PDA

View Full Version : 2006 X3 Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) and buttons

DriverBob
03-23-2007, 07:42 AM
The X3 Driver's Reference Guide (page 13) indicates that
- push DTC briefly to disable DSC and enable DTC
- push DTC for a long time to disable both DSC and DTC

The Owner's Manual for Vehicle (page 49) says
- push DTC button
DSC lights up on dash
DSC disabled
simulation of limited slip enabled

Roundel indicates that one example action of disabling DSC is disabling the "leadfoot" gas override function.

In my car, independent of how many times or how long the button is pushed or in what sequence of short/long, the only visual indication is that the DSC light goes on or off. The combination of DSC and brake light that some mention in forums or in print is never observed.

I'd say that the features either are not well documented in the car manuals, or that there's a flaw in my instance of it.

I've looked at a number of postings, but none has pinpointed the descrepancy above.

AzNMpower32
03-23-2007, 10:18 AM
In my car, independent of how many times or how long the button is pushed or in what sequence of short/long, the only visual indication is that the DSC light goes on or off. The combination of DSC and brake light that some mention in forums or in print is never observed.

I'd say that the features either are not well documented in the car manuals, or that there's a flaw in my instance of it.
On the X3, there's no way to know whether you're in DTC or DSC off mode. By default, DSC (stability) and DTC (traction) are both on fully upon start up. When the light is off, it is in normal (full on) operation. If the light is on, then some portion or all of the electronic nannies are disabled.

A brief press of the DSC button shuts off stability and leaves it in DTC mode. This allows some limited wheelspin, which is useful in deep snow or sand conditions. It will still rein in the car if you seriously start sliding via brake intervention.

If you hold the DSC button for 3+ seconds, it will shut off both traction and stability, leaving you with xDrive, ABS, and your own driving skills. Lots of fun on the track and in aggressive driving, but there really is no safety net if it all goes wrong.

jdeday
03-24-2007, 07:11 AM
The X3 Driver's Reference Guide (page 13) indicates that
- push DTC briefly to disable DSC and enable DTC
- push DTC for a long time to disable both DSC and DTC

The Owner's Manual for Vehicle (page 49) says
- push DTC button
DSC lights up on dash
DSC disabled
simulation of limited slip enabled

Roundel indicates that one example action of disabling DSC is disabling the "leadfoot" gas override function.

I've looked at a number of postings, but none has pinpointed the descrepancy above.

I think that DTC was only implemented on the 2007 X3 models.

Jeff