracite Trim refers to the wood option on the car. In 2008 Models, BMW is offering Anthracite Bamboo Wood Trim as an option.

1994_RX-7_Tour
03-25-2007, 11:37 PM
I've not seen anthracite headliner in a BMW yet - but am interested to see it since I believe it is a "NC" (no-charge) option for 2008 5-series. If anyone can confirm for us below it would be greatly appreciated:

1) The anthracite headliner is positioned interior of roofline, along the door openings - all the way down the A-pillar on the sides of the windshield? Does it extend all the way back of the interior roof to the C-pillar on sides of rear window? Down the B-pillar at all?

2) Confirm that the width of headliner is in the 2-5 inch range (unsure exactly?) Point is - the roof color itself might contrast greatly with the headliner.... example - if I get a cream color interior, I wonder how good / bad anthracite headliner would look.... assuming most of interior roof color would be cream....

3) Anyone with actual pictures of anthracite headliner (of any kind, but particularly with lighter-colored interior) - would love to see them posted for general viewing.

Thanks!

RD@VA
03-26-2007, 06:29 AM
The anthracite headliner for 2008 5 series is not a No charge option. I have it on order for my 535xi and it is a $500 option. I am picking up my car in May so will post pics when I get it - if you go to the BMW UK site, you can configure a 5er with Anthracite Headliner and do a 360 degree view which will give you an idea of the extent of it's coverage - but in short, the regular gray headliner is replaced with the black one so all the pillars where the gray was originally there is now black. Also, beige interior comes with beige headliner and not the gray one.

1994_RX-7_Tour
03-26-2007, 08:47 AM
The anthracite headliner for 2008 5 series is not a No charge option. I have it on order for my 535xi and it is a $500 option. I am picking up my car in May so will post pics when I get it - if you go to the BMW UK site, you can configure a 5er with Anthracite Headliner and do a 360 degree view which will give you an idea of the extent of it's coverage - but in short, the regular gray headliner is replaced with the black one so all the pillars where the gray was originally there is now black. Also, beige interior comes with beige headliner and not the gray one.

Thanks for great reply! I'll check the UK configurator for a look-see - forgot about that. Also - I should have remembered I saw the option as a "Priority 1 option" on the invoice sheet... not sure if it's worth $500 now... will have to decide later I guess.

NASA43
03-26-2007, 10:45 AM

It is also a different material. It is a felt-like material. I took a picture Saturday that I will post when I get home.

1994_RX-7_Tour
03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
It is also a different material. It is a felt-like material. I took a picture Saturday that I will post when I get home.

Thanks - looking forward to your pic. So if I pay the $500 for anthracite headliner... is that the felt with an anthracite color - or is it an actual wood headliner? I thought it was wood...

appreciate it!

jcflys
03-26-2007, 01:20 PM
No it looks kind of like a fuzy suede material. Look at some of the M5 forums where guys have posted pics of the headliner. It is fabric and not wood. It is really a cool looking headliner. I have it on order with my car.

NASA43
03-26-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks - looking forward to your pic. So if I pay the $500 for anthracite headliner... is that the felt with an anthracite color - or is it an actual wood headliner? I thought it was wood...

appreciate it!

Here you go.

1994_RX-7_Tour
03-26-2007, 08:00 PM
Here you go.

Nice pic - thanks - so it looks like the anthracite headliner covers the entire roof, not just around the doors pillars....

I definitely need to see this in person on a car at the dealer.... appreciate the photo!

stevepow
03-27-2007, 10:06 AM
Guys, the M5 headliner is Alcantara (http://www.alcantara.com/) - looks like suede and is damn nice - whereas the Anthracite Headliner in the 5s is a fuzzy looking cloth. BIG Difference. I got it with my car and I like the color scheme.

It is NOT Black either. A Charcoal Gray is more like it. Definitely gives the interior a different mood.

It is difficult to capture it well in a photo - although NASA43's pic is pretty much it. I made a few attempts in the View My Garage Link over there on the top right corner of the post: http://directory.bimmerfest.com/photo.php?action=viewPhoto&PhId=674fef1e44269ec15b264258c3bed7f6

1994_RX-7_Tour
03-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Thanks Steve - helpful info. What do people think about the anthracite headliner option with a cream leather interior? Exterior would be deep sea blue or carbon black...

stevepow
03-30-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks Steve - helpful info. What do people think about the anthracite headliner option with a cream leather interior? Exterior would be deep sea blue or carbon black...

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. But I may have some sort of mono-chromatic affliction.

abe
07-06-2007, 10:29 PM
I can't believe they actually charge for this option. Doesn't it seem like if you have a black interior (or charcoal, w/e) you should have a black headliner? Doesn't the headliner match the interior? What if you have a tan interior? What color is the headliner?

anlauf
07-06-2007, 10:42 PM
Guys, the M5 headliner is Alcantara (http://www.alcantara.com/) - looks like suede and is damn nice - whereas the Anthracite Headliner in the 5s is a fuzzy looking cloth. BIG Difference. I got it with my car and I like the color scheme.

It is NOT Black either. A Charcoal Gray is more like it. Definitely gives the interior a different mood.

It is difficult to capture it well in a photo - although NASA43's pic is pretty much it. I made a few attempts in the View My Garage Link over there on the top right corner of the post: http://directory.bimmerfest.com/photo.php?action=viewPhoto&PhId=674fef1e44269ec15b264258c3bed7f6

I looked at this before my 06 ED and ultimately made the choice that it was too dark and too dingy with a black leather interior. For a CA car, I made the right decision for me to stick with the light gray headliner. If you intend to get black leather and the anthracite wood trim....I'd say it's too much of a "dark/good" thing.

stevepow
07-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Dark yes, dingy no :) - very elegant really. My e39 M5 was like this, so I am used to it.

But I agree, it doesn't seem very "California". ;)

p3style
07-10-2007, 06:23 PM
Anyone know if can have this retrofitted - and if so, how costly it would be?

Thanks!

tjgolden
07-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Thanks!

A car upholstery shop does headliners relatively cheaply. You can choose the material or bring in you own.

p3style
07-10-2007, 09:19 PM
Is the sunroof cover also dark grey with anthacite headliner package? Im assumin no custom shop can replace that, right?

gotoschoolhere
07-10-2007, 10:01 PM

Thanks!

A car upholstery shop does headliners relatively cheaply. You can choose the material or bring in you own.

I would suggest alcantara headliner...:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: If you are going to spend the money, then at least get a really cool material.

sevendown
07-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Is this an option available in the US? I am considering a 535i in Space Gray exterior, Gray leather interior, anthracite bamboo trim, and now after seeing these pictures, an anthracite headliner. Any thoughts? (and is it available in the US?)

BMWSTL
07-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Is this an option available in the US? I am considering a 535i in Space Gray exterior, Gray leather interior, anthracite bamboo trim, and now after seeing these pictures, an anthracite headliner. Any thoughts? (and is it available in the US?)

Available as a Priority One option (not listed on BMW's web site) on an ordered car (rarely ordered by the dealers for a spec car) for $500 MSRP, $455 invoice. Personally, I wouldn't do an anthracite headliner with gray leather, but to each his or her own.

Lou

sevendown
07-11-2007, 08:21 PM
I went to the UK website and was able to compare the regular headliner to the anthracite one. At least with gray leather seats, the regular headliner appears to be the same color as the seats -- gray. I have a '99 528i with the same colors (gray leather and gray headliner).

On the UK site I can get just a little idea of what the anthracite headliner looks like with gray leather. It looked ok from what I could see, but has anyone had any real world experience?

To BMWSTL -- what is it that you don't like about the combination?

p3style
07-14-2007, 01:55 PM

Hi, Steve - I see you are very active in the posts - thanks very much!

Hey you have the anthracite headliner right? Are the A pillars also included? I've seen some pics and they still look grey?

djay
07-14-2007, 05:20 PM
Is this an option or standard on 550? anybody know?

SSBaronM5
07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
I just got my order sheet from the dealer. The Anthracite is not standard.

I got the Carbon Black Metallic / Black Dakota Leather / Bamboo Anthracite / Anthracite headliner.

Its very shaggadelic..